Nationals Updates

Tony G

Sorry guys, I think you may be hearing a bit of a different story when the rest of the racers chime in. Unfortunately after leading the first two laps and watching Glenn display some of the worst sportmanship I have ever witnessed. I was graced with a spark plug wire not fully connected and it fell off, putting me to 7 cylinders and slowly drifting back. My chances were obviously done. But whereas I would have loved to give a congrats to glenn (or the ACTUAL) national champion, what he did to everyone on track was some of the stupidest stuff I have ever seen! Glenn is a hack, and his BJ whoops I mean JB of a butt buddy is flat out comical! Defending him like that wheb the top 5 cars in CMC came in cursing car 70! What a let down, of what most had hoped to be a great race! Again, I had my issue (unfortunately running 3 classes, I asked my dad to change the plugs in my car, and he didn't secure number 7 plug wire! but that's racing! Great meeting everyone else out there! And I'm a vocal guy, who leaves it at the track, I had plenty encouraging me to throw paper, but I just don't run that way. Though Glenn was beggin for my camera when he and bob hit the day before, and go figure it was again Glenn's fault! What a piece of work!

Wow, I know emotions are running high and I know nothing of what happened during this event, but this is a pretty weak way of wrapping it up.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tony G

• Dave Schotz

• Glenn

• koserv

Sorry guys, I think you may be hearing a bit of a different story when the rest of the racers chime in. Unfortunately after leading the first two laps and watching Glenn display some of the worst sportmanship I have ever witnessed. I was graced with a spark plug wire not fully connected and it fell off, putting me to 7 cylinders and slowly drifting back. My chances were obviously done. But whereas I would have loved to give a congrats to glenn (or the ACTUAL) national champion, what he did to everyone on track was some of the stupidest stuff I have ever seen! Glenn is a hack, and his BJ whoops I mean JB of a butt buddy is flat out comical! Defending him like that wheb the top 5 cars in CMC came in cursing car 70! What a let down, of what most had hoped to be a great race! Again, I had my issue (unfortunately running 3 classes, I asked my dad to change the plugs in my car, and he didn't secure number 7 plug wire! but that's racing! Great meeting everyone else out there! And I'm a vocal guy, who leaves it at the track, I had plenty encouraging me to throw paper, but I just don't run that way. Though Glenn was beggin for my camera when he and bob hit the day before, and go figure it was again Glenn's fault! What a piece of work!

Dave

Sorry to here about the plug and in-class issues.

And FWIW, congrats on your PTB Win and your 5th in AI!

Wow, I know emotions are running high and I know nothing of what happened during this event, but this is a pretty weak way of wrapping it up.

Having raced with Dave, I know he is a true sportsman. Not much internet access from the track so I'm sure more will chime in as it goes along.

Lets see what the others have to say as Dave mentioned the top 5 not being happy.

You're right, you weren't there.

But let me give you this visual; Matt King driving along side Glenn giving him the middle finger full on outside his window net! I have it all on tape!

watching Glenn display some of the worst sportmanship I have ever witnessed.

Dave, you just can't drop a turd like that out there and then go away.

Fill in the gaps. I've heard a couple different versions. I'd like to hear yours.

Thanks Kevin, PTB Championship was cool! But raicng with AI was by far the most fun and challenging! What a great group of guys!

Sorry Mitch, doing this all from a blackberry stuck at columbus airport. But just 'some' of my specific examples was Glenn driving into the entire left side of my car on a straight away that bends right... Yet he is turning his wheel left into mine! He then did it again (just prior) on the long back straight... Imagine I've run 3 wide on the back straight, but it's just Glenn and I yet he's gotta rub cars?

The only bump I felt was completely appropriate was the bump from behind, my crap was on 7 cylinders and so while I was exiting the corner ahead of him, he had no idea I was so down on power, and in pulling close to draft he bumped my rear bumper, that is to be expected, as is possibly checking up too much. But constant door to door when ther is only 2 of you on a straight??? That crap isn't racing! We had great races all through the esses side to side and don't touch! But the straight away crap repeatedly is sad.

But again as BJ said this is me just on sour grapes? Yet I couldn't have won anyways! I had 7 cylinders! It was just a shame how this dude drove, and he'll have to live with that.

He did tell me you and he were door handle to door handle and made contact. He said the first contact slightly kicked out his rear, made it wiggle and he steered to keep control and that Matt King was on his door to his right.

