Help with Mustang track car / future CMC build

Hampton

Well all I have to say about all that is....

sweet.....

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm having some great success thus far selling all my Miata stuff. It's starting to fly off the shelves. So that doesnt suck. Keeping me busy as hell, but well worth it.

Gotta like the CMC / Mustang bucket..

I hope to have a car bought in a month so I'll leave all of you alone for now then post the scoop when she's in the garage.

It'll either be a 99+ GT or v6. Just depends on the deals I come across.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and all the help. Can't imagine a better intro. NASA and CMC really seems like home and glad I found my way here.

I'm really looking forard to this.

Talk to all of you soon.

Greg

Greg, I'd do alot of research before making the decision to put a 5.0 in a SN99. There are a few advantages and a few disadvantages.

If you run the original 4.6 the car has a minimum weight of 3150. It is alot more expensive to rebuild a 4.6 (opposed to the 5.0) but the benefit of the extra RPM is nice and you are able to run a more agressive gear (3.73 or 3.90). A big downside is if you want to run a different 5th gear ratio you need to switch transmissions. You also can't pull a the original T45 out of the car unless you pull the motor out of the car (when running long-tube headers). A T5 swap is available but that is just more money for the conversion kit and transmission.

If you put a 5.0 in a SN99 you have a 50 lb. penalty and now have a new minimum weight of 3200. Rear gear ratios are typically 3.55 or 3.73.

I guess the weight penalty is the only big downside to the 5.0.

If I had the choice I would rather have the 4.6 w/ T-5 conversion over the 5.0 but you are talking about quite a few extra thousand dollars. (rebuilt 4.6 is alot more than rebuilt 5.0)

Don in Socal has an SN99 w/ 5.0 and would be a good guy to bounce ideas off.

Al: Will do

Michael: Thanks. Well, hmmmm.. I like garage time and wrenching and will need some stuff to keep my attention next year in between HPDE's. I know I'd have to some updating / upgrading if I went with a 94/95 with a 5.0 and the T5 but I'd learn a bunch and become more familiar with the car which is a bonus in my book. I could also get into one much cheaper, and I like the idea of the significantly less expensive rebuilds on the 5.0's.

So.. ......wondering maybe if I should just shop for a 94 or 95 GT ??. It's good to throw all this around before I pull the trigger so thanks again for the help.

I'm all ears ( or eyes I guess if I'll be reading it) so the more scoop the better.

Thanks

Greg

If I bought 99-04 3.8 V6 with manual trans, and I then wanted to put a fresh 4.6 in it when I started my build, would that require a complete new wiring harness? If so is that a pretty big deal or not, since I'd be stripping out all the wiring that's not required by the rules anyway ?

Thanks

Greg

The V6 harness would need to get tossed in addition to the ECU. New replacement harness for a 4.6 is about $800 or you can try to find used and cross your fingers on reliability. The ECU will be a PITA (hard to just run to the junk yard) as you need to make sure to get the ignition key for it to keep the anti-theft stuff happy.

At that point, I'd just scrap the 4.6 and go with the spec 5.0 and 50 lbs.

• Members

I dont know for sure but I would be pretty shocked if the wiring harness for those two engines is the same +/- a couple of injectors. You can find junkyard engines complete with PCM and wiring and you can buy aftermarket wiring kits too....its just money, what else are you going to do with it?

Thanks Dave & Al,

The wife and I have been talking, and even though it's just DE's next year, we both know I'm going to be pushing it (big time), so a seat, harness and cage wouldn't suck and may keep me around and let me play for several years.

May just say screw all this "donor" stuff and buy one ready to go so I've got a little more than just air bags.

Talking to Dave (RM RD) about his and checking some others out as well.

Again, regardless, like I've said, I'll be pulling the trigger in a month tops and will keep all of you informed.

Thanks again for everything.

Greg

I like that idea, if you want a turn key car, ....which is a great way to get on track without the woes.

But that is a track only car and will scare everyone around you in your HPDE run group.

I really like the idea of a daily driver/HPDE track car such as finding a good '94/'95 5.0 mustang. Perhaps one that needs a little work to get running, or a small door ding here or there to keep the purchase price down.

