2009 Rules are posted

Al F.

• Members

The eagerly awaited rules are posted, along with a new dyno spec sheet, and a one page summary of everything that you need to know.

I have to say thanks to everyone that's been involved in this unfortunately long editing season: you the drivers for your input, the CMC officials, as well as John and Ryan from National. It was truly a collaborative effort.

A special note for CMC2...we expected 2009 to be a transition year, and still do. We've dropped weights as well as power relative to 2008. We've also enabled 5.0 Fords and the 3rd gen gms into the mix. Obviously there are a LOT of unknowns out there. So we will be monitoring results and lap times and make adjustments to weights, power, etc. as necessary to ensure platform parity.

Cheers guys!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KiMifan

• Rustang72

• Glenn

• Al F.

Cool, going to review the changes now for CMC. I'm not changing to CMC2 just yet...

It's about time you guys got off your arses and got these published

7.2.3 The vehicle must exhibit its assigned car number on both sides, front and rear of the car. The side numbers must be at least ten (16) inches tall and be of a contrasting color. The front and rear numbers must be at least four (4) inches tall. Class identification must be at least five (5) inches tall and be located in close proximity to the number on each side of the car .
Typo.

Early Ford through 1998

5.0 and 2V 4.6

Table # 1

Table # 2

Early Ford 1999-2004

5.0 and 2V 4.6

Table # 1

Table # 2

Should that be <1993 and 1994-2004? Other than the weights, <2004 seem to all have the same rules.
7.5.2 A front air dam may be used provided it meets the following requirements:

2. Air dams must only extend downward from the original bumper cover, with no horizontal sections, and may not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from above.

Is that no splitter in front of the air dam or no support behind?

Can someone clarify if the caliper price limit in CMC-2 is per caliper or for the pair? It says "caliper" but I just want to be sure that means the 2000 Cobra R calipers are legal. The street price for the kit is about $1000, which includes rotors and pads. I've never seen the calipers listed for sale separately. Ford Racing only sells the complete kit.

Also, any reason why the track width and fender flaring rule for the Fox body in CMC-2 doesn't apply to CMC-1 also?

price on the caliper is per caliper. not sure how that works when dealing w/ a kit. we will need to clear that up.

the fender issue w/ the Fox for CMC vs CMC-2 is easy. your not trying to put a 17x9.5 wheel and 275/40/17 on a Fox in CMC.

7.2.3 The vehicle must exhibit its assigned car number on both sides, front and rear of the car. The side numbers must be at least ten (16) inches tall and be of a contrasting color. The front and rear numbers must be at least four (4) inches tall. Class identification must be at least five (5) inches tall and be located in close proximity to the number on each side of the car .
Typo.

Early Ford through 1998

5.0 and 2V 4.6

Table # 1

Table # 2

Early Ford 1999-2004

5.0 and 2V 4.6

Table # 1

Table # 2

Should that be <1993 and 1994-2004? Other than the weights, <2004 seem to all have the same rules.
7.5.2 A front air dam may be used provided it meets the following requirements:

2. Air dams must only extend downward from the original bumper cover, with no horizontal sections, and may not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from above.

Is that no splitter in front of the air dam or no support behind?

No horizontal ie splitter aka 2000 Cobra R.

No on the pre 93 and 94+. I've brought this point up several times. Simple answer, Ford never changed the designation of the 99+ so it is considered an SN95. SN95 in 94 and 95 came with a 5.0 so you can legally run a 5.0 in any Mustang up to 04. (if that is what your asking about.)

Edited by Guest

NASCAR style door bars and removal of the inner "skin" needs correction/clarification.

08 Rules rules highlight change reads

6.12. Door Safety Bars

In addition to meeting all of the CCR specifications the roll cage in a CMC car must meet the following additional specifications. At a minimum at least two door safety bars must be used on the drivers side, and one door safety bar on the passenger side. Removed: The door window glass, window operating mechanism, armrest, map pockets, door panel, and inside door latch may be removed from both doors. The outside door latch mechanism may not be removed or modified. The trimming or removal of the inner door panel (metal) structure and/or the removal of the OEM side impact beam is only allowed on the driver’s side if the roll cage incorporates at least two National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) style door safety bars, which must extend to the outer door skin, and on the passenger’s side if the roll cage incorporates at least two door safety bars.

This leds you to believe you can remove the inner skin as long as you have two bars. With the removed part removed, you could be led to believe that you can also remove the side impact bar.

