• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TexaST-1

• Jaymz

• BradyMorehead

• FrankBarba

Good job Kevin.

I look forward to it. And I think there should be a lot of interest in this class. Just hope all those cars start coming out of their garages and are put the use, or abuse, they were intended for!

I have submitted the rules to NASA Texas for review who will the pass them onto NASA Nationals.

If all goes well this will be a new class by the end of this month and ready for the 2006 seaon!

I have had a few meetings about the rules. The decision has been made to rewrite the Level 1 rules to be more of a stock (read T1) preparation class. The intension is to grow the class and allow the guys who want to flip flop back and forth between SCCA T1 and NASA GPC relatively easy.

Being that I have raced a C5 Corvette in T1 longer than anyone else in the SCCA (National Victory January 1999) I want to alow upgrades to correct the weak spots that result in increaded costs for upkeep. The Idea is to replace it once and for get it ie: (stock clutch set up)

OK fine. I like the fact that people want to flip flop between SCCA and NASA...shoot I might too. But, what I need to know is how stock is level 1, because if it's a bone stock T1...then most of us including yourself are out of that first level; Yours in peticular-> no glass in the door, cam and other mods, etc. And I won't be gutting mine and making it as light as possible, because I was leaving my power low(stock) to compensate, etc.

I guess I'm saying- if we are all going into level 2. Then I'm going to be able to modify more than planned, and I would like to know that as early as possible.

I think only thing right now that you need to take car of for GPC1 is the big hole in the back bumper of your car. If you are still more or less T1 you will easily fall into GPC1.

Is there a place to get a copy of the rules anywhere? I am building my car right now and the rules might a big difference on some of the options that I take.

Ledfoot, Send me an email and I'll let you know where you are.

[email protected]

Anyone else who wants to email me to talk shop and classification, please do. The rules have been submitted and we are finalizing them.

T1Z06 - I retract my statement about discgruntled T1 drivers, I was more or less talking about myself and the SWDiv. But you have made my point. I want T1 Cars to be able to race both NASA and SCCA without major modification. That is what my second rewrite is addressing. The way the original VVC L1 rules are written it would render a T1 prepared car uncompetitive.

Here is my general rule I am using for this:

I would not want to put my T1 Corvette against Lou G's WCGT Vette against Paul Gen's T/A Jag.

GPC-1 is based off of T1 regs with some upgrades that make sense over faster.

GPC-2 is based on stock plus upgraded HP to WT Brakes, Suspension, Aero kits and such. Factory spec race cars like the Ferrari Challenge, Carrera Cup are also included in both GPC-1 & 2.

GPC-X Think World Challenge GT. Some cars will also automatically go strait into X (Viper Comp Coupe, Ford GT, Carrera GT) you get the idea.

My car will run in GPC-2.

I have long since passed the limit of 1. I also plan to work with Lou Gillotti and rebuild the car with most of his parts as sponsorship deal. Most of Lou's parts would not have wokred with the SCCA T1 rules. Now in GPC-2 I can campaign most of them.

I think it will be mostly 1 and 2. In theory a driver could bring a stock Z06 or Vipper or one of the Marques and meet the saftey requirments to start racing! Then build up as they choose. There are also plenty of good T1 cars for sale at a fraction of what the build cost was.

WCGT cars can show up and prepare for their series or retired cars can start a new life in X.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin..

I just bought a second Z06 w/ some more mods on it to run NASA and SCCA regional class of SPO with. (I'm still going to run the T1 car nationally). The Southeast NASA division is still brand new and growing..so will this new class be in the SE div. as well??? How about at the National runoff's?

Right now it seems to me there are TOO many classes for the cars to run.Only 1 or 2 cars /class show up. I ran SU last year in NASA w/ the T1 vette. That car as it sits was only beaten twice..once by Farmer's WC vette & once by Lesneski's blown mustang w/ 650+hp. So the T1 car is competitive.

I hope this new class gets off the ground. NASA has been a welcome addition to my racing. Lower key, more track time and generally more fun. We just need it to grow!!

Hope to finally meet you & big blue in MO this year.

Hey Bob,

I have the same situation here in Texas. That generally why I started this new class. I want to distiguish the levels of "Super Car" preparation. Your T1 Vette should be able to race against other similarly prepared cars, not WCGT or force fed moostangs. They all have their places. I usually ran alone even though there were cars that should be grouped up on the track at the same time.

