• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• King Matt1548534716

• Al F.

• mitchntx1548534714

here is the youtube link to it, and its quality is crap.

i'm not sure if he will link the full res version from out site or not. i'll see if he can do it for a couple days.

once again Matt - sorry for the contact.

i remember telling myself that i was F'ed. you were on the inside and there was no way i was gonna make it work around the outside. i knew my only chance was under braking. i was shocked when it worked. you were always making up lots of ground under braking. T2 was the big one.

consider the editing media. my raw avi files from the Go Pro are awsome for the price point. the sound is not so great.

i tried editing one of my vids from it and it compressed to quality to crap.

Agree on all those points. Do you know what Mitch uses to edit? I tried Final Cut Pro and the export back to AVI or Mpeg4 was awful, but the raw AVI file is too large to post.

Sorry. I'm on a business trip to Las Vegas since Sunday (one of the reasons I wasn't at Nationals to help you, Matt).

GPV issues ...

What I found was the CODEC that GoPro uses is something WM didn't like.

I use Adobe Premeire Elements to edit and it didn't like the raw AVI file either.

So I used a piece of freeware called Virtual Dub and converted the raw AVI to WMV and Elements was happy.

Something Glenn asked and I hadn't considered is instead of copying just the individual AVI files GPZV creates, copy the whole folder to the hard disk. Maybe the CODEC is embedded some how in the folder as a hidden file and that would make your PC happy. It's worth a shot ...

consider the editing media. my raw avi files from the Go Pro are awsome for the price point. the sound is not so great.

i tried editing one of my vids from it and it compressed to quality to crap.

Agree on all those points. Do you know what Mitch uses to edit? I tried Final Cut Pro and the export back to AVI or Mpeg4 was awful, but the raw AVI file is too large to post.

Sorry. I'm on a business trip to Las Vegas since Sunday (one of the reasons I wasn't at Nationals to help you, Matt).

GPV issues ...

What I found was the CODEC that GoPro uses is something WM didn't like.

I use Adobe Premeire Elements to edit and it didn't like the raw AVI file either.

So I used a piece of freeware called Virtual Dub and converted the raw AVI to WMV and Elements was happy.

Something Glenn asked and I hadn't considered is instead of copying just the individual AVI files GPZV creates, copy the whole folder to the hard disk. Maybe the CODEC is embedded some how in the folder as a hidden file and that would make your PC happy. It's worth a shot ...

MW,

after transfering the avi from the card to computer, Pinnacle Studio recognized it no problem. I cut off the front and back and rendered it to 640x480 an 320x240 versions of wmv no problem. No hidden files in there or nothing. I think those avi files are mpeg 4 encoded but don't know for sure. I will look into it further.

jb

I'm sure there is a plug-in or codec out there that will remove the interim step. I just haven't stumbled across it.

I need to do a little digging myself.

• 2 weeks later...

After much failure on my part, Mark Luna stepped in to save the day. So belatedly, here's my 08 Nationals video:

edit: new link, now with sound!

Edited by Guest

There is sound on the original and my version, but Mark was having trouble with the codec when he converted the video. New link is now up with sound.

Edited by Guest

Kudos and huge applause, Matt.

You had a wicked fast car. Every time you got shuffled back, you caught up in short order. Glenn had to drive a very defensive line to keep you behind. And every time he opened the door, you just couldn't quite get there to take advantage.

No doubt about it ... you had the car to beat.

Getting shuffled on the start and then the chance encounter with traffic was the difference.

A couple observations ...

That Mustang was awesome in the twisties, but the LT1 torque could maintain on the straights.

Matt's car was an animal on turn in and coming off the corners. He could pick up the throttle so early exiting keyhole, it was stupid!

It did seem to fall off in the last 1/3 of the race, though. Just didn't have that "pounce" factor I saw early on. If it had, Glenn would've been toast.

Congrats on a great drive.

• Members

Matt, Mitch...the videos I saw from this camera on Glenn's car were very choppy until you took the time to work your magic on them. Matt's video, other than occasionally, is much better. Whats the deal?

I was talking about the video from TWS we were watching in the paddock

Oh ... The choppiness in the paddock was purely Glenn's laptop. Not enough memory and laptop graphics.

Full motion, raw, uncompressed video takes a HUGE amount of memory (processor and graphics) and a grossly fast hard drive (was playing it off of a USB thumbdrive ... and I'm still convinced it was USB 1.0).

Matt's (I'm sure) and Glenn's TWS vid were compressed significantly. Glenn's was done in Adobe Premiere Elements. Can't speak to Matt's

Hopefully Matt will tell us what he did to get reasonable audio out of his rig.

The raw AVI video file from the GoPro looks and sounds even better than the compressed version that was uploaded by Mark. He told me used some very basic Microsoft video editing software after his "trick" editing software had trouble processing the sound. I was surprised too that the sound was as good as it is, since most GoPro clips I've seen have awful sound. I can only guess that perhaps because the camera was mounted outside the car it picked up better audio?

The camera itself is mounted on the flat part of the grille opening right next to the little Mustang horsey ornament. It clips into a mount that is attached to the bumper cover with double-sided tape.

Nice video and good race!!! Wish I could have been there.

OT:

Question about them 3rd gen wings. Anyone tech those on width? Seen two that appeared to be too wide. One at the beginning of the video (lap one) and one at the 7:05 mark or so near the start/finish line.

OT:

Question about them 3rd gen wings. Anyone tech those on width? Seen two that appeared to be too wide. One at the beginning of the video (lap one) and one at the 7:05 mark or so near the start/finish line.

That's exactly what I pointed out in that "other" thread...but I think Al's fantastic response overshadowed my smart ass comment and question.

Of course the wings were teched. You think nobody noticed them?

But the issue is that the rule is not clearly written. It limits width to the "overall outline" of the body as viewed from above perpendicular to the ground. It doesn't say that has to be the outline of the body directly below the wing. You might want to infer that was the intent of the rule, but that is not what the rule says. Those wings are as wide as the widest part of the body on a 3rd gen Firebird and there is nothing in the wing rule that says they can't be that wide.

As for the 2009 Nats at MMP, I'm not planning to go as of right now. But that could change.

That's absolutely amazing those wings were allowed with that kind of rules interpretation...especially since we were given a flat out "Absolutely Not" when we were test fitting a group 8D battery that fit perfectly well within the rules as they are/were written.