nasa-rm

NASA National Championships

Glenn
Could/would you guys share what gear ratios you were running? If not I understand...just trying to gain some more knowledge. Our team was running a 308. I'm trying to figure out how the lower hp/tq CMC cars that were a few car lengths behind me were pulling and passing me on the standing starts. Our dyno numbers at 5900 feet three weeks ago were 247/291.

Dave

wow, 3.08's????? most guys run 3.42's-3:73's (GM) and 3.55's to 3.73's (Ford).

Dave Schotz

My Car had 3.42 Gears in it.

I think a Mustang would have liked a 3.55 as a minimum. (IMO).

Hope this helps,

Dave

BADVENM

We had a 3:73 in the car (I think) but before PPIR a few weeks ago found that the spider gears were broken. My teammate Scott had a 3:08 laying around so thats what we ended up using as a quick fix. My trac-lock is also needing fixing.

I ran 4th gear to 5000 rpm (around 124 mph on the dyno) at Miller with only a fairly short distance that required shifting to 5th (overdrive). Listening/watching Glenns videos I noticed that you could carry your gear all the way down the straightaway without having to go to an overdrive gear.

Glenn

you are correct. 9 times out of 10 i would take the last turn in 3rd and shift just before the start finish to 4th. i was topping out around 125mph and braked between the 3 and 2 marker.

CMC#11

David, my guess is you are leaving quite a bit on the table running the 3.08's. I know the new model Mustangs like the 3.73's but it seems like the fox's are about 50/50 between 3.55's and 3.73's.

I would guess your motor makes peak hp around 4900-5000 and it is most likely taking a while to get in that peak range.

nasa-rm

3.73 for us. I was wondering why I kept catching you midway down the straight at the starts.

Staying in 4th was banging off the rev limiter (6200) just at the end of the pit wall into Sunset. I went to 5th a few times wishing I had a higher 5th than the .68 gear.

Kept running out of gear in 3rd into Windup.

Maybe a 3.55 would have been nice to try?

GT4Point6

In a way, this confirms my experience with the DynoJet: it does a reasonable job of adjusting to altitude. You went from Dallas to SLC, with almost no change.

For some, the dyno experience was good... I'll start a new thread on it, it deserves some discussion.

GT4Point6
3.73 for us. I was wondering why I kept catching you midway down the straight at the starts.

Staying in 4th was banging off the rev limiter (6200) just at the end of the pit wall into Sunset. I went to 5th a few times wishing I had a higher 5th than the .68 gear.

Kept running out of gear in 3rd into Windup.

Maybe a 3.55 would have been nice to try?

Same here, 3.73 and 5th on the main straight.

Dave, what size restrictor do you run at MMP?

nasa-rm

50mm and it gave me 235/282.

Glenn

the previous vid was edited wrong. try this one.

GT4Point6

"This is a private video" comes up on Vimeo

GT4Point6
50mm and it gave me 235/282.

The only difference being pulleys gave me 252/290 with a 50 at MMP.

Glenn

"This is a private video" comes up on Vimeo

fixed it.

Al F.

bsim

Maybe Jeff shoulda provided the links...

Linky no worky for me...

MHISSTC

I clicked on "view jeffs gallery" and I see pictures.

MHISSTC

Ouch!

It WAS a nice car.

422.JPG

MHISSTC

I'm finally getting around to it:

Thank you to all of the CMC/AI/F5 folks, all of our surrounding garage mates, and everyone else we talked to, ate dinner with, and generally hung out with during Nationals. You all made the experience very worthwhile for a couple of inexperienced first-timers.

Special thanks to the following:

tech garage folks - amazing efforts to get folks through quickly and checking an unbelievable amount of stuff

Texas CMC/AI and Todd - good beer, hospitality, socializing, and for coming by to introduce yourselves and making us feel welcome

Al - for getting the ironic humor in our team name and giggling every time you said it during roll call in the drivers meeting

Adam - stopping by to talk Mustangs and keeping everything running smoothly

Balingits - food and beer, great super smooth event...but we're used to all that good stuff in the RM Region

Dave T. - being my teammate and for providing the funds for the build and something to practice on before I build my own car.

Lisa (wife) - thanks for letting me be a grown up child and letting me play with my cars.

Al F.

fixed links

GT4Point6
GT4Point6

Lap 1 CMC Nats

Started 3rd, got a good start, Love gets a good run out of a turn and takes second place for a bit.

32 mb

http://www.margetta-racing.com/video/09cmcnatslap1.wmv

Misc traffic

Green flag restart after double yellow, Love goes around in turn 1, CMC2 and FFR traffic.

31 mb

http://www.margetta-racing.com/video/09cmcnatsmix.wmv

Vimeo versions