Is the LT-1 F-body competitive in AI?

ledfoot2

I am looking for a competivie AI car and have run across several Firebirds with LS-1's and LT-1's for pretty good deals. I know that most people run Mustangs in AI, but is their really any reason for this, or is it just how the class has evolved?

I think a well-prepped T2 F-body would be an excellent starting point for someone who wanted to run a GM in AI. They definitely have the power, and with some weight removed and the larger wheels and brakes allowed in AI, should be very competitive.

I think a camaro will take less work to make fast, but you can't get things like aftermarket k-members and such that are any good for these things. The support is much less than with the fords. If you can opt for the LS-1. Great motor. Stock with exhaust it can make AI power and probably more.

-V

Get the LS1 platform as your starting point. ...and there are more 4th gen parts out there than people realize... There just aren't "Griggs" and "Maximum Motorsports" packages available as there are with the Mustangs.

Lou's site doesn't have much online though I know that he's had suspension components available in the past. Here are some alternatives:

http://www.umiperformance.com/fbody.aspx

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/

http://www.spohn.net/

Obviously, there are resources like Summit and Jegs but you need to know what you are looking for first since there are so many choices.

Thanks everyone! I have a C5 that I am leaning towards building up. I would like to run in AI for the competition, but I am not sure I can swing the upkeep on two race cars.

Most f-body stuff is not on Lou's website after they re did it a few months ago.

You would have to call them to get the parts.

Front upper and lower adjustable control arms, rear LCAs, rear LCA relocation brackets, panhard rod, and torque arm are available. Also a coil-over kit.

If you are going to build an F-body go here --> http://www.frrax.com/ and do some reading first.

You can also contact Jason at Unbalanced Engineering for advice and certain parts. Global West and Ground Control make some parts. Sam Strano has some stuff too.

There is no aftermarket roadrace-worthy K-member on the market.

I was the black Camaro parked next to you at TWS, feel free to PM me with questions.

A lot of people have been asking if the Camaro I am selling would be viable and competitive for AI, can anyone with knowledge of the Ai series lend any insight? The car was run in the 2002 and 2003 Grand Am Cup series. VIR laptimes are a 2:07 in 2003 on Hoosier spec tires. Is this a competitive lap time for the class?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

http://www.tkartsusa.com/camaro.html

Trevor

03gacwgigsj1-59.jpg

Trevor-

Nice to see you. You might remember me - I remember running against the car, but I only vaguely remember you. My name is Scott Whitehead. I'm the crew chief for Rehagen Racing (Grand-Am Cup GS class - we've grown a lot since 2003!).

Anyway, I'm not sure of the exact details of your car, but I think it would be an excellent AI car. Most GAC cars are pretty much AI legal in most ways. Your power number is probably a bit high, but then again, so is your weight compared to AI cars, so I can't comment on that.

You'd have to consider the track width (I assume it would be okay though) and rim width (how wide are those CCWs?) as well. And of course, the tires are not AI legal.

It looks like you're running a wet sump. The later Baughman Pontiacs at some point were allowed to run dry sump - that would not be legal in AI.

Of course ALL the things I mention are illegal in AI are legal in AIX - so a buyer could take it out as-is and run it, and fix any legality issues as time went on.

It'd be great to see more GAC cars age into competitive AI cars. Good luck selling it!!!

Scott,

Thanks for the helpful info. I do remember you and your team cas certainly grown. I miss running the car in GAC.

The car still has an LT1, and the LS1 guys were allowed to dry-sump, we weren't.

The wheels are 17x10.

I see you guys are selling a few cars, good luck on that as well. Do you run anything in GT or just GAC Cup?

Doing the Rolex?

Trevor

Trevor-

Drop me a line privately and we can talk about our team. I don't want to discuss future team plans on this public forum. (swhiteh3.at.ford.dot.com)

The one thing I can tell you is that we have already sold one of our cars, the silver #58 (which was the old black #52 that Larry used to run solo back in the day), and it will be running in AI or AIX in the near future.

The wheels will need to be narrowed to use on an AI legal car. But I'll bet John down at CCW can just supply a half-inch-narrower inner wheel half.

Overall, I think GAC cars make good AI cars. I hope you find a dedicated buyer. For that matter, why not come out and race it again in AI?!?!? Nowhere near the pressure of GAC - that's for sure. No pit crew, no fuel rig, no pit cart... just good clean racing (with no ST cars!).

Scott Whitehead

Nowhere near the pressure of GAC - that's for sure. No pit crew...

Scott, you'd race AI without a pit crew?

Okay, I walked right into that.....

Seriously, there is a big difference between an 8-person crew for GAC and one crew member for an AI race. Heck, I don't even have a Renegade hauler!!!