95 Mustang Winter Build for CMC 2010

DrC

Just like mattr, I am also in the middle of preparing my car for CMC next year. I was reading the article by Matt King in Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords where he said that some of the cars did not have window defoggers. My questions is do any of the CMC cars have window defoggers?

The reason I am asking is I was about to take mine out to make room for the roll cage. Is that not a good idea?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrC

• TurboShortBus

• Glenn

• stevemichael

Dan, Yes I have a defogger...It is a rag zip tied to the end of a stick! I use it to wipe the windshield when it gets to foggy to see. But The straight answer is no. Most do not have defoggers.

Bob

You need to get creative for defogging in the rain. The factory stuff is too heavy and the weight's in the wrong place.

I believe the floor is a good source of heat on track.

Just bolt a brake duct blower to the trans tunnel and run a piece of 4-inch ducting up under the dash below the windshield and run it off the same switch as the wiper motor. There's about 40 pounds of crap and complexity you can then get rid of under there!

Just bolt a brake duct blower to the trans tunnel and run a piece of 4-inch ducting up under the dash below the windshield and run it off the same switch as the wiper motor. There's about 40 pounds of crap and complexity you can then get rid of under there!

Spoon Feeding, much?

Since you are in OH, you NEED something. At the "constant rain national championships" I was very sorry I did not have our system still. I couldn't see anything and had to come in early during several sessions.

Rag and stick works ok, but I would prefer somehting with an on/off switch.

• Members

I've had decent success with a brake duct hose zip tied to the a-pillar out in the air stream and running the other end to the base of the windshield. I can see how something more sophisticated would be nice to have.

• 1 month later...

With this weather the progress is slow.

Most of the drive train is out waiting on a new clutch. Also have a new flywheel on order. After looking it over found some teeth missing.

All the in cab wiring was pulled out so we can put the Roll Cage in.

Roll cage is setting on the floor at Dayton Performance(Shop) and hope to pick it up this week.

And it looks like we are getting more show this weekend.

List of what has to be done by April 1st

Get drive train back in

Install Roll Cage

Re-wire everything that is not under the hood.

I will have more pictures later.

Rain-X for the interior part of the winshield works wonders in damp and rain conditions! Gut the blowers, not needed, neither are the wipers, Rain-X for the exterior!

...not needed, neither are the wipers, Rain-X for the exterior!

Dan,

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ADVISE. You'll need the wipers if you intend to race in the Midwest/Great Lakes area...which you are. I've been racing here for 10 years and not having wipers will have you parked. Don't believe me...next time you're on the interstate pull up behind a semi and shut your wipers off. That's what it looks like in the middle of a pack when the green drops. It's completely different than driving in the rain with RainX running 70 mph out in the open. It's the spray off the pack that does not run off the window and is especially bad when speeds drop coming up to a corner.

Now for the smartass that says if you're fast you'll be out front and won't be in the spray. Sorry but no matter how fast you are this is a CMC site and CMC cars start behind AIX & AI. So if you're as fast as I am in the rain you'll eventually pass most of them but if Griswald's got his cheater Hoosier Dirt Trackers on and Rusty has the Traction Control switch up...then you'll likely be following some serious spray!

Keep the wipers.

Sidney Franklin

CMC #64

and not having wipers will have you parked.

Yes.

I spent a good amount of time at the 2008 Championships at MO coming off track early and parking. I couldn't see anything and it was downright dangerous. Rain-X, defogger on the inside, etc - nothing worked except to park and wait for dry weather.

DrC lives in Ohio. That means he'll be racing at Mid Ohio. That means he WILL race in the rain. If you don't have wipers and a blower or defroster in your car, god help you.

Yes I plan to spend most of my time at Mid Ohio. I may have to rethink this. I had planned to keep the wipers but remove the defogger. I was looking to hook up a fan that would use the vent to blow fresh air on to the window but not heated.

We have a place here in Dayton call Mendelsons Liquidation Outlet that has a lot of old GM electrical items. Dayton was a big GM town before everything closed. That is where I found a fan and my switches for my control panel.

New update:

Picked up my parts for my roll cage, and other items to install T5.

This weekend To Do List.

Replace Rear main seal

Install new:

*Pilot bearing and flywheel,

*Spec Stage 1 Clutch

* upgraded T5 with .82 fifth gear.

Thanks Bob Denton for the words of encouragement. It is cold here and more snow on the way for this weekend. I have spent more time behind my snow blower then working on the car.

the only place i ever wished i had wipers was at Mid Ohio.

the only place i ever wished i had a defroster was at Mid Ohio.

looking out the side window for the braking marker at the end of the back straight (Turn 7?) thinking your gonna brake at the 4 or 3 cone and you see the 1 cone fly by is not fun!

You don't need to keep the whole factory heater/defroster unit. I would save a couple of the underdash vents and rig up a brake duct blower to the trans tunnel. That works pretty well.

New update:

Picked up my parts for my roll cage, and other items to install T5.

This weekend To Do List.

Replace Rear main seal

Install new:

*Pilot bearing and flywheel,

*Spec Stage 1 Clutch

* upgraded T5 with .82 fifth gear.

I would check the pilot bearing and just lube it with some good grease. Those can be a real bixxx to get out. I have not seen one fail yet. Work smart not hard.

Get OTC # 7318 for replacing the pilot bearing and save yourself a ton of hassle.

OTC Makes a good tool. So does Snap-On. Do not by a cheap knock off. It wont save you money in the long run.

Fill the recess in the crankshaft with grease and use a snug fitting socket and extension to hammer the old bushing out. Works like a charm. "wet newspaper" is probably a variation on that theme, but I agree that there's probably no reason to even both with replacing the bearing if it's not obviously worn.

Fill the recess in the crankshaft with grease and use a snug fitting socket and extension to hammer the old bushing out. Works like a charm. "wet newspaper" is probably a variation on that theme, but I agree that there's probably no reason to even both with replacing the bearing if it's not obviously worn.

That is exactly how its done, much neater than using grease, too. Its great when you don't have the tools on the spot.