NASA ANNOUNCES: Extension for using Toyo RA1 as spec tire 09

Dave Schotz

Ok,

Lets talk some sense here, and I can try to tell you a little about what I know.

The R888 has apparently had some poor feedback sent back to NASA from several race groups on how long they last (about half of the RA1).

NASA has stepped in to protect you grassroots folks by standing up and saying lets have the RA1 come back into play for this year as several people still have new or used ones sitting around and since they last longer that is more $$ in your pocket.

NASA did not plan on this happeneing, but they are being pro-active on trying to solve it.

So far no one has proven which tire is faster, which is good and makes them close to even on lap times.

Look, no one likes it, but we have to deal with it and that is what we and NASA are doing right now.

For 2010 its impossible to tell you what will happen, but I can assure you its being handled right now as we speak.

Let corporate deal with these things, and as racers we follow the path that's laid out for us.

I was personally caught off guard on this, but I like the way NASA has jumped in to help out on this tough situation.

That is what I know.

Thank You,

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitchntx1548534714

• ls168camaro

• Dave Schotz

• nasa-rm

TG-when you talk to corporate please try to find out if it is possible that could can the 888's for next year and go back to the RA1's for the future?

I understand you don't have any control over this and have to tote the company line.

But remind them that if they are truly looking out for the racers and our money then they should give us some guidance on next year so that we don't waste money testing a new tire if we won't be on it next year.

This is the reason why I don't work in the corporate world.

Bryan,

They are working on exactly what you asked here, and believe me they are working thier asses off right now.

Oh..and I work for myself..I'm self employed and have been for 27 years...

Thanks TG. It would be nice to hear their plans for the future. Of course after this debacle it will be tough to believe them when they make the ruling.

"I'm with the govt. and here to help"

so what is the correct answer for out TWS event in 2 weeks?

RA1's or R888's?

Neither ... it's the BFG All-Terrain

2319805020_f8fa4b81a3.jpg

Pimpin'

so what is the correct answer for out TWS event in 2 weeks?

RA1's or R888's?

Neither ... it's the BFG All-Terrain

2319805020_f8fa4b81a3.jpg

Pimpin'

I see Dave Francis is ready - put some diesel in it!!!!

So wasn't there some big conference call with NASA, TOYO, Reg Directors, etc?

What was the outcome, what tire are we running next year, is there a chance they change it again this season?

If they claim they are doing this for the racers and helping our wallet then they need to make up their mind for next year. They tell us to spend money on shocks, springs, alignments, tires, etc. for the 888's but who know if all that money will be wasted for next year?

I have to admit, I expected a lot more pictures of cats in this thread.

You expect cats, I expect straight answers. Guess that's the difference between management and the rest of us.

Soooooo...can there be a final answer posted by someone in a position of authority.

I have to admit, I expected a lot more pictures of cats in this thread.

You expect cats, I expect straight answers. Guess that's the difference between management and the rest of us.

Soooooo...can there be a final answer posted by someone in a position of authority.

I have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses...I predict they will be round and black. Next year? Some of us are only through 25% of the 2009 season. Who is really planning for 2010?

After next weekend we are 50% through our season. And if we are going to be on a new tire next year I am planning on next season.

I just hope it's the same tire between races on Saturday ...

I just figured out the perfect solution that will make everyone happy. RA1's on the left side and R888's on the right side. Oh, such a simple solution to a complex problem. I will be waiting for President to call for advice to get this banking mess straightened out.

Rob,

Not sure if I meet your criteria of "someone in a position of authority", however from the discussions we've had, it looks like we'll have both the RA1 and 888 for the remainder of the season, including Nationals. As much as we'd like to mandate a single tire and move on, at this point, I'm not seeing it for AI or CMC.

As to next year....ehhhh...who knows. Those decisions are not done here and are largely based on Toyo's supply. I imagine Toyo's supply will depend on the 2009 demand. Ask again in 4Q09, and I think folks will have a better idea.

-=- Todd

As to next year....ehhhh...who knows. Those decisions are not done here and are largely based on Toyo's supply. I imagine Toyo's supply will depend on the 2009 demand. Ask again in 4Q09, and I think folks will have a better idea.

-=- Todd

Todd-so it sounds like the real reason for allowing the RA1 is Toyo's current inventroy of RA1's. Next year depends on how many they sell this year. This just gets better and better.

Rob,

Not sure if I meet your criteria of "someone in a position of authority", however from the discussions we've had, it looks like we'll have both the RA1 and 888 for the remainder of the season, including Nationals. As much as we'd like to mandate a single tire and move on, at this point, I'm not seeing it for AI or CMC.

I keep trying to answer as "someone in a position of authority", but anything I write on a forum gets taken out of context or people start reading between the lines.

Anybody want the inside scoop from a Regional Director and a CMC racer? Call me. Those who have are all completely silent on the boards now

No Bryan...I didn't say that.

I have no "insider Toyo info" nor any inventory data.

My read on it is that if the customer wants RA1's and that's a big seller in 2009, then they'll likely make RA1's available.

If the customer wants 888's and that's a big seller in 2009, then they'll likely make 888's available.

It's basically a supply & demand thing....with demand being the determining factor.

This is strictly "reading the tea leaves" based on the info we have.

every time i try to answer, the answer changes, and i'm not kept in the loop on the change.

good luck staying on top of this one guys.

Has Toyo COMPLETELY stopped producing the RA1??

If not, then I believe the RA1 will be the tire for next year. We are nearly 50% through our season in TX and guys are buying new sets of RA1s. which means they will have extra tires at the end of the season and this will start all over again if they try to mandate the 888s without a major overhaul. How many cars will be running 888s at Nationals?? Any bets?? Unless Toyo stops selling RA1s or NASA disapproves them, guys will always have extra tires to use up.

The decision to run both for the rest of this year is just the reverse of what was done for the first 2 events. Use up your RA1s and buy 888s, oh...the 888s dont work, take the rest of this season to use up your 888s and switch to RA1s.