#18 Firebird fixed from the Hallet crash

roadracerwhite

After completely fubaring my car at Hallet on the first race on the first day. We got it taped back together for Sunday. Why not we drove all that way might as well get it back on track. Many thanks to those that came over and helped Dave and myself to make it back on track.

P6120576.jpg

With no front bumper core I was taking a bit of a risk, the aluminum one I had was mangled beyond repair.

P6130584.jpg

After I got home, I took everthing off the front end, and started drilling out spot welds. I removed everything that was bent beyond repair or what I had replacement parts for.

P7030598.jpg

Here is the replacement core support that Bob just happened to have laying around. I am very thankful he didn't throw it away the week before when he went to the scrapyard.

P7030599.jpg

We measured and cut off the frame rails.

P7060616.jpg

Started welding it back into place.

P7060620.jpg

Then we lined up the original pieces and respot welded it back together.

P7060625.jpg

Painted it and started bolting things back together.

P7100628.jpg

Thanks,

the hard part was getting all the panels to line up to weld together. I don't have much patience for that when I am under the gun. Many thanks goes out to Bob for helping me get it welded back together.

This winter Elaine and I are going to figure out how to keep the bird and incorperate the new color in the car. Everyone else wants me to pain the rest of the car black...wrong. Already have 2 Black cars and I am not going to have a 3rd as a race car no less.

Bryan

Many thanks to those that came over and helped Dave and myself to make it back on track.
This is why I race CMC. There must have been 12 people, 2 trucks and 1 come-along working on that car ~ and a lot of the people helping were competitors.

Dave's car was a little easier:

1) look at B-pillar

2) Make Dave get in car and use hammer

3) Shim door catch plate

4) Throw in requisite bailing wire and duct tape for looks

CMC Rocks! Glad to know you're back on track.

EDIT: helps to use the right word; good thing this isn't CC.

Edited by Guest

• Members

You guys are heroes. That was a seriously bent nose. I remember looking at the steering box and pointing out how it was way over from where it was supposed to be.

Getting that car back the next day was nothing short of miraculous I thought. Getting it back to better than before working out of your garage...well that is just legendary.

You guys are heroes. That was a seriously bent nose. I remember looking at the steering box and pointing out how it was way over from where it was supposed to be.

Getting that car back the next day was nothing short of miraculous I thought. Getting it back to better than before working out of your garage...well that is just legendary.

Well, if your already at the track your most likely committed to be there the whole weekend anyway, so you might as well do what you can there to get back on track, and if you don't then you that much closer to fixing it anyway.

Here is a picture of us changing the rear end out in an abandoned Mexican restuarant (drive thru speciifcally). In this case the car did not make it back on track, the clutch, slave cylinder and the trans were also trashed. What isn't in this picture is Bob's car next to us changing out his axle seals.

Dec05download037.jpg

What else are we going to? Loading up and going home on Saturday sucks.

One time, I was at Mid-Ohio and the T5 locked into 4th gear. So, I got a 10 year old phone book from the info booth, called junkyards and parts stores for an hour because half were disconnected numbers. Found a junkyard that had a V8 T5 for $450 and one that had a V6 T5 for $150. The Autozone had a V6 clutch kit for $200. So, dad and my brother ran around bumfuck OH for 3 hours while I worked tech. Then we spent the next 7 hours changing the clutch and trans on a hill (one jack stand on low, the other all the way up) in the upper grass paddock.

Took it for a test drive around the paddock @ 11pm with a Dewalt light duct taped to the hood.

It was really awesome running HPDE 3 the next day.

I was reminiscing about that this past weekend at Mid-O when we were in the grass changing a trans again. We've got better though. 1 hr, wheels up to wheels down. Mikey didn't even have to get out of the car.

I was reminiscing about that this past weekend at Mid-O when we were in the grass changing a trans again. We've got better though. 1 hr, wheels up to wheels down. Mikey didn't even have to get out of the car.

You guys are hard core.

+1

The 'Bird flies again, awesome! I have one of those aluminum 3rd gen 'Bird bumper cores, I don't think it will work with my '91 street car so it is available if you need. Also have a complete 3rd gen Trans-Am rear bumper bodywork assy in great condition.

Hey Firebird girl,

I am interetsed in your 3rd gen trans am parts

I plan on crackin out again next year

Carson

Hey Carson! That's my plan too! I'll contact you about these parts. I have some more 3rd gen items too.

Hey Firebird girl,

I am interetsed in your 3rd gen trans am parts

I plan on crackin out again next year

Carson

The great Carson Scheller will actually come and race with us??

Great to hear, Carson!