2010 Rules are posted!!

Al F.

I appreciate the feedback on the LS1/4.6L 3v weight allocations. I certainly realize the effort the directors make to equalize engine/chassis combinations, particularly when dealing with new chassis (S197) without a lengthy "track record." Of course, I'm particularly interested in the S197 as we're running one in CMC2 in California. Just as has been done with the GM chassis, we're planning to establish a S197 baseline this coming year to, hopelfully, address the weigh penalty objectively.

It would be helpful if we knew the procedures and data necessary to give the directors a comfort level when considering the S197 weight allocation.

Notwithstanding the discussion, we're really enjoying our CMC experience and fully recognize the great work of the directors in the series.

Larry Klamecki

2006 Mustang GT #7

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Al F.

• Depaja

• HMark

• Glenn

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I'm reading your post correctly, Al. A 1999 - 2004 Mustang with a 302 will be 3200lb? that is the 50 lb reduction for the chassis and a 50lb penalty for the lighter engine. If that is the case I think that is perfectly fair.

-Don

Will a "red lined" or "changes only" version of the 2010 rules be posted so that we have a concise listing of only the changes? Found this really helpful in the past.

• Members

Yes Don, thats it.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Karl, Dave...yes yes, I'll send Brad a redline version to post. You'd think I would have a checklist for this time of year by now

Yes Don, thats it.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Karl, Dave...yes yes, I'll send Brad a redline version to post. You'd think I would have a checklist for this time of year by now

It's not like you guys have been busy or anything

Thanks guys!

There is a Ford OEM 2V aluminum block engine. It is from: 2002–2005 Ford Explorer, 239 hp (178 kW) and 282 lb·ft

It is a very popular engine in the Mustang drag world. They can be had for around $1k from Greenleaf where an iron Mustang PI runs around $1.6k

Would the Explorer PI 4.6 be legal in CMC2 with the added 50lbs? That combo would be a ton cheaper than getting a cobra block and putting 2V heads on it.

While the block should be, not sure if the heads are the same or the intake. Worse case, use the short block. Best case, just change the intake.

I'm sure a director will chime in. I'm not familiar with that engine in the Explorer.

What about a modular 2V in a fox?

I think rule 7.3 won't let you do that.

"7.3 Update/Backdate Non-body Components

Non-body components may be updated/backdated within cars of the same manufacturer on the eligible manufacturers/models list (i.e. 1982-92 GM Early components may NOT be interchanged with 1993-97 GM Late components) unless noted elsewhere in these rules."

In 6.1 Classification it has:

Early Ford through 1993 engine 5.0.

Edited by Guest

While the block should be, not sure if the heads are the same or the intake. Worse case, use the short block. Best case, just change the intake.

I'm sure a director will chime in. I'm not familiar with that engine in the Explorer.

I think the intake is the same. I'm pretty sure the heads are just PI heads. The difference I think is in the cams and the Engine Control Unit.

What about a modular 2V in a fox?

I think rule 7.3 won't let you do that.

"7.3 Update/Backdate Non-body Components

Non-body components may be updated/backdated within cars of the same manufacturer on the eligible manufacturers/models list (i.e. 1982-92 GM Early components may NOT be interchanged with 1993-97 GM Late components) unless noted elsewhere in these rules."

In 6.1 Classification it has:

Early Ford through 1993 engine 5.0.

Just throwing the concept out there, since 3rd gen camaros can now have LT1 engines

It's one step away from American Iron--any engine in any chassis.

True, it is kind of like an arms race. I'm not going to put an aluminum block in my '98 since I really want to start in CMC1 and my engine is fine. But if I blow that one up I'd love the option to be able put an Explorer engine in instead of having to buy a cobra engine and tossing the heads only to put 2V heads on it.

What really attracted me to CMC is the rules against mods and to try and keep things cheap. My point about the Explorer engine was not to game the system, but in the spirit of keeping things cheap.

We should give out some prizes to whoever can guess the identity of KimiFan. I have some things I can donate. I have some floor mats and a cardboard crown from Burger King

• Members

Mike

Lets find out the details around the motor. Fundamentally if its the same block its the same block, regardless of what chassis it was originally bolted into.

As far as the arms race, you'll notice we hit the aluminum 4.6s with a weight penalty this year, the entire purpose of which is to balance the value Vs an iron block. Yep, with an AL block you have better front/rear balance capability, but you have higher total mass.

Fundamentally, the difference between CMC and AI should not be measured as the number of options a driver has, rather the impact of those options to on track performance.

Mike

Lets find out the details around the motor. Fundamentally if its the same block its the same block, regardless of what chassis it was originally bolted into.

Thanks Al. Like I said I'm not looking to go to that engine, but would like the option someday since it can be had cheap. The drag guys love it because of the weight loss and how cheap they can be had. It really should have been the engine Ford put in the new edge GTs all along, IMHO.

We should give out some prizes to whoever can guess the identity of KimiFan. I have some things I can donate. I have some matt board and a cardboard crown from Burger King

fixed it for ya

John

We should give out some prizes to whoever can guess the identity of KimiFan. I have some things I can donate. I have some matt board and a cardboard crown from Burger King

fixed it for ya

John

Once apon a time in a Kingdom far far away, lived a young girl who dreamed of riding the pretty pony Mustang. She had heard stories from her great uncle Harley who said the Mustangs only lived on the far side of the Matterhorn near the town of Zermatt. She knew the only way she could ever get there was if she could capture the elusive and often dangerous Firebird....

to be continued!

Sidney

CMC #64

I have some floor mats and a cardboard crown from Burger King

If you didn't figure it out from that, then maybe you should be tested