Starting an New Class

TexaST-1

I am working on a new class, at least in the Texas Region, for next season.

I am working on a name for our class. I plan to bring in all of loose under numbered super cars and pick up where AI leaves off. I want to include anything that is considered Grand Touring beyond Mustang and Camaro.

Corvettes, Vipers, Ferriarias, Porsche and others I have left out. I plan to apply the same type HP to Wt ratios that are currently used in VVVC. Generally the entire rule book for VVVC but with lines for other Manufacturers.

Names:

GPT (Gran Production Touring), ECT (Excessive Cash Touring), I need some help for this

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TexaST-1

• Jaymz

• BradyMorehead

• FrankBarba

Kevin,

Sounds great. Do you know if we can have a chance at competing at the Mid-Ohio event if we have a unique series?

The Gran Touring naming sounds good to me.

Brady

Jay said we have the go ahead from NASA National HQ to start working on this for National Competion. I plan on it being part of Mid-O.

I want GTP but I think IMSA may have dibbs on that name.

Kevin, I am looking for a place to put a cage in my Vette. I talked to you at TWS ( I have the other Nassau Blue FRC). WHo did your cage? I talked to LG Motorsports, but they would not give me a definite price. Do you have any suggestions? I am trying to have the car ready for the 06 season. I am building it to VVC rules, probably the second group. I guess I'll just put it in what ever class ends up being the best turnout for these type of cars.

Dave has open a first class shop at The Ranch in Cresson TX. PerformanceSpeedTech.com I told Brady about this shop as well.

Dave says his guy is reasonably priced and very, very good. Tell Dave I sent you so I can get some sort kick back!

My cage was done by Lance Mallett in Ohio and was tremendously expensive. (More than a Spec Miata)

I am planning to re build my car for the first or second group as well. If I can get this new class off the ground the group rules will be the same just opening the door for more Marques.

PS: You have to repaint your car. "There Can be Only One"

That sounds good. Thanks for the info. So the class would be opened to most makes, just governed by the power/weight ratio? As for the color, maybe we can have our own Nassau Blue challage for who gets to keep it. Of course, I need a bunch of handicap points.

Kevin,

If your involved with the wording of the rules and restrictions of this new class, then can I make a recommendation?

in 11.1.7 of thee VVC it says dry sump setup are allowed only in VX cars. I think it shouldn't matter, if the power/weight ratios are regulating the class. Then we can include the *new* ZO6's to the party. I want to include them and the others that have a different oiling system.

Also would a vented hood (like the one used in World Challenge) be allowed in 15.1.11 , seems OK, by the slightly dubious wording.

Thanks

Brady

The Z06 and most 911 Porsches are dry sumped from the factory.

The hood deal would probably be a Level 2 modification. Level 1 will be mostly Crossovers from SCCA club and other sanctioning bodies that don't want to go nuts to compete.

there is also talk about removing the fuel cell requirement from VX since it is not required for SCCA WC cars, and its almost impossible to get the fuel cell to within 12" of the stock tank location.

The plan is to have it as a 2006 class. I'll be working on the class rules this week. Tell your friends let's build a class!

ryan0 where are you from?

Edited by Guest

I don't understand why dry sumping for protection of the engine would matter. Any HP gains would have to be countered by additional weight, and that HP can be gained in so many other ways. I am thinking of just adding a level of protection to my engine. I don't see that as going crazy to compete.

Besides you'll beat me anyway

Brady

This is amazing. The V V C class is basically DEAD. Posts are hardly written. Now you come here have a decent post going & it has nothing to do with Vipers, Vettes, Ferrari's, or Porsches.....If you have the ok from National....Talk to them about doing away with the VVC heading and you can have this message board.

I see this as a great class, but I don't know what we can do to spread the word. If NASA is behind this, then they need to move now and use it's resources to get the word spread.

A new forum spot would be good, but are they shutting down VVC? They need to let us know sooner than later. Maybe some guidance from NASA would be the next good step.

I run with the Porsche Club and the SCCA here in South Texas and I would gladly spread the word. A lot of them would be able to run in this class, but we need to know the details. Everyone is working on their cars right now for the new season so now's the time. If there is anything we can do to help, let me know.

Grand Production Challenge

I have re-written the rules as I think they should apply. I will submit them to NASA this week. They are basically an overlay of the VVC rules.

GPC or GTPC should be the new heading for our new forums site, but I need NASA National approval to move forward and make this thing go. All of the input and support we can give to NASA showing we are in favor of starting this new clas would be helpful.

If you have read the VVC rules they will basically match those as written for the Vettes and Vipers. I have made some changes in the rules and will share them but for the most part we are as is except for:

Add Porsche, Aston Martin, Ferrari, BMW M5, Acura NSX, Maserati and Lamborghini. I don't anticipate anything more than the normal showing but we have to leave the door open for new racers. This is where I need the national office to help layout the Hp to Wt as they appear for the Vette and Viper in Level One and Level Two and section 8 Eligible Manufacturers

GP1, GP2 and GPX are the classes.

Add under Safety: Corvette 5 and 6 are exempt from fule cells due the nature of their factory fuel tanks. I am not sure why this was not already in the rules. World Challenge GT recognizes this as well.

10 Markings and Class Identification

All Marques shall...

11 Allowed Modifications

11.1.7 Any oiling system may be used, but dry sump systems are only allowed in cars that are delivered from the factory with dry sump or GP2 and GPX. HP/TRQ/WT levels must be maintained.

Kevin,

Do you think that there really needs to be 3 classes? AI and AIX work great. Wht not limit it to two classes. It might make the fields look better.

This is coming from a VVC Ohio/Indiana racer. I would love to see more people show up in the class.

I do strictly for 2 reasons. I want to allow all of the other disgruntled T1 cars to have a direct cross over class to from the SCCA.

2nd It is very easy for most Corvettes and vipers to exceed the power to wt ratio. The X class will also allow the World Challenge GT cars a place to hang out.

GPC-1 More or less stock with room to grow

GPC-2 Cars accidently or purposly exceed the preparation levels of 1

GPC-X Everything beyond that or cars that exceed the rules of 1&2 can still race. (like having no dyno sheet)