lots of new faces here as of late.

Glenn

Just reaching that point in my life where I can start doing more things like this. I am 53 years young

You and I have a lot in common ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Al F.

• Tri-Agan

• J.O.R

• mattr1548534738

I've been gone a while and just saw this thread.

I'm Todd Johnston from Columbus, Ohio. I have a normal 9-5 job and run another company out of my house.

I grew up in a GM family with many B-O-P vehicles. Went to Flat Out Friday at BeaveRun in PA and got bit by the bug. 2 years later, after much waffling and flip flopping, I decided on CMC. V8, RWD and relatively cheap. You can see my car in my sig. I'm pretty far behind in my build and hope to do some catching up in the next few months. My goal is to have my comp lic. by the end of this year, maybe even do a "fun run" at the end of the season. I'm looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can.

• 2 months later...

Hello, my name is Eric and I currenlty live in Jackson, MI. I have been following CMC for 6 years now and I finally bought an 87 Camaro to start my own CMC project. I started out drag racing an 84 Chevy Caprice in high school after I was beat in a street race by a friend in his mom's minivan After college I started going to a few SCCA autocross events in the Chicago region with my 82 Trans am. Late last season I volunteered at the NASA Autobahn event in Joliet, IL. I was able to get a ride around the track in a 4th gen Camaro and after getting over the shock of knowing what a mildly preped car can do out on the track, I was hooked. With the help of Bryan White, TJ Bain and Bob Denton I was able to find a great car to start out with and actually get it home too (I have no trailer). I look forward to meeting every one and having a great time at future events.

Hello, my name is Eric and I currenlty live in Jackson, MI. I have been following CMC for 6 years now and I finally bought an 87 Camaro to start my own CMC project. I started out drag racing an 84 Chevy Caprice in high school after I was beat in a street race by a friend in his mom's minivan After college I started going to a few SCCA autocross events in the Chicago region with my 82 Trans am. Late last season I volunteered at the NASA Autobahn event in Joliet, IL. I was able to get a ride around the track in a 4th gen Camaro and after getting over the shock of knowing what a mildly preped car can do out on the track, I was hooked. With the help of Bryan White, TJ Bain and Bob Denton I was able to find a great car to start out with and actually get it home too (I have no trailer). I look forward to meeting every one and having a great time at future events.

Welcome Eric! Yes, it is really amazing even what a rock stock f-bod can do in the hands of a good driver. You'll find the driver mod is the most important one!

Well, I'm Justin from Land O' Lakes, Florida [About 10-15 miles north of Tampa]. My brother and my dad are both going to be heavlily involved in this awesome series. My dad has the brains for the engineering, my brother has been a mechanic his whole life and I'm just the driver. =P I've done alot of Autocrossing in my dad's Formula 500 [Ex F440]. Most of the autocrosses i've done has been at Brooksville Int' Airport in Brooksville Fl. Along with the F440 I've autocrossed a 86',92',99' z06 and 03' z06 Corvettes [The guy that hosted the events always let me use em. Last year in one of the AutoX events, with the slowest vette I still managed almost a full 20 seconds over the next fastest car.

After realizing that it would cost so much to get the F440 legal for F500 competition, we decided we would sell it off, and start a entire new race car in an entirely new series.

We plan on running a single fbody in CMC in 2010, followed by a second fbody car in the AIX series starting in 2011. I'll be going for my HPDE license in the late summer, as soon as the first CMC car is completed.

We plan on running a single fbody in CMC in 2010, followed by a second fbody car in the AIX series starting in 2011. I'll be going for my HPDE license in the late summer, as soon as the first CMC car is completed.
It's good to see somebody else in Florida who wants to build a CMC car, as it seems like I'm the only one, based on NASA-FL turnout for the last year and a half. Or do you plan to run with NASA-SE? I'm just running in NASA-FL Time Trial right now until interest in CMC picks up down here, since I don't see the point in blowing a bunch more cash to build (and beat up) a CMC car if I'm the only one out there.

HPDE doesn't require a license or anything like that, but keep in mind that if you plan to start doing HPDEs in late summer 2009, it might take a year or so to work up to a competition license. Or do you just plan to run HPDE with the CMC car, and your brother/father are already licensed?