Not much wiggle room, from the accounts I've heard so far.

It's too bad your car was ailing.

Wow, if that is what he thinks... Matt King wasn't in the picture on turn 11 up to 12 when this happened... Bob was behind us... But he hit me so many times... like I said 'some of them' can be considered racing... others were far from it.

Yeah... as for the ailing car... I'll tell you what's amazing... I had the car down like a 'Spec Miata' by the end of the race... my BEST LAP was on lap 16!!! With only 7 Cylinders! Now... I couldn't get a good lap on lap 1 or 2... because of barnstormer boy smashing in the side of my car every chance he could get. But I really had the speed maintenance thing down... even though I was having to Run 3rd gear clear from turn 7 up to the front straight.

Again... I wish it would have ended better. (not saying the plug wire thing... that's racing)... just the lack of sportmanship by Glenn was something I've not seen in anyone who believes they have talent. He clearly has a lot of growing up to do... and he knows he didn't win that race.

Either did I... But the other guys may have a different opinion of where their position should have been.

I would have been 5th with or without the hits... that's why BJ's Sour Grapes comment was complete BS... Glenn didn't cost me a position... I cost myself that.

Dave

PS... have they said what the 'official results' are yet? I'm not there any more... would be interesting to hear...

Dave, I'm not getting in the middle. Just looking for all the versions. As you know, everyone has a version.

I will tell you this ... had Adam had ANY indication of wrong-doing, he would have gladly pulled the plug on Mr. Landrum.

Have a safe flight.

It's racing... no big deal. Time heals all.

And I understand... it's going to be hard for anyone from Texas, to go against one of their own.

Congrats to all that showed up for the race, it was great getting to meet everyone, and put names w/ faces.

Dave

And I understand... it's going to be hard for anyone from Texas, to go against one of their own.

Dave

Don't kid yourself. It's fair game and open season here in Texas.

And people wonder why the turnout is low.

Dave.....right or wrong, I really admire the fact that you called it like you saw it. Problems can't be solved if drivers just sit back and restrain what they think about any on-track issues. Out here in the East all on-track issues are hashed out openly in front of the entire group with the goal of improving how we race against each other.

Kent

Dave

Don't kid yourself. It's fair game and open season here in Texas.

Mitch is right on this. We don't play favs.

JJ

Would like to hear from Matt and Bob.

Anything any of us say means squat since we were not there.

Let's get the other drivers comments here to be fair to all.

Time will tell all in a day or so.

Tony Guaglione

Would like to hear from Matt and Bob.

Anything any of us say means squat since we were not there.

Let's get the other drivers comments here to be fair to all.

Time will tell all in a day or so.

Tony Guaglione

How much video is there from all involved?

right or wrong, I really admire the fact that you called it like you saw it. Problems can't be solved if drivers just sit back and restrain what they think about any on-track issues.

Kent

I agree with Kent however the reality is that some get chastised for speaking their mind.

I too would like to hear from everyone at nats and maybe write their own personal nats review. Story's about great times even if there are some lows. Suggestions on how to improve it and the series for next year would be great.

Just hate hearing about the drama. I understand Mitch's outlook on this whole thing more and more. Much more fun to get out after a race with a big smile on your face with the same big grin on the guy running in front, besides, or behind you.

Give everyone time to get home, settled, and rested. Still hoping to see some great racing vids as well.

wow Dave. wow. w/ such a major issue w/ me, you never once approched me w/ any of this.

the video of the contacted reviewed by the officials (other than Adam) all showed i didnt move at all. in fact, while being 3 wide out of the keyhole w/ you on the left, me in the middle, and King out the right, you both knocked me into one another. i talked w/ King about this at the dyno and he didnt know you were on my left. just as you didnt know he was on my right. i drove a solid and fair race. i gave you the track you had - a full car width - which i only needed to give you 3/4 and you still moved into me. how is it you can see me moving my wheel left?

and to show i'm a better man than you, when i was found at fault for the contact w/ Bob, i went to him and told him i was sorry. i didnt need to review vids and such, i took the verdict and asked for forgiveness.

before you keep trash talking me for things you were found at fault for, you should take a look at yourself and the vids that were reviewed. if in fact i did what you say, King and Bob will post the evidence to prove your case. King really doesnt like me, so i know he would if it would help his case.

so keep trash talking my name for no good reason, or call me and lets talks this out. there may be more to it than you know..... just as Matt King found out at the dyno.

my number is 214-869-9603. i'll be on the road tomorrow and can take you call any time.

