Hallett - June

nasa-rm

D*mmit, I thought I was 2 years away after all "you people" told me not to gut the 2007 Mustang.

But I did my first Time Trial at TWS last month and I'm hooked. I wanna play NOW!

OHHHMMM, I'm not listening, I don't hear you!

-Wayne

-2007 Mustang GT NASA TTC

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• nasa-rm

• mitchntx1548534714

• Sidney

NASA Rocky Mtn will be on track this weekend, May 15-17, and we should get a pretty good idea who will be going to Hallett.

-chris

I think we should rename this event the "AI/CMC Summer Nationals".

We could go with June Sprints, but that one's taken.

How about "The PBR June AI/CMC Shootout"?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok kids. Time to do it or get off the pot.

CMC isn't looking too bad but where are all the AI drivers?

We were boasting 40+ cars. Looking at about 1/2 of that right now.

• Members

As of last night we have 31 cars signed up: 7 AI and 24 CMC/CMC2. This is indeed the biggest weekend outside of (pontentially) the nationals. SO...

Mini-Nationals?

Summer Shootout?

V8 Center of the World Championship?

lol

• 2 weeks later...

What an amazing event!!!

Turnout was slightly lower than expected with a few last minute drop-outs but we still had 31 cars in total.

CMC - 15 cars

CMC2 - 8 cars

AI - 8 cars

Huge thanks to Bob, Sidney, and Bryan for making the trip down from Illinois, it was great meeting and racing with y'all.

The Colorado gang was crazy as always!! The Saturday night BBQ was incredible, I think there was 80 lbs. of meat including steak, pork, sausage, chicken, brisket, etc. Someone said there was also salad but I didn't believe it. The PBR was flowin, coctails were being made, and Boudy brought the margarita machine!!

Sunday morning came pretty early but it was great getting out there for day 2.

There was some insane racing throughout the field the entire weekend. I'm sure some videos will be popping up soon.

• Members

Great summary Michael. Results are also up on mylaps. Lets not forget showing previous racing highlight videos on the projector while 80 some-odd people cheered.

The Summer Shootout is a tremendous venue. With the NASA high rollers in attendance I think the plan is set to promote and market this race weekend so other groups can enjoy the experience the AI/CMC family has been for the last couple of years.

Some more media...

http://picasaweb.google.com/TexasCMC3/TxShootout2009Hallett?feat=directlink

I never had a chance to ask JWL ... had he ever been to Hallett before?

And if we could dump the 888 and run the RA1 next year?

JJ

JJ

that was asked.

JJ

that was asked.

I will call you tomorrow.

JJ

i will not answer that question. not because i know something i shouldnt, but because i do not want to add to any rumors going around. JWL did tell me there is a big meeting w/ NASA and Toyo this week. Contract negotiations that were originally schduled for much later in the year were moved up to this week. should be more info out by Sept. my understanding is NASA is being agressivly approched by other tire manufactures interested in tire sponsorship.

i will tell you this. i think JLW is as disapointed w/ the R888 as any of us are when compaired to the RA1. i would like the R888 in the RA1 compounds.

It's one thing to be pissed off about switching from RA1's to R888's but switching to another manufacturer after only one year on a new tire is going to push drivers to another series or at the least another class. The only way this can work for 2010 is to stick with the Toyo R888.

Sidney Franklin

CMC #64

It's one thing to be pissed off about switching from RA1's to R888's but switching to another manufacturer after only one year on a new tire is going to push drivers to another series or at the least another class. The only way this can work for 2010 is to stick with the Toyo R888.

Sidney Franklin

CMC #64

Sidney...it was nice meeting you and fun on track with you guys.

I agree this tire fiasco could get really ugly. If you are sitting with Toyo bucks...what do you buy? I guess and buy wrong I will be really pissed.

A decision needs to be made quickly to allow for planning next year now.

Sidney Franklin

CMC #64

I think I will have to agree with Sidney.

If NASA/Toyo chose to remain with the RA1, the perception is that there is no one in charge ... of marketing, development, QA/QC ...

Whether it's true or not, perception is reality.

The other side of the coin is if a racer sees his tire budget doubling on a tire that produces worse results, then yes, he will spend his racing dollars elsewhere.

From where I sit, this is a no win situation.

FWIW, I've run the R888 at 2 events - Cal Speedway and Buttonwillow. Same set of tires (started the season with only one set, full tread), and all I've done was rotate them front to back.

Ummm.....I don't see any more wear on the trip-8's then I did on the RA1's. So far, they are in great shape, with lot's of life left.

Additionally, with no real changes to my car from last year (seriously...I changed camber and tire pressures, that's all), I was about the same (in the race) or faster (in qual) at the same track, same configuration, same time of year, same weather:

April 2008 - RA1's (shaved, very used)

Sat Q - 2:09.593

Sat R - 2:10.415

Sun QR - 2:07.295

Sun R - 2:07.718

April 2009 - R888's (used one event, full tread at the start of the season)

Sat Q - 2:05.745

Sat R - 2:07.702

Sun Q - 2:05.772 (pretty flip'n consistent from the day before!)

Sun R - 2:07.383 (on last lap!)

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the doomsday scenario using the R888's.

It is what it is.

I'm not trying to say it's "case closed, problem solved" for anyone other than myself, if that. Based on my own personal experience, I don't see my tire budget doubling due to lack of tire life.

In all seriousness, maybe I've been lucky, but so far, I haven't experienced the "drama" others have associated with the 888. In reading various recommendations, I made some changes to the alignment, and have played with tire pressures. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing the lackluster performance mentioned by others.

There's enough information out there about having to change your setup - if that wasn't done, don't blame the tire.

I'll agree with Sidney that if NASA moves to a different manufacturer for 2010, that will be enough to push people away. The flip-flop this year was not healthy.

However, I don't agree it's a no-win situation any way it's approached. If NASA stays the course with Toyo, IMO, they need to stay on the R888, and simply move forward. Those who were planning to race this year likely bought 8's, and have at least one set, so there's no real downside to staying with them (other than the aforementioned lack of performance mentioned by others).