Mark

]It's good to see somebody else in Florida who wants to build a CMC car, as it seems like I'm the only one, based on NASA-FL turnout for the last year and a half. Or do you plan to run with NASA-SE? I'm just running in NASA-FL Time Trial right now until interest in CMC picks up down here, since I don't see the point in blowing a bunch more cash to build (and beat up) a CMC car if I'm the only one out there.

HPDE doesn't require a license or anything like that, but keep in mind that if you plan to start doing HPDEs in late summer 2009, it might take a year or so to work up to a competition license. Or do you just plan to run HPDE with the CMC car, and your brother/father are already licensed?

Mark

Mark, Where are you living in Florida? Check your email.

Nah, my dad/brother isn't licensed at all, nor will they do it. They're not drivers, they're more mechanics. I'm the full blown driver not a mechanic type. =P

Would anyone be intersted in running at Carolina motor sports park, road atlanta, sebring or daytona down here in the south? I talked to a couple buddys who would like to run CMC 2010 as well, but with VIR the southern most track...that would be a little hard.

Would anyone be intersted in running at Carolina motor sports park, road atlanta, sebring or daytona down here in the south? I talked to a couple buddys who would like to run CMC 2010 as well, but with VIR the southern most track...that would be a little hard.
I do not believe that NASA-FL (or maybe even NASA in general) has ever run at Daytona, nor is Daytona on the NASA-FL scheduling radar at this time, as their track rental rates are insanely expensive. That would have to be an SCCA or PBOC gig.

While there are no active CMC cars in NASA-FL, the class is certainly open for anybody who wants to run with us at Sebring, Homestead, or PBIR, even if you are the only one in the class (this will likely be me in 2010). My brother was the only car down here in FFC for quite a while, and after a year or so, a couple of other FFCs have joined the fun. At least there are cars in other classes that will be turning similar lap times, so you can still jockey for position for bragging rights.

Mark

I do not believe that NASA-FL (or maybe even NASA in general) has ever run at Daytona, nor is Daytona on the NASA-FL scheduling radar at this time, as their track rental rates are insanely expensive. That would have to be an SCCA or PBOC gig.

While there are no active CMC cars in NASA-FL, the class is certainly open for anybody who wants to run with us at Sebring, Homestead, or PBIR, even if you are the only one in the class (this will likely be me in 2010). My brother was the only car down here in FFC for quite a while, and after a year or so, a couple of other FFCs have joined the fun. At least there are cars in other classes that will be turning similar lap times, so you can still jockey for position for bragging rights.

Mark

Well thats really disapointing. I ran a couple of autox type deals at Daytona road course with the F5, even though top speed was only 140-145 it was a still a blast on the banking... but that exlains why the SCCA only holds 2 events a year there.

Turbo, I'll have to give you a call sometime. I have a few questions that are kinda long/hard to type out.

If you get a few SE/FL cars to go to Road Atlanta, you could probably convince some MA guys to join you. I know of at least one CMC-MA driver that is planning on doing some SE events this year.

Hey everyone.My name is Rocky.I just joined this site tonight.I joined NASA-MA year before last.Rode with a lot of people.Did my first HPDE at HYPERFEST,a couple of autox.You could say I am hooked.Did a lot of drag racing in the past.I hope to compete in CMC 1 in another year or 2.trying to find a car to get started with and to finish HPDE's and build to spec as I get better in the HPDE's.I have always loved Camaros and am glad to have found this site.

I live on the eastern side of Va,30 yrs old,Proud father of 8mo old son.I can not wait to get him involved if he wants too.

Hey everyone.My name is Rocky.I just joined this site tonight.I joined NASA-MA year before last.Rode with a lot of people.Did my first HPDE at HYPERFEST,a couple of autox.You could say I am hooked.Did a lot of drag racing in the past.I hope to compete in CMC 1 in another year or 2.trying to find a car to get started with and to finish HPDE's and build to spec as I get better in the HPDE's.I have always loved Camaros and am glad to have found this site.

I live on the eastern side of Va,30 yrs old,Proud father of 8mo old son.I can not wait to get him involved if he wants too.