09 Rules say

4.12 Door Safety Bars

In addition to meeting all of the CCR specifications the roll cage in a CMC car must meet the following additional specifications. At a minimum at least two door safety bars must be used on the drivers side, and one door safety bar on the passenger side. The door window glass, window operating mechanism, armrest, map pockets, door panel, and inside door latch may be removed from both doors. The outside door latch mechanism may not be removed or modified. The trimming or removal of the inner door panel (metal) structure and/or the removal of the OEM side impact beam is only allowed on the driver’s side if the roll cage incorporates at least two National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) style door safety bars, which must extend to the outer door skin, and on the passenger’s side if the roll cage incorporates at least two door safety bars.

Sometime in 08 we allowed the removal of the door skin without the requirement for NASCAR door style bars as long as you had two bars which matched the NASA CCR update last year.

Now the rule reads the same as last year before the change.

What is the new rule?

If it is written to match the updated NASA CCR rule last year, then it should match but it doesn't match that either.

Similar question regarding transmissions. The 08 rules allowed Tremec 3550 transmissions and Tremec TKO transmissions. Now in 09 it only allows the 3550.

Yeah, i hope that was an oversight on the transmissions.

looks like they modified an older rule set and forgot to add

and Tremec TKO series transmissions are also allowed.

I know myself and another guy here in the midwest have TKO's.

Especially since Tremec doesn't even sell the part number they reference anymore.

• Members

Wow, holy oversights batman! Yes, the TKO and the door bar deal are oversights...bad editing on the whole copy paste exercise and since these werent rules we were worrying about they just slipped by. I've posted a 2009V2 to correct these, the number size typo, and clarified table 1 a bit (pre 94 mustangs are only running 5.0s while 94+ can run a 5.0 or a 4.6)

Sorry about that!!!

Yes, price is per caliper

A special note for CMC2...we expected 2009 to be a transition year, and still do. We've dropped weights as well as power relative to 2008.

Very nice

I need some clarification on the following for a Fox in CMC2:

8.3 Fender/Quarter panels:

Are fender flares (like the ones from Tiger Racing, not the entire fender, but just the flare) legal now in CMC2 on the Fox body, or do we have to modify the stock fender/quarter panel?

EDIT: One more question:

Does the 18 lb minimum wheel weight in section 8.6 include lug nuts?

I assume this is intended to keep wheel cost down, however there is a cheap ($260) 17x9.5" wheel available for the Mustang that weights 16.5 lbs and with lug nuts and wheel weights should be very close to the 18 minimum.

Edited by Guest

1. A vertical line from every point on the wing and end plates must intersect the vehicle body/bumper when the vehicle is on a level surface.

2. The maximum length of any line as measured in point 1 above may not be more than 12 inches.

3. The overall depth (leading edge to trailing edge) including end plates may not be more than 12 inches.

I think the intent here is that no wing in CMC2 may be more than 12" above the rear deck, but that's not what the rule says.

Not having the car in front of me, I'll just ballpark numbers for my example. Let's say my 96 Mustang has an OEM style wing (which it does) that hangs over the rear bumper at it's furthest rearward point. The wing is 4" high measured from the mounting points on the decklid. However, since it overhangs the bumper and the bumper is 9" below the surface of the decklid, I'm now illegal in CMC2with a wing that would pass muster under the CMC rules below.

7.5.4 Only spoilers or wings that were OEM equipment on an eligible model may be used other than the following exceptions:

1. Early Ford (pre-2005) cars may use Roush, Saleen, or Steeda wings that were available on factory models through the dealer.

2. Early GM (pre-1993) Pontiacs may use Mecham Trans Am wings that were available on factory models through the dealer

3. Any car may add a spoiler of any design/origin to the OEM trunk/rear lid/eligible model wing as long as a vertical line from every point on the added spoiler intersects the body/bumper below it and the maximum height of the added spoiler, measured vertically from any attachment point, is no more than 6 inches.

Here's what Travis is talking about. Take a look at the Griggs spoiler in the link below:

http://www.griggsracing.com/index.php?cPath=60_1405

The spoiler itself probably meets the rule; it looks like it is less than 6 inches high, which I think is the intent. But if you drop a vertical line with plumb bob from the rear edge to the bumper below, it's way more than 6 inches from that surface.

Suggestion for the rear wing rule...

Base the height off the car from the base of the rear window. It's a simple point to find (easy to measure), is usually about the highest point on the trunk/decklid (easy to enforce), and most of our cars have a relatively similar trunk/decklid angle (fair).

• Members

Guys dont confuse CMC1 with CMC2 wing/spoiler rules or versa vici. They are different. Spoilers and wings are also different. Wings allow air flow both over and under the device. Spoilers only allow air flow over the device.

