BIG CMC announcement.

Tony G

So again I agree that nothing substitutes for seat time for new guys.

ps

Except the new increased entry costs to be competitive.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffburch

• K Shaw

• mitchntx1548534714

• King Matt1548534716

From newer cars to upgraded parts, better brakes, and bigger wheels and tires, make no mistake that the cost of entry into CMC is going up. For current competitors, the incremental changes are an opportunity to go a little faster and brake a little harder for a reasonable amount of money. But hopefully the changes will also make the series more attractive to people who might otherwise have opted for a different series. As we have seen, these are not always complete newbies, but often people stepping in from other organizations, down or over from other classes, or up from HDPE/TT.

From newer cars to upgraded parts, better brakes, and bigger wheels and tires, make no mistake that the cost of entry into CMC is going up. For current competitors, the incremental changes are an opportunity to go a little faster and brake a little harder for a reasonable amount of money. But hopefully the changes will also make the series more attractive to people who might otherwise have opted for a different series. As we have seen, these are not always complete newbies, but often people stepping in from other organizations, down or over from other classes, or up from HDPE/TT.

As opposed to no change and no one having to seriously re-tool and spend no money at all to race into teh future.

I still don't understand opting to change for potential newbs at the expense of those already here. That makes no sense, regardless of the spin you try and make.

Now, if the rank and file of CMC dwindles to the point of it being a burden, then combine. But it appears to this humble servant of the racing Gods, both CMC and CMC2 are doing quite well. So let's change it ...

Just the Parts list and some specs for the GM crate engine for your viewing pleasure. The horse power rating is at the crankshaft.

350/290 HP Tech Specs

Block Part Number: 10066034

Block Type: Cast iron with 4-bolt main caps

Bore x stroke (in): 4.00 x 3.48

Camshaft duration (@.050 in): 222 degree intake / 222 degree exhaust

Camshaft lift (in): .450 intake / .460 exhaust

Camshaft Part Number: 3896962

Camshaft type: Hydraulic flat tappet

Compression ratio: 8.5:1

Connecting Rod Part Number: 10108688

Connecting rods Type: Powdered metal steel

Crankshaft Part Number: 93426651

Crankshaft Type: Nodular iron

Cylinder head Part Number: 93438648

Cylinder head Type: Iron; 76 cc chambers

Displacement (cu in): 350

Engine Name: 350/290 HP:

Engine type: Chevy small-block V-8

Ignition timing: 34 degree total BTDC

Maximum rpm: 5100

Piston Part Number: 12514101

Pistons Type: Cast aluminum

Recommended fuel: 87 octane

Rocker arm ratio: 1.5:1

Rocker arms Part Number: 10089648

Rocker arms Type: Stamped steel

Valve size (in): 1.94 intake / 1.50 exhaust

Just the Parts list and some specs for the GM crate engine for your viewing pleasure. The horse power rating is at the crankshaft.

350/290 HP Tech Specs

Block Part Number: 10066034

Block Type: Cast iron with 4-bolt main caps

Bore x stroke (in): 4.00 x 3.48

Camshaft duration (@.050 in): 222 degree intake / 222 degree exhaust

Camshaft lift (in): .450 intake / .460 exhaust

Camshaft Part Number: 3896962

Camshaft type: Hydraulic flat tappet

Compression ratio: 8.5:1

Connecting Rod Part Number: 10108688

Connecting rods Type: Powdered metal steel

Crankshaft Part Number: 93426651

Crankshaft Type: Nodular iron

Cylinder head Part Number: 93438648

Cylinder head Type: Iron; 76 cc chambers

Displacement (cu in): 350

Engine Name: 350/290 HP:

Engine type: Chevy small-block V-8

Ignition timing: 34 degree total BTDC

Maximum rpm: 5100

Piston Part Number: 12514101

Pistons Type: Cast aluminum

Recommended fuel: 87 octane

Rocker arm ratio: 1.5:1

Rocker arms Part Number: 10089648

Rocker arms Type: Stamped steel

Valve size (in): 1.94 intake / 1.50 exhaust

I have that engine in my Corvette and it is a good piece, but Scoggin Dickey lists that engine for almost $1,900. That is a little bit more than the $600 I have in the 305 for my CMC project. I'm not racing in CMC yet, but I have invested quite a bit of money and time into a car for the old rules, and to be honest, I'm not thrilled about the announcement. I'm about to finish up the car with things like exhaust, etc. and would really like to see some specifics on the new 305 engine package.