Rocky,

I sent you a private message. If you are coming to the NASA event VIR next week, please stop by and find me. Just ask any official where the CMC paddock is and they will point you in the right direction. (If it's late at night, just follow the noise of the loud party and you will find us with no problem.)

Kent

If it's late at night, just follow the noise of the loud party...

...or the sound of farm animals in distress.

Yet another Ohioan building a 3rd gen here, got a head start by locating an old SCCA A sedan and have been helped out a lot by Bob Denton, Sidney Franklin and Bryan White, thanks guys.

I have some background in motorsports but it has been a while so I wiull e starting out in HPDE also with a view to doing a full season in 2010.

Steve

Hey Rocky.. Watch out for Kent.. He is nothing but trouble.. He may want want to drag you to the dark side (FORD). Stay strong.. It will not be long before Chevrolet is winning.. As long it stays on the damn track... "There was oil on the track.. There was oil on the track.. There was oil on the track..." Call me on the car...

hello,

my name is jesse, i live in greenville s.c., putting me roughly in the center, on NASA-SE territory.

I am an emergency medicine physician, and father of 3, husband to 1, when not on track.

i eeked out 13 days on track from june through october of last year, and am an HPDE 3 currently.

these were all done in my '08 black mustang bullitt, (stock except for brake :ducts, lines, pads, and fluid)

IMG_3061.jpg

an e.r. physician partner/buddy and i have just bought a used CMC car (CMC#18 ), from a seller in NASA-MA. we also just got a nice trailer, and a poker buddy has some warehouse space where we are keeping it, and able to work on it.

when/if he registers here, he will be double tap 2.

he has a green 08 bullitt, and is currently an HPDE1, but will soon be bumped to two.

because of the two bullitts, we are dubbing ourselves "double tap racing".

i hope to be racing the white car in cmc1 by this fall, or certainly at the outset of 2010.

kevin, i think, has more of a mind towards time-trialing.

for now we are sharing it through DE's, and then into the unknown.

eventually we see ourselves building up a pair of s-197's, in the next 1-2 years, to suit our own interests. but the sharing seems to be going fine, and has certainly warranted less heat from the wives.

we just brought her to Road Atlanta about two weeks ago, for a cold wet weekend. (the Hoosier dirt stockers we had for rain tires, worked great)

--it was kevins first time to RA, and 1st time in the car (2nd time on track at all).

--it was my 2nd time in the car, and 1st time at RA. (i backed myself down to DE2, for that reason, for the weekend).

overall, a great weekend, amazing course, and super experience.

IMG_8505x.jpg

just wanted to say hi, and look forward to meeting you folks at upcoming events. we will also be hitting nasa MA at vir some, and maybe at summit point some time in the distant future.

i am very glad to have such a budget-minded series, into which i can jump, i hope CMC has a long strong future.

aces,

jesse

Since I only ran one weekend last year: my name's Erik, and my wife and I race in Rocky Mountain. Found out about NASA and did 4 weekends of HPDE before my wife did her first race. She grew up around big fast V8s, so CMC was the natural place for us to end up (she said the 944s just sounded too awful to race ). Bought a used "teched" car('87 GTA) to do our race schools, and a couple races, and have spent the entire winter stripping it down and rebuilding it so it actually RUNS (and STARTS). Pheh. We're looking forward to getting it on track and whoopin' on the Ford boys.

If some of these guys would go into turbo mode on their builds we'd have 15 easy.

hey hey brutha, money's bad enough, not having enough time is worse. we're talking complete rebuild on ours!! That cage was a horrible accident waiting to happen.

We're just about to complete a S197 build for CMC2. It's been quite a journey breaking new ground. There's a lot of lessons to be learned; for us it was the hard way.

Our first race will be Thunderhill in late April, though it will be primarily a test session as we have no clue yet on suspension settings, etc. Stay tuned.

Jesse,

Do you plan on coming to VIR this weekend?

Kent

not this weekend,

but i will be there the weekend of july 25th, for 3 days.

j

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally decided to officially join this forum though our CMC build is still a bit off...looking at mid-2010 probably.

In the meantime, I am giving some serious thought about config'ing the S197 for the deuce later this year. Kinda hate to do it but depending on car count in my new adopted region we'll see....no I-told-ya-so from you Glenn