• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rustang72

• bluebandit48

• Glenn

• mitchntx1548534714

Why would you want to run RA-1's in the rain when the R888 doesn't need to be shaved for dry runs so it would be fine in the rain?

I've got some RA1's in SOCAL if someone would like them. I leave in Jan for 4-7 months so they won't do me any good until mid season at best. Some good, some better. Free if you pay shipping or meet to pick up.

More to follow in the classifieds so look for my post there! Please don't reply to this thread for my rubbers

Why would you want to run RA-1's in the rain when the R888 doesn't need to be shaved for dry runs so it would be fine in the rain?
The Spec E30 guys would disagree on both running R888s full tread and R888s being remotely close to as good as RA-1s in the rain.

The Spec E30 guys

Cake eaters?

Whatever you want to call the crazy German econobox drivers, they have a year of experience with R888s. They say R888s need to be shaved, overheat too easily, last half as long, and suck in the rain (compared to RA-1s). That's on cars with 2/3 the weight of ours...

The Spec E30 guys

Cake eaters?

Whatever you want to call the crazy German econobox drivers, they have a year of experience with R888s. They say R888s need to be shaved, overheat too easily, last half as long, and suck in the rain (compared to RA-1s). That's on cars with 2/3 the weight of ours...

Cool! lets dump good tires and go to worse ones!! i'll have to lose some weight in my right foot.

.. i like to eat cake.. does that mean i should drive an E30?

Cool! lets dump good tires and go to worse ones!! i'll have to lose some weight in my right foot.

Not necessarily worse, just different. They are definitely faster and supposedly give more feedback at the limit.

from what i have been reading it seems like they are only faster for a little bit before they "go off quicker"

i am one to keep everything the same... i still dont see a reason to be changing ANY rules.. why is there a need to 888s anyways? is toyo not making the RA-1s any more?

from what i have been reading it seems like they are only faster for a little bit before they "go off quicker"

i am one to keep everything the same... i still dont see a reason to be changing ANY rules.. why is there a need to 888s anyways? is toyo not making the RA-1s any more?

Toyo will not pay out Toyo Bucks for RA-1s anymore. There are a couple threads here and on NASA Forums about when Toyo would pay out on which tires.

well thats kind of a bummer.. maybe we should run hoosiers in protest?
I have suggested this. It was rejected. I guess $160/set tires don't fit in with a low cost race series where we have to spend $200+ per tire. That is especially true when Hoosier sponsored race winners get 2 tires and Toyo sponsored race winners in a Toyo sponsored series get the equivalent of less than half a tire.

I have suggested this. It was rejected. I guess $160/set tires don't fit in with a low cost race series where we have to spend $200+ per tire. That is especially true when Hoosier sponsored race winners get 2 tires and Toyo sponsored race winners in a Toyo sponsored series get the equivalent of less than half a tire.

What?

Why don't we go with the best tire deal for the wekend racer? Must be politics.

JJ

What?

JJ

How many weekends can you get on a set of Hoosiers? Most I've talked to say 3 to 4 if your lucky so double what you will pay for them since Toyo's can last a full season of 7 weekends and won't hardly be any slower until they are corded, Hoosiers fall off after a couple of weekends.

Doing that math, now which tire is cheaper over a season?

Unless you win every other race, it's the Toyo's so Hoosiers would only benifit a handful of people. not exactly what you want if your trying to bring in new drivers and keep current drivers.

YMMV

What?

JJ

How many weekends can you get on a set of Hoosiers? Most I've talked to say 3 to 4 if your lucky so double what you will pay for them since Toyo's can last a full season of 7 weekends and won't hardly be any slower until they are corded, Hoosiers fall off after a couple of weekends.

Doing that math, now which tire is cheaper over a season?

Unless you win every other race, it's the Toyo's so Hoosiers would only benifit a handful of people. not exactly what you want if your trying to bring in new drivers and keep current drivers.

YMMV

Thanks Kevin,

I did not know there was that much of a difference.

JJ

from what i have seen, hoosiers are faster... rusty furgison ran an AI car with hoosiers in AIX, and ran 2+ seconds faster at mid ohio than on toyos.. for AIX, if you win you do get a free tire/tires.. not sure.. and i was told they cost just about the same..

thats what i have found...

besides, i want a purple hoosier sticker on my car

2009 list prices for the Hoosier R6 are $240/tire for the 255/50/16, $253 for the 255/45/17 and $280 for the 275/40/17. That's very close to the price for a shaved R888 in the 16-inch size, but the Toyo 17s are a lot less. Toyo prices will probably go up too for 2009 so the gap may close a little.

I guess $160/set tires don't fit in with a low cost race series where we have to spend $200+ per tire.

Where can I get some of those $40 Hoosiers.

You can get used but perfectly usable Hoosiers any day for $30-50. Try finding a regular supply of good used Toyos in a size we can use.

I guess $160/set tires don't fit in with a low cost race series where we have to spend $200+ per tire.

Where can I get some of those $40 Hoosiers.

You can get used but perfectly usable Hoosiers any day for $30-50. Try finding a regular supply of good used Toyos in a size we can use.

that should be a clue as to how good the Toyo is compaired to the Hoosier. i want a tire that works well its whole life. those $30-$50 Hoosiers are for sale cause they are slower than new by a good bit. so the guys w/ money to burn will always have new tires (new fast tires). that will make money more of a factor. thats not what CMC is about.

Glenn said it exactly. You guys should go to an American Sedan race sometime and see the stacks of tires the front guys are using. Figure 1 or 2 on track sessions and then they pitch them. Toyo's can last a season!

Sidney Franklin

Bloomington, IL

that should be a clue as to how good the Toyo is compaired to the Hoosier.
Exactly! The Toyos are crap. Nobody in a non-spec-tire class runs them. Hoosiers are plentiful used because people choose to use them. Hoosiers contingency program is far better. For the top CMC drivers, they could probably profit from running Hoosiers and go several seconds faster. For the average CMC driver, it may or may not be cheaper depending on how fast they want to go and how often they want to change tires. I'd rather have the choice to buy $40 tires than have to buy $200+ tires. I could afford to keep spare tires and it wouldn't suck nearly as much if one got destroyed. I'm sure I'm in the minority and you guys will just want to keep throwing $800+ at a set of crap tires.