And I'm a vocal guy, who leaves it at the track, I had plenty encouraging me to throw paper, but I just don't run that way.

When I was going back re-reading the posts to make sure I didn't miss anything, this statement kind of jumped out.

Dave, you won't file a protest when you KNOW you are right because "you don't run that way". Instead, you come to the internet and air the dirty laundry?

C'mon, dude ...

You should've filed the paperwork if you are that upset. Then there would have been no question. Now, it's internet finger pointing where no one wins and every one loses.

Dude, I have nothing to say to you. Your name is trash! And you're talking about 1 incident, what about rubbin on the first straight? How many times did you rub me and others? Oh wait we were all at fault! That's it!

Congrats to you, some day you'll be man enough to understand what winning is, even someone as conceded as you, has got to feel some guilt, but then again maybe not!

You weren't coming over and apologizing to anyone! We were all up in tech! You stayed buckled in your car, and weighed and dynod. You knew what you did was bs, and you weren't about to accept anything until video and paper flew. You're welcome that I left my camera and paper un contested.

Let's count how many races I've been in win or lose, and how many times I've posted something like this.

Again, what you did wasn't the reason I lost, wait maybe one of those many contacts were why my plug wire fell off! Yeah that's it! I definitely am not blaming you for that one.

And I'm a vocal guy, who leaves it at the track, I had plenty encouraging me to throw paper, but I just don't run that way.

When I was going back re-reading the posts to make sure I didn't miss anything, this statement kind of jumped out.

Dave, you won't file a protest when you KNOW you are right because "you don't run that way". Instead, you come to the internet and air the dirty laundry?

C'mon, dude ...

You should've filed the paperwork if you are that upset. Then there would have been no question. Now, it's internet finger pointing where no one wins and every one loses.

Sorry mitch, paper isn't why I win or lose a race... I am! I don't do that stuff. But I definitely will call it the way it is, popular vote or not.

I'm going to put this to rest - now.

From the beginning of the weekend, it was made 100% clear - we would follow the CCR's for ALL penalties/driver infractions. There would be no gray area, no "sliding scale". Completely by the book.

To keep everything in perspective, this was a National Championship, so everyone was on their game, for all the marbles.

The CMC race was close - some of the closest racing I've seen in awhile. Many changes for position, including the lead.

Each driver drove a hard-fought race. There were several incidents of contact during the race, nearly all of it caught on video.

It was reviewed by myself and two other officials, and we each, independently came to the same conclusion - very close racing. For each incident of contact, we looked to Appendix A to be our guide, and in each case, there was no penalty we could assess.

Glenn was, however, put on a 1 event probation for avoidable contact with an out of class car. And, in that case, the other driver bore some responsibility for the incident, as his line wasn't consistent. Glenn admitted to his portion of that mistake, and accepted his penalty with dignity.

Further - I'm not happy about the contact from this race. There was some bumping and rubbing, and I'd prefer not to see it again. But as I've already said, this is a National Event, and with it comes a higher probability of tighter racing. There a few other disappointments from the weekend, but I view them as challenges to be overcome.

When you are sitting on the other side of the flag stand, it changes one's perspective regarding on-track incidents. Unless you can see all the facts presented, watch it from the tower, and then examine the CCR for each incident, it's impossible to "arm-chair" quarterback decisions. I'd recommend that each racer take the opportunity to be a Race Director for a run group at an event, and handle contact forms after a race. You'll gain a new-found respect for our officials.

I think our run group had the lowest amount of contact out of any other - I was honored to be the Race Director for the 2008 NASA Nationals Group A bunch, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Each competitor deserves respect and admiration for taking the time, money and chutzpah to put out a max effort.

We could not have been successful without the efforts of Don Lariviere as the CMC Series Director - an excellent "wing-man".

Kudos to Glenn on his win, to Matt King on a hard fought and well deserved 2nd, to Bob Denton for his win on Sat and 3rd today, to my man, Chris McCombs for taking a solid, commanding 4th, and setting FL of the race, as well as to Dave Schotz for his outstanding drive in the rain on Friday and taking not just the CMC win, but the AI win in the same day!!

Now - since the contact stuff, IMO, has now been put to rest, you can now ask how and what was tech'd this year.