What is on the table so far for '09

Al F.

when can we expect the rules to come out... looking at buying new wheels... but size do i get? make up your minds!!! i was just wondering so i know when i can spend my $$$. =)

Rob

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rustang72

• Glenn

• Al F.

• KiMifan

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are running any of the stock Ford 16x7.5 inch wheels, you're probably better off with the 245s anyway. To run the 255 you should really use a 16x8 wheel, which Ford never made, so then you need aftermarket wheels anyway. Does your car have SN95 A-arms?
The wheels currently on the car are 16x8 Cobra R, which I was told were factory. It has the early narrow SN95 front suspension. The rears also rub under heavy compression. 1/2" flaring would solve all the problems.

16X8 for CMC, 17X9.5 for CMC2, that is the max size allowed.

CMC rules are done waiting for NASA release.

Thanks,

Tony Guaglione

What happened to 17x9 and 255/40-17 for CMC?

Dropping a V8 into a V6 car IS allowed, always has been. Same with putting a manual into an auto car. The hardest part is finding all the right parts: pedal assemblies etc. But, they are all readily available factory parts.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Al you are saying I can drop a CARBED 305 into a FOURTH gen. and run it legally in CMC.

The wheels currently on the car are 16x8 Cobra R, which I was told were factory.

Those are aftermarket replicas of the 95 Cobra R 17x9 wheel. Ford has never made a 16x8 for any Mustang, including the current S197s.

I think they are Cobra R. I'm not sure. Either way, they are commonly available legal wheels meant for an SN95 which would fit a Fox with the same 255 tires everybody else uses if there was a simple common sense rule change. We can be forced to buy more expensive faster wearing tires then we can't make them fit without spending more money. Oh yeah, this is a fair and low cost series.

Everybody I know has aftermarket wheels with non-standard offsets. Usually ~37mm which is the 2005+ offset. Most cheap aftermarket 16" wheels are SN95 offset of ~24mm. Even then, some experience rubbing with heavy suspension compression.

Not sure why you're having problems, Rustang. Exactly what rear brake setup do you have? If it's the early SN95 (1994-1998), the key is rim offset.

I'm using the MB Competition rims - 16x8 w/25mm offset, 255/55/16 RA1's. I had to push the front fenders out a bit (SN95 front control arms w/SN95 5.0L spindles) to prevent some minor rubbing issues, but nothing major.

Not sure why you're having problems, Rustang. Exactly what rear brake setup do you have? If it's the early SN95 (1994-1998), the key is rim offset.

I'm using the MB Competition rims - 16x8 w/25mm offset, 255/55/16 RA1's. I had to push the front fenders out a bit (SN95 front control arms w/SN95 5.0L spindles) to prevent some minor rubbing issues, but nothing major.

Maybe it's just that my car has had body damage and is no longer straight. Maybe if I just "push the front fenders out a bit" from what looks stock I will be fine.... except that appears to be illegal. Taking a hammer to the fenders costs us nothing. Why not make it legal? Why not just give us a maximum track width, maximum tire width, and let us make it work in whatever way is cheap/easy for us?

• Members

Jerry, where in my entire statement did you read the word "weight"? Geez man, be a little less pessimistic, everything is not the end of the world.

Rustang, get with your local ford guys or call a fox expert like Adam, Todd, or Michael (there are tons more). Foxes run in every region all day long with 255s. The area of concern was with cmc2 since the tires were getting wider, as the first page in this thread states. That's where we focused. Nobody submitted a request regarding track with on foxes in cmc. If it really is an issue, lets get a sepparate thread going and gather some facts.

Den...yes, ok, I'm still misunderstanding. You can go get a v6 4th gen and drop an LT1 into it. You can get a v6 1993 mustang and drop a 5.0 into it. You can get a 2005 V6 mustang and drop a 3V 4.6 into it. You cant buy a 2008 V6 mustang and drop an LS1 into it, nor a carbed 302 either

Rustang, get with your local ford guys
I did. They said flare the fenders or buy new wheels. One is free and illegal. One costs hundreds of dollars. If I'm going to buy new wheels, can I at least use 17x9 and 255/40-17 for CMC?
The area of concern was with cmc2 since the tires were getting wider' date=' as the first page in this thread states.[/quote']When this thread was started we were all moving to CMC2 rules, now we're not.
Edited by Guest

Rustang, rolling the fender lips is completely legal. I did mine when I built the car and beat the crap out of the lips so they are now about 1/8" thick. Be prepared to bondo and repaint if needed.

Al, why not allow Fox's in CMC the ability to modify fenders and rear quarters? This was discussed earlier in the year that the Fox suffers an extreme track width disadvantage. It has been shown that no after-market parts are needed, just some manipulating and possible repainting of a few body parts.

FWIW, all 4 of my tires rub "slightly" at certain points on the body. I have done everything possible to maximize track width all around and not destroy tires in the process.

Are there any other options we can do?

Al,

I believe the question still has not been answered as an LT1 is a 350. Bob's asking about a Carbed 305 dropped into a 4th gen and be legal in CMC.

V6 manual 4th gens are cheap, 305's are cheap, Holley 4 barrels are cheap...very inexpensive way to get into CMC.

Thanks,

Sidney Franklin

CMC #64

Rustang, rolling the fender lips is completely legal. I did mine when I built the car and beat the crap out of the lips so they are now about 1/8" thick. Be prepared to bondo and repaint if needed.
After I was locking the rear tires under acceleration in the dip between South Bend and Oak Tree at VIR... we did that. We tried to keep the outer skin looking stock while hammering everything inside flat. They still rub and occasionally grab.

After I was locking the rear tires under acceleration in the dip between South Bend and Oak Tree at VIR... we did that. We tried to keep the outer skin looking stock while hammering everything inside flat. They still rub and occasionally grab.

I feel your pain. I think everyone is aware of this problem and I just hope it gets corrected when the 2009 rules are released. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jerry, where in my entire statement did you read the word "weight"? Geez man, be a little less pessimistic, everything is not the end of the world.

Dude,

I did not intend to come off sounding pessimistic and I certainly did not act like the world is coming to an end (that happened Tue. night). You want that kind of attitude I can give it to ya? It does not give you a warm and fuzzy when not one of the directors that make the rules drive a Fox. Am I wrong? Are any of the directors Fox Mustang drivers?

JJ

Remember, not all Fox Body Mustangs have the same fender width.

Later models had wider fenders........

I still have to beat the hell out of them and roll them, usually requiring a $300 fender paint job, but they can be made to fit nicely.

• Members

Jerry, first of all, both Todd and Kent drive foxes, and Tony has owned plenty of them. Second, my statement was not meant as a challenge, just an observation. You're jumping to conclusions left and right. Re-read what I posted originally and ask yourself why you immediately jumped to foxes not getting weight adjusted.

Rustang, point made. I'll ask the boys to revisit. Stay tuned.

Sidney...carbed motors are not allowed in 4th gens regardless of cubic inches. I'm sure we could all come up with hundreds of permutations of cheap motor/chassis combinations that could work. There are TONS of permutations and the bottom line is you have to draw the line somewhere. The more permutations allowed, the more difficult the task of maintaining parity. In case you dont know, we did experiment with a 350 carb setup in a 4th gen a couple of years ago. It was far from "bolt in". We're right back to having to move the motor around, like the earlier 5.0 in an s197 discussion.

Todd drives a Fox? Todd who?

I somewhat remember a driver named Todd a few years ago but I thought he was an urban legend.

What he said.

Since I've been a NASA member no one named Todd has race in CMC in Texas.

JJ