AT

I'm with JB on the big brakes. Spend all you want if it makes you feel fast without aero you can't stop any better than what we have now. I could've locked up my brakes every lap at the nats what more do you want?

I have no opinion on the big tires, wheels, I am sure they are faster but why exactly do we need them? Oh, cause of the bigger brakes, see above.

So basically all this whining is over 20 or 30 hp, you are kidding right!

Some headers should get almost everyone there, right? What are we talking $400 bucks? Besides the cars will sound way cooler.

Give me a brake(no pun intended) this is MOTORSPORTS they aren't cheap!

This oh my engine is in the shop crap or I am building a car and now I will have to stop crap is just that crap, build it and add the headers later or don't. You can always just sit around and whine.

There will always be the wanna be's who will bitch and moan and will never show up no matter what. They can stay home as far as I am concerned and they probably would have anyway.

And don't get pissed Mitch you just like to stir the pot I know what a big softie you are!

I am not racing this year cause I am broke it sucks but I still go and instruct. Cause I love the people and that is why we all go not for some plastic trophy.

I love this class and I really love the people in it. I just wish I would have stayed in it. Get over yourselves!

Sorry I was late to the party, this ends my rant.

And there are plenty of people who will still get beat by cars that are 20 horse down on them. [cough]CMC-2 at the Nationals.[/cough]

This oh my engine is in the shop crap or I am building a car and now I will have to stop crap is just that crap, build it and add the headers later or don't. You can always just sit around and whine.

Very nice. Tell the guy to just build the motor. THEN have the rules come out saying such and such cam is approved. That's productive. You must work for management.

Get off your high horse. These guys are asking what the rules changes will likely be. As of now, there is no gaurantee that even headers will be allowed. Nothing is set in stone yet.

So, back to my one real question that really matters:

When do we get a first look at the proposed rule set to combine the classes?

Jeff

Bull Shit!

30 horse from a set of headers alone on a 5L?

Bull Shit.

Prove it.

Put up, or shut up.

jb

Right from Summit's website (BBK Performance 1512 headers for a 5.0L Ford in a Fox3 chassis):

Add 8 to 20 more horsepower, and great looks too.

Give me a brake(no pun intended) this is MOTORSPORTS they aren't cheap!

You want to just open up the engine/computer rules as long as it's dyno limited to 230/300??? If you don't care at all about cost containment, where do you want to draw the line?

This oh my engine is in the shop crap or I am building a car and now I will have to stop crap is just that crap, build it and add the headers later or don't. You can always just sit around and whine. There will always be the wanna be's who will bitch and moan and will never show up no matter what. They can stay home as far as I am concerned and they probably would have anyway.

MAN, that's really encouraging to the new folks!

Bull Shit!

30 horse from a set of headers alone on a 5L?

Bull Shit.

Prove it.

Put up, or shut up.

jb

did i say 30 from headers?

i think i said 15.

Some headers should get almost everyone there, right? What are we talking $400 bucks?

I'm sure JB was refering to this...

Some headers should get almost everyone there, right? What are we talking $400 bucks?

I'm sure JB was refering to this...

For some $400 isnt a big deal, you would think others who are broke and not racing would say $400 is a big deal.

I should clarify that I was whining a bit in earlier posts but after talking to those in my CMC group who know Ford motors the extra 20-30 hp wont be a big deal. My apologies for jumping the gun and getting negative on the changes so quickly. We'll be ready for 2010 with whatever rules are in place

Edited by Guest

Adam -

I hope you're trying to be funny...

Funny, sarcastic.....you name it.

Yes, it was to promote a chuckle....we all know how various aftermarket manufacturers spout their product as "Add 40hp to your car in 10 minutes with our new whirley-gig!".

Just pok'n fun. I'm especially not advocating the use of long tube headers.