For CMC1, OEM wings are allowed as installed by the OEM regardless of dimensions, overhang, etc. Spoilers are allowed to be added, and the height measurement is from where the spoiler attaches to either the OEM trun/rear hatch/OEM wing.

For CMC2, CMC1 rules apply. Any wing/spoiler that is legal in CMC1 is legal in CMC2. In addition, CMC2 cars may add a custom wing that meets the CMC2 criteria. The CMC2 rules are written to keep you from going too far. If the front of the wing is 12" off the trunk but the rear of the wing overhangs to the rear bumper...move the wing forward!

I might be confused, but the way I'm reading the rule, that Griggs spoiler would be legal in CMC-1 but not legal in CMC-2 because it overhangs the rear edge of the deck lid and therefore the vertical dropped from the top edge down to the top of the bumper is longer than 12 inches (I'm assuming because it certainly looks that way in the photo). It seems like almost any spoiler that attaches in a similar fashion would violate the 12-inch rule.

Or are you saying the wing measurement rule in CMC-2 does not apply to a spoiler?

What they are saying is: Any spoiler or wing that is legal in CMC1 is therefore legal in CMC2.

CMC2 aftermarket/custom/badass wings are the ones that have to fit within the outline of the rear deck. The ones seen at Nationals on the 3rd gen Firebirds would have to be made narrower and moved forward.

Got it now?

Sidney

For CMC2, CMC1 rules apply. Any wing/spoiler that is legal in CMC1 is legal in CMC2. In addition, CMC2 cars may add a custom wing that meets the CMC2 criteria. The CMC2 rules are written to keep you from going too far. If the front of the wing is 12" off the trunk but the rear of the wing overhangs to the rear bumper...move the wing forward!

Again, we're talking a factory "wing" here. It does meet the CMC1 requirements, but the back of it overhangs the bumper by a smidge. The way the CMC2 rule is written, it is not legal.

My suggestion would be to use the same wording about measuring up from the mounts as is in the CMC1 rule since we already have the rule saying that it can't fall outside the outline of the body when viewed from above (paraphrased of course).

The link below to a pic on the American Muscle site is the same type wing I have. It's hard to see from this picture, but the very center of the rear of the wing barely overhangs the bumper, which makes it illegal under the rules as written. I'm confident that this was not the intent of the rule.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/mustangtuning_2031_306830187

I might be confused, but the way I'm reading the rule, that Griggs spoiler would be legal in CMC-1 but not legal in CMC-2 because it overhangs the rear edge of the deck lid and therefore the vertical dropped from the top edge down to the top of the bumper is longer than 12 inches (I'm assuming because it certainly looks that way in the photo).

What you "see" in the photo is somewhat deceiving. I have the Griggs spoiler. It does not overhang the rear edge of the deck lid. It meets the requirements of 7.5.4.3, and is CMC1 legal.

Hope that helps.

-chris

Travis! You're missing the point. If a wing is legal in CMC1 then it is legal in CMC2. Done. Stop. Read no further.

Sidney

With all due respect, I have not missed the point. I understand what everyone is "saying", I just don't agree that the rules (as written) "say" the same thing.

Doesn't really matter to me, as I just run the stock wing for looks, but it might be a real pisser if some poor guy shows up at Nats and is DQ'd because of the loose wording.

Perhaps the wording that's really the issue is:

8.1 CMC2 Class Specific Modifications

In addition to section 7 above, the following rules apply to CMC2 class cars.

The Combination of the words "in addition" and "rules" makes it sound like an above and beyond set of requirements, not additional allowed modifications.

Perhaps:

8.1 CMC2 Class Specific Modifications

In addition to section 7 above, the following additional modifications are allowed for CMC2 class cars.

Call me hypersensitive, but coming from a spec class I know how easy it is to get multiple interpretations from loose language.

I'm calling this horse dead. No more discussion necessary for my part.

Doesn't really matter to me, as I just run the stock wing for looks, but it might be a real pisser if some poor guy shows up at Nats and is DQ'd because of the loose wording.

Nah.... that's not how we roll.

in other series of road racing the wing height is not measured form the deck but measured from the roof, using a straight edge and a digital angle finder and the wing is measured from it's highest point, with or with out wicker and it's set at angle, this would be the best standard in my opinion based on how the mustang has a flat deck and sits higher than the camaro which is lower and angles toward , there for giving the mustang a potential advantage. that spec could simply by 1-2 inch below the th roof. now my opinion is not much but when i was crew chief for a pro race team in world challenge that's how it was done....