Winter CMC build

mattr1548534738

My factory exhaust is rusted out and I didn't want to pay for new stuff. 12 feet of stainless tubes is cheap and it just takes some time to fab up. And it looks cool. I'm just trying to polish a turd : )

If it's really a big deal I'll leave it off and just do dumps, *sigh* like everybody else.

I understand that if it isn't explicitly legal, it's illegal. I suppose the issue is the 4 2.5" holes I have to drill for the exhaust tubes and the sheet metal.

Are there any issues with a color change on the car? It's red and I'm going white. It's not in the rules though... Sorry, I'm just being a smartass.

i didnt say you had to use a factory exhaust, just no reason to not use the same exit location.

and at one time there was a section on paint jobs on the cars.

Are there any issues with a color change on the car? It's red and I'm going white. It's not in the rules though... Sorry, I'm just being a smartass.

That made me chuckle ... and I like it.

Matt ... I for one appreciate your attitude after all the microscopic review of your project.

Most who have posted in this thread, including me, have been exactly where you are ... with a bull's eye painted on your driving suit.

Just know, that the above comments, except those from kimifan who is a flaming communist, are well intentioned and meant to minimize angst during that first tech inspection.

Great work and hope to see you at a track soon.

• Members

Damn Matt, that was funny. I agree with Mitch, these guys have the best intentions, but sometimes it does feel like you're on the firing line. A little thick skin and you can enjoy the benefit of a tremendous amount of experience.

I used to work for the Germans, I have very thick skin

Everyone here seems reasonable, which is why I chose nasa. I'm just trying to get some track time so usf1 will recognize my skillz.

I have a serious question for anyone with the maximum motorsports setup. I bought the whole package from them and the springs they supplied give me a 4" wheel gap in the rear and the rates seem very soft. They insist they're the right length and rate. Has anyone run into this?

I'm just trying to get some track time so usf1 will recognize my skillz.

You're alright man, no matter what Adam said about you.

Funny - that's the same thing I told him about you.

I'm just trying to get some track time so usf1 will recognize my skillz.

Since they are based out of Charlotte, NC..they have been scouting local talent...me

They are the white H&Rs and I did install the isolators. I'll pull them out, but that seems kinda wierd, to not have any rubber between the spring and the chassis.

It sounds like you guys have been talking about me. Nothing nice I hope.

• 2 weeks later...
They are the white H&Rs and I did install the isolators. I'll pull them out, but that seems kinda wierd, to not have any rubber between the spring and the chassis.

I guarantee it will feel better without the rubbers.

Nice!

I'm glad someone caught it. I was starting to think I was in a Ferrari forum.

Question for the race directors / chancellors of the underworld. My road and track box from Maximum Motorsports came with two sway bar reinforcement tabs. Are they CMC legal? I know they're not expressly written into the rules, but I thought the kit was nearly CMC homologated.

Just a quick update, both seats are mounted. I ended up yarding the cracked seat mounts and built some stronger pieces out of 11 ga square tube. That seemed to be the method most other people went, and it lowers the seat so I don't hit the cage with my head (I'm 6'4" tall). The last thing before paint is to install the harness bars and window net. I'm still trying to get on track by the end of January! I'll post more pictures soon so you guys can criticize and I can come back with some of that Honda powered wit

• 1 month later...

Well my Feb. 1st startup goal came and went. I did do an HPDE at willow springs in my street car and I'm looking forward to more track days this year with the stang.

January has been a slow month. I spent about half my weekends out of town for work and only got the window net installed. I am planning on painting the car in the next few weeks and I'll post pictures soon. I can't wait to get out there.

• 2 months later...

Progress...

It feels good.

IMG_1239w.jpg

IMG_1238w.jpg

IMG_1237w.jpg

IMG_1240w.jpg

IMG_1241w.jpg

edit: copy paste error... duh

Edited by Guest

I'm sure Adam's got a tear in his eye seeing another quad-light mustang

Damn right!

The car looks GREAT.

Alrighty, Matt, get that beast done, and let's go racing!

Looks good and yes I am jealous. You are so much further along than I am.

Do you know any trick on welding upside down? That one of my biggies issue trying to get a good clean weld.

Thanks for the compliments! I'll have more pictures as stuff gets done. I'm hoping the next 2 weeks will be really big. May 22nd is coming up quickly.

DrC, my only welding trick was to have a friend as a fabricator. He has been my biggest frustration in the project (can't keep a schedule to save his life), but the fabrication quality is damn good.

Parts of this weekend were productive, and I had a few disasters that are going to keep me off track for a while.

First, the seats, glass, harness, exhaust, and brakes all got installed. Lots of hands helping and big progress.

On the down side, it turns out the set of wheels I bought on this forum were totally bent and couldn't be balanced. I'll refrain from blasting the guy in the hopes that things are made right.

And at the end of the day, one of the ramps slipped from the trailer when the car was being pushed off and the radiator core support got tweaked along with the front bumper cover. Looks like I've got some more unexpected work ahead of me...