Greg Collier

Excellent 2005 Season!!

Greg Collier

Greg,

I just wanted to say congratulations on your season of great driving in no less then four-race series. Between your duties as the TT Director and your weekend marathon track time, you must have racked up a thousand laps between all the southern and northern California tracks. Even with your minor mechanical problems throughout the year you proved your SRT was a reliable force to be reckoned with. I’d like to compliment you on your sportsmanship and clean racing. You have earned the respect of many drivers and deserve the recognition and reputation of being an excellent racer. My hat is off to you for an exceptional 2005 season…

Greg Collier

Greg G.

Ah shucks Greg, you're making me blush

I had a great time this year, and I'm really looking forward to 2006. It was great competing with you in Super Unlimited. Somehow I don't think we'll have it so easy next year . I haven't decided what my own racing plans are for 2006 yet (ie. which 4 series I'm going to run in---just kidding-----maybe), but I am planning on running the SRT again (with some new mods).

Thanks, and I'll see you at the Banquet.

RJSmith

Gregs,

It has been good to get to know and race with you both. I hope we can run together next year and hope all your plains go through. I am shocked that Doc, you are only going to run four series next year! HAHA Good luck next year to you both!

Robert Smith

Greg G.

Well, I figured I better ease up a bit after running in 5 series this year What's going on with your cars? I thought we would see you at Buttonwillow.

Greg Collier

Hey Robert, or should I say ASC MAN alis, (z-boy)... You've gotta come to the awards banquet and except your PSO trophy. I'm gonna bring a shopping cart so Greg can get all his back to his car...

The other Greg

RJSmith

Only 5, wimp. Just joking, wow that is alot to run. The ASC car is not done yet. I hope to have it done to test in late dec at willow. The Z is just sitting here and I am waiting for the own to come up with something he wants to do with it. When is the banquet?

Greg G.

The date hasn't been announced yet for the banquet, but it will be in January.

RJSmith

Are you going to miss the Z Doc? How was the power that you added at Button?

Greg G.

No added power, just put in the new fuel pump, regulator, and filter and got the thing to run for more than a few laps. However, in the race on Sunday, I had wheel stud stretching/lug nut loosening issues, and ended up going into the paddock for about 5-8 minutes during the race. Also, on the last turn, of the last lap, of the final TT session of the year, I snapped the input shaft on the tranny--better then than the first day of the season

It's too bad that we didn't get more races where both cars were working well--but we sure had a few good laps. Willow Springs would have been a battle to the last turn both days if my engine would have been acting right. Good luck with the ASC car.

RJSmith

Well you put that car and its parts through a lot. Are you ok, did you hit anything? Yes willow was fun but I would still have beaten you! Maybe next year we could do something.

Greg G.

No, I didn't hit anything or go off, I just coasted past the start/finish and went backwards through the pit entrance to the track to coast into the paddock.

However, someone did hit the tires against the wall at Sunrise turn during the an SU session, when he got loose in the turn, tried to save it, and hooked it into the wall. Collier, did you see that happen?

Greg Collier

Who me...?

Final%20NASA%20Race%20018[1].JPG

The tires in front of the concrete wall made a big difference

RJSmith

Are you ok? How bad is the car? What clutch is in that again?

Greg Collier
Are you ok? How bad is the car? What clutch is in that again?

I barely touched the outside burm and instantly found tires coming in my passenger window. It was during qualifying so by race time I had it all wired and taped up. The damage was cosmetic with a couple of major cracks in the fiberglass valence.

The engine is a JDM 4G63 (transverse) FWD. The tranny is OEM with custom gearing and a KAAS limited slip. The car ran two full seasons without an engine re-build. The last six races the motor began sucking oil and water big time. I didn't push it, and that was pretty frustrating...

RJSmith

Glade to hear you are ok. So are you going to a EVO or just re-building the motor, for next year.

Greg Collier
Glade to hear you are ok. So are you going to a EVO or just re-building the motor, for next year.

IF, and that's a big IF I run next year, it will be with a big ol' totally built 2.3 stoker motor with a larger turbo. That would mean a constant 450 to 475hp at the wheels. I expect "SU" to be really competitive for 2006 as the SoCal series is becoming really popular. People will be using this venue for advertizing performance and after market parts, more so then they already are...

Did you see James Chen's 350Z on the front cover of "Import Racer"? It included a full four page spread about his car running the NASA Unlimited series. It was definitely cool!

RJSmith

What mouth is that on?

RJSmith

I think with a rebiuld motor can win the ship again if the car last. I don't think that all the peolpe will show up every weekend.

Greg Collier
What mouth is that on?

October 2005

RJSmith

What mouth is Chen on the cover of "Import Tuner"?