The plan is for this class to be Nation Wide and a class at the National Show Down. What is NASA calling the big dance? Runoffs is inappropriate.

Frank, you are Keiths Dad? I have to get clarification on the Comp Coupes. I have placed the new body in X. I plan for the national office to spec sheet the HP/TQ the cars and place them based on that. I was unaware of "Diffent Levels of Comp Coupes" your imput would be greatly appreciated. (And Class Support)

Nasa Nationals will help decide where particular cars will go and how. The Porsche cup cars are also different (Cup, CUp RS and RSR). If you noticed in the VVC rules an older Corvette gets more HP/TQ to the wheels than the C5s, this is to help to the older less sophisticated cars keep up.

Rule of thumb for car prep, while we finish the fine points of the rules: All cars must have factory frames, no tube frame cars. All classes will have a HP/TQ control factor. T1 level prep for GPC1. GPC2 will be more of an "Aftermarket" type class; Brakes, Suspension, Mild Areo, More HP/TQ to wt. GPCX will be World Challenge and Beyond.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the new class rules available yet? We are about a month away from the first race now. I am building my car with the assumption that it will fit in the first class based on what is being discussed here, but it would be great to be sure.

We are finalizing them with NASA now.

Ledfoot, I think you are going to be on the border of 1 and 2. I will talk with Jerry, but your cam, hedders, and other mods will kick you up to 2. SLicks will definetly put you in X. GPC 1&2 are DOT tire classes. You can see in my earlier posts that GPC1 is T1 stock type class and GPC2 is "Aftermarket" and X will be fully developed WC type cars.

I agree. I am going to run DOT's. The power to weight ratio of my car will still be within the GPC1 power/weight ratio because my car is a C5, not a Z-06 so it is down on power to start with compared to most T1 cars. If I have to move to GPC2 I will have to drastically increase my power with new heads or something else to be competitive with modded Z-06's.

Comp Coupes come standard with Hoosiers Slicks. I can see that these cars will be discriminated against. Comp Coupes can be ordered or built to World Challange series specs. Now i have a Spec Comp Coupe your going to place me in X because my car is standard with Slicks? World Challange Comp Coupes run DOT Toyo's. Even with DOT Tires these cars are worlds apart. Looks like this is shaping up to be another SCCA Series for Corvettes. I know i can not compete against a World Series Prepared Car. Guess i'll hang in Viper Vette Challange Series.

Hmmm, this class was only meant to enhance the class VVC, by bringing in more competition. But all the class rules aren't drastically changing? Are they?

I guess we will have to wait for the people making the decisions to give us the rules.

I have sent the rules to Jerre and they are reveiwing them now.

They have asked for target info from me.

Frank, since your are the only voice for the vipers on our thread, please let me know more about what you ar talking about. I am not familiar with different levels of comp coupes. Please elborate.

The slick rule is not against vipers. It is a competitve rule that is fair. If anyone needs to run slicks then it is an X level up grade.

TexasT1- Exactly what do you want to know since you seem to be uninformed? SCCA places the Comp Coupe in GT-1 to run with

all tubed fram Trans-AM cars. The Comp Coupe is not Tubed Framed.

Have you seen any Comp Coupes run Nationals with Trans Am cars Nationally? No because they are not Competive in this class.

Comp Coupes that run World Challange have a Vast Upgrade List. If i wanted to run World Challange it would cost me almost another 75-100K to do this, only to run top 8-15 because of attrition. I really don't think that i am going to put that kinda of jack into my Spec Series Car to run with NASA.

The Comp Coupe to Keep It Simple (KISS) is no more than a SRT Frame with a RollCage- Same Brakes, ect...Heavy Car. Cost is 129K for an out of the box racer.

Sounds like you want the Corvette to have upgrades for the weak spots but keep it classified to make a GPC Class for corvettes only. Kinda like AI (Mostly Mustangs).

I have raced with World Challange Cars and even Rolex Prepped cars and i will still say that my Comp Coupe can not keep up with them even on Hoosier Slicks. Maybe its the driver, Maybe its the Car Prep, Maybe its the Rules, but i do know if your trying to get other marks to race in this new class you are going to have to make it fair for everyone and every make. Slicks do not require a move up in class. Even VVC 2 rules state that " may use slicks or DOT Approved Tires"

Feel Free to contact me anytime....717.648.5651 Mobile

717.766.2039 Home East Coast Time