TOYO tire news

Carson

Now a note on the FFR cars, they are a lot of fun to drive , but a handful maybe two handfuls to drive well in the technical stuff. We share a lot of track time with these cars at least here on the west coast. The one bit of knowledge I would pass on is that our car are a ton more agile in the corners so just be mindful of that disparity. My hat's off to the FFR field they are doing a heck of a job with a car with lots of personality.

Mike

Having come from an FFR this past season, and with one weekend under my belt in a CMC2 Mustang, I would absolutely agree that the FFRs are much less forgiving. I would not agree that they are less agile in the corners though. Surprisingly, for a much heavier car, the braking is better on the Mustang and much more stable.

In the FFR I was 2 to 3 seconds faster than the fastest CMC & CMC2 guys at the last Summit Point Race. First time driving the Mustang, and at the same track, I was 2 seconds slower than those same guys. I was surprised at how much I had to adapt my driving style, as I expected the cars to be similar excluding the weight difference.

I can't wait to get some more time in the Mustang. Look out guys!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rustang72

• bluebandit48

• Glenn

• mitchntx1548534714

How is this for good timing?

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=2596

I have no idea who the original author is.

FWIW, I did have a Toyo Tire engineer at Miller in June when all of the 944s were required to switch. If we have a good turnout for CMC cars at Hallett (which we will ), I will request to have a Toyo engineer there to help with setup questions.

I hope that's accurate about the need for less neg camber. At one of our tracks some of us require 5.5 - 6.0 neg on the left just to get the tire to wear properly and get the best grip. Using that much negative camber causes other problems, but at least we can adjust it back out with the shocks and toe, but I would still rather run less camber to begin with.

If you hear anything about operating in cold temps, please let me know. I see that some mentioned that the RA1's were like that, but I don't recall seeing a big warning sticker on any of my tires over the last 5 years.

Kent

• 3 months later...

I hate to reopen this can of worms but my jaw just about fell off when I found out a shaved set of r888 were $980.00 is there really nothing cheeper that will work just about the same... As a first year driver for this class, that tire price alone is making concider selling my car back and buying a bike. For that price and $350.00 to register.. I must be nuts?! Am I the only one that feels like we are getting "f...ed" on tires?

The beginning of the year is always rough but you should be able to get 10 to 12 days out of a set of Toyo's which is a season for me. The Midwest/Great Lakes races will have 5 cars so Toyo bucks will be available. Just because you're a noob doesn't mean you won't be in the money. The rules of this class keeps the competition very close and you should do just fine.

See you at Putnum,

Sidney

You don't need to have them shaved, and they cost $210 each everywhere.

They should last the season, but they are too new to know that for sure quite yet.

Here's some data on the 888's

I am sure that my results are contrary to many others, but it is what it is.

At our first event in February I did close to 400 track miles on a brand new set of unshaved 275 888's. They stuck like glue. Opposite of many reports about running higher air pressure than the RA1's, I was coming off the track hot at about 37 lbs. After showing the tires to many tire sources, they were wearing perfectly.

We race again in two weeks at VIR and I will probably do 20+ track sessions on Friday and 4-5 more on both Saturday and Sunday. Looking at current wear, I will easily get two more weekends out of them. (I only got 2.5 weekends out of the shaved RA'1 last year when I was doing the same amount of track sessions.)

I think it's important to note that I used the 255 RA1 last year and I had the HP to really push them. For the first event of this year I used my back up CMC engine while running in CMC2 with the 275 tires. I found that I couldn't break the 888's loose in all of the areas that I did with the 255 RA1. I think I got good wear because I wasn't sliding them all over the place.

As far as lap times go, I was running a 210 hp/280tq engine with 200,000 miles on it and I still beat the lap time I set last February using the other CMC engine that was 231/302.

In two weeks I will have my CMC2 engine in the car so I expect to have totally different results. I will let ya know what they look like after the weekend.

IMO------This is a great tire even though they are just over $200 each.

(There again, what does it matter that they are $200 each when you get free tires all the time.)

Kent