Then, in a year when you're ready for wheel to wheel, you zap a cage in, race only brake pads, and you're good to go!

Enjoy either way you proceed.

...But that is a track only car and will scare everyone around you in your HPDE run group.

Not in the Midwest & Great Lakes Regions. We run at least 3 different groups for HPDE. Groups 1 & 2 ususally run together with 3 in a session by itself. Group 4 often runs with TT. Regardless of the vehicle being driven...we put you in the run group where you belong. In other words, a full blown racecar is only as fast as the driver driving it.

I vote for buying Ander's car!

Sidney Franklin

Midwest Region

Certified Instructor

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate all the help.

I'm checking out a few race ready cars right now and discussing specifics with their owners.

In the process, I'm going to ensure I pay very close attention to something that it seems all of you agree on: Seat Time!

I've learned there is a long list of pro's, con's, options, etc. Even one from me about a cage and harness for HPDE's over just air bags.

However I need to continue to remind myself about 2011 seat time and 2011 budget.

If a street car for 5K means the budget then allows for brakes, tires and every other weekend on the track (MAM - close to home - for open track days in between NASA HPDE's), but a race ready car for 8 or 9 grand (then maybe having to add a passenger seat, etc) means 2 or 3 times on the track next year....... Then I'm just gonna have to go with a street car and build it next winter.

But, that's what we're working through right now and trying to figure out what direction to go. Making progress and should know in the next couple weeks what route we're going.

I can guarantee this though (barring things outside of my control): My wife, our 4 legged kid (4 year old lab) and I will be at Autobahn April 16th with a Mustang in our trailer and ready to go on track. What car that is we don't know yet, but we'll have one and will be there.

but again, thanks a ton for all the hep guys... We're getting there.

btw: I hope there is an HPDE at Autobahn April 16th during that scheduled race weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger and informing all of you as promised:

I'm buying Dave Balingit's car and will be picking it up in a couple weeks.

As mentioned previously in this thread, I'll be at Autobahn April 16th for the HPDE. Hell of an HPDE car huh? I'll get after what I need to for my comp license and at least my car will be ready when I get there.

Lots to learn but looking forward to all of it, including meeting those of you that will be at Autobahn in April.

Thanks for all of your help.

GH

Great!!! That car has hit at least half the CMC Midwest guys at one point or another. You probably should not add the rest to your list! (Just giving Dave crap...most of the contact was us hitting him!)

This is terrific news...always nice to have someone listen to the advise given on these forums from guys that have "been there...done that". You bought a great car and it will be a nice addition to the Midwest/Great Lakes races.

Sidney

CMC2 #64

(Just giving Dave crap...most of the contact was us hitting him!)

Jeez, I hit him twice...better keep the orange duct tape on the side so our cars remember each other!

Welcome to the Asylum! Looks like we're going to have a real mix of 'Stangs to hold off this year in the MW/GL.

Greg,

Contact amongst the Midwest/Great Lakes drivers is very rare. All the contact with Dave's car was over 2 years at Hallet and this past Nationals at Miller. Do not expect to be knocked around during our Regional races as we frown on that kind of driving.

Sidney

Greg,

Contact amongst the Midwest/Great Lakes drivers is very rare. All the contact with Dave's car was over 2 years at Hallet and this past Nationals at Miller. Do not expect to be knocked around during our Regional races as we frown on that kind of driving.

Sidney

I wish that would permeate outside MW/GL

Yeah, I had to go to Texas (Ok, fine, Oklahoma, but it was crawlin with Cowboys!) to get my first taste of "that's just racin"....

Seriously, after a couple of years racing with the group here in the MW/GL, I was stunned at what some of the other regions consider "normal" contact. Guess that makes us just a bunch of big, fat, pu$$ys up here in the Arctic....and we like it that way!

Although in fairness, Sid did rub all the paint off my rear bumper once last year, then had the balls to question my "creative" definition of "the line".....

• 2 months later...

Can pick up my roller for cheap, most of the work is already done for you.

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3757

I was in your shoes last year, but with the current economy and job market, things just haven't turned out the way I had hoped.

This car basically needs a longblock with accessorys, trans and clutch.

Cheers!