2005 Inter-Regional 944 spec class Championship

Tim Comeau

I read in "SoPac News", the SCCA paper about AZ spec944 running at Willow Springs Oct 8-9 with as far as I can see a best laptime of 1.45.8

There's even a 944 on the cover.

Are their cars prepared that much different than ours?

No...

In fact they have an open tire rule and this can be much fast since Hoosiers are legal as well the popluar Goodyear GSCS.

Many of them are not really fast however. There are a few that are pretty quick. Glenn did run with them at Firebird a few weeks ago and ripped of a 1:09.xxx and set the spec-944 track record.

I do have to agree 1:45 are glacial...

Getting back on topic...

944 spec track records are only set during a NASA sanctioned 944 spec race. No practice or qual laps.

So December is perfect weather to lower a track record at PIR...

If you So-Cal boys think you are so fast... drop by a prove it...

I just think all you guys are full of bullycrappy

Go ahead... Prove me wrong...

.......that boy's just askin' for a Texas-sized a$$ whoopin'...............

There's a local autocross here in San Dog on Dec. 17th and 4 people have expressed interest in getting instruction or renting my car. Crap.

BTW... Was that 1:14.3 in the peak heat of the day 3pm - 5pm or was it before it got hot.

Yep, those were race laps. So it was Sunday after 2:00 for sure. Well, I think? Did we run early? Nah, it had to be after lunch because we ran the TT laps also. Some time in the afternoon. Hey, first timers, you know how it goes. You get into a groove and it's not until you come back a week later do you set yourself a new groove. I have no doubts we SoCal boys could keep up with you guys. At least in a better fashion that you AZ guys at Willow. DOH!!!!!

P.D.

I have no doubts we SoCal boys could keep up with you guys. At least in a better fashion that you AZ guys at Willow. DOH!!!!!

P.D.

Well don't forget in my last an only trip to Cal Speedway last march.

Friday practice I was as fast if not faster than all So-Cal Regulars.

Sat race I Qualified 2nd behind Dwain. And it was still learning the track.

Sunday I set the best lap (non Dwain) lap with you Dilly.

So you had the long 5th... Well I was STILL learing the track.

I seem have given you a tough run... there.

BTW... I have run as low as a 1:12.9 at PIR in my spec car on Toyo's. I just did not happen during a spec race so it not the track record.

Think you can beat that bucko?

So you had the long 5th... Well I was STILL learing the track.

I seem have given you a tough run... there.

BTW... I have run as low as a 1:12.9 at PIR in my spec car on Toyo's. I just did not happen during a spec race so it not the track record.

Think you can beat that bucko?

Hells yeah I can beat that! Well, based upon your logic anyway. You were learning the track. I was learning at PIR. How many seconds do you think you would have picked up? Because that's how many seconds I would have picked up at PIR? Oh yeah, I softened my front springs and sways, picked up a couple seconds at Streets (SOW). So, a couple seconds at PIR would have got me into the 1:12's. I love all this speculation. Wish the track was closer so I could come and test it out? Right now, I think Jimmy Marks, Mikael Weitze, (Dwain's not running next year?) and myself could give you guys a good run? We should do a relay race or something? Now that would be cool!

You know, how many times have you guys run at PIR? I think we have run Cal Speedway maybe 4 weekends in total? OK, tribute was a lot of practice laps. But, I've only been there 2 other times I think? Actually, 2 tributes and 1 NASA weekend? How many laps do you have on PIR? Your turn.

I'll bring my shifter kart!

P.D.

I how many times have I run PIR...

Well quite a few lest just say that. Enough also to know that you will NOT being doing 1:12s there.

Not going to happen buddy.

If you think you are so fast... just prove me wrong.

1:14.3 is just that a 1:14.3...

And in December a 1:14.3 won't get you anyplace.

Just a little FYI-

It was a 1st (time on the track) for the Spec-944's that ran Willow last month. Several of us hope to make it over again, as well as the Speedway this winter.

As for our driver's: We seem to have the A and the B groups. Some not as experienced but all having fun.

Track records apply with SCCA also only during races.

Happy Holidays and great racing!

But Joe, you keep avoiding my question. Being a politician? How much slower do 'you' go in the dead of summer versus cooler months? Seconds baby, give me seconds!

I honestly wish I could come over and run, I really do. All BS aside. But with a month to go and no propects for another rental yet, my chances are looking slim to none!

PIR was a super fun track. I think Jim Marks and Mikael W. should go give it a rattle. I also think Tim C. should go again and give it another go.

But Joe, you keep avoiding my question. Being a politician? How much slower do 'you' go in the dead of summer versus cooler months? Seconds baby, give me seconds!

Really I don't know. It is very hard to figure exactly. My guess is running a 1:14.5 or under in summer means you are on pace. So come the cooler months 1:13s are possible. Track record? Well that can't be determined until you actually show up.

Were their any Az regulars running at the time you did? Like maybe chas?

What were his times? I know with Hoosiers he as ripped of Upper 1:12's last febuary the PCA race.

Realisticly track condiditons change and absolute lap times are not that meaningful. Much better to compare to known quanties.

For example... My best time at Willow is a 1:39.9 in 2003. Not fast by today's standards, but that was set in July after I won both races. Timmy got fast lap at a 1:39.8 or so.

I'd expect that next time I run Willow I will be "up to speed" versus the pack, but I can't say for sure unless I run there. So really it is all just talking out my ....

Would you be fast at PIR... Probably, but you never know for sure unless you go. Hey it is very possible that changes you make to the car to improve your time at the Streets may hurt your PIR times.

Were their any Az regulars running at the time you did? Like maybe chas?

What were his times? I know with Hoosiers he as ripped of Upper 1:12's last febuary the PCA race.

Actually he was, really nice guy. Here's his results, on Hoosiers.

R9 Chas Wirken 1:13.892

Of course this all speculation, it's called smack talk. And I'm enjoying it!

Really, I would love to come, but 1 race weekend during this month when we NEED to find a place to live is already a lot. But, I will encourage Tim, Jim and Mikael to go, and any other SoCal racer that can make it. PIR was a fun little streets of Willow type track, but smoother. It really was fun.

P.D.

Ok, guys, after gathering some input and discussing it with the AZ Series Director, it looks like we'll shelve the southwest series concept for 2005.

Let's explore the idea for 2006. I want to pick 4 races; 2 in SoCal, 2 in AZ to make a 4 race series. We'll have to dodge conflicting race dates. Maybe we can get some bigger prizes for this bigger Championship?

Thoughts?