stuckey81

would like to join nasa

stuckey81

Hello,

I came across the NASA site about a year ago, and would love to get involved. I live in northern Illinois. I've never been involved in a racing series, and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to go about getting into the series. I was particularly interested in the camaro mustang challenge, but noticed that most of the competitors were on the west coast. Does this series compete in the midwest? Also, I noticed the midwest series and the great lakes series use many of the same tracks. Are they two different options to join, can you compete in both? Being in N. Illinois, which would I compete in? Is there a series director that I would contact to start or join this series?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Scott

roadracerwhite

Hey Scott,

My name is Bryan White. I am the CMC series director for the Midwest and Great Lakes region. Being from Northern Illinios you would be in the Midwest region. The way our points work this year, we are running the best of 12 races.

We have 4 cars currently running in the Midwest and there is one car in the Great Lakes. There are several people building cars which will be joining us soon (2010/11 season), most of which are currently in HPDE right now.

To get started, you need to be a NASA member, hold a competition license, and a legal car. Have you done any track events? Do you have a car??

What are you doing next weekend? Can you make it to Putnam? All four of us from the Midwest will be at Putnam next weekend, Rob from the Great Lakes would have made it had his engine not let go a couple races ago.

I also will pm you my email address, in case you have more questions.

Bryan

avgjoe

If your new to racing in general, a great way to save some money and learning a ton is by volunteering. NASA Midwest and Great Lakes have a program where you can earn free track time (HPDE, TT, or Racing) by volunteering to help them put on an event. More info can be found under the "Get Involved" heading on the left column of thier website. It's a great way to get close to the action and meet some of the great people (drivers & staff) who are NASA Midwest & Great Lakes. If you can make it to Putnam, you should definately go even if your just spectating.

Joe

GT4Point6

Start by going to the tracks and meeting the drivers and officials. They will guide you in the right direction. Lots to absorb at first but it will all come together. Get in good with the racers of the class you are looking at as almost all will bend over backwards to help you out and steer you in the right direction as well as telling you what doens't work on our cars which will save you some time, money and frustration.

Good luck and get to the track!

stuckey81

wow, thanks so much for the information. I have not done any track events yet, I just have gone to a bunch of events and never really had a car to bring to any of them. I have a 91 camaro i bought for the purpose of racing it. My main concerns are making it legal to race in a particular series.

How do you go about getting your license, by just signing up and paying, or do you have to complete a school for it?

I would love to come to Putnam, would only being there on saturday be ok? Let me know the best times to be there and I will try and make it down.

Thanks again guys!

Scott K.

roadracerwhite

Scott,

If you could make it to Putnam Park on Saturday that would be a great opportunity to meet some of the group and get an idea on how to get started.

Here is a link to the schedule;

http://www.nasamidwest.com/docs/2009/oct_putnam.pdf

Bryan

Sidney

Scott,

Team 309 (Bob #67, Bryan #18, and me #64) are all from the Peoria/Bloomington area and all run 3rd gen Firebirds. We have just completed a build on a new '89 TPI Firebird that will be for sale after this weekend. You are more than welcome to come down anytime to check out our cars. This weekend will be a great chance to see them on the track and absorb as much as you can about CMC.

We are low in numbers this year but Bryan is tracking probably close to 15 different drivers building cars so expect 2010 to have a much bigger field in both the Midwest and Great Lakes regions.

Sidney Franklin

CMC #64