CMC Wing Poll Inside!

Glenn

Should we keep wings for CMC-2?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep wings for CMC-2?

• Keep wings!
    • Get rid of wings!

I want everyone to vote please. Don't read anything into this, I'm just gathering data. By the use of the word "wing", I'm targeting rear spoilers that act as an airfoil. Think elevated from the rear deck and only work if air pass's over and under it.

I'm not looking for opinions of the current wing rule, just a vote for keeping them or getting rid of them. I just want to see if the Directors missed the mark when these were allowed.

Also, if the rule did change, post here if it would affect you.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitchntx1548534714

• Glenn

• camaro_1le

• CMC#11

Hmmmm,

Without large endplates and assuming they r not 3 ft long hanging off of the back like ProMod then I do like them. Similar to the design of some Mustangs and F-Body wings I've seen already. But not a fan of the ones that are a foot in the air with aluminum stands (Think old Superbirds).

Or since I'm a rookie I could just be an idiot, too! I don't want to see Camaro and Stangs running around that look like they came from The Fast and the Furious.

I voted to get rid of the rule, only because that's more money I can put towards track time & safety equipment. CMC is the "cheap" series right?

Also, if the rule did change, post here if it would affect you.

I could take that off the list and put the money towards something useful, like the mortgage!

Personally, I feel aero should be one of the clear lines between CMC and AI.

Be interesting if some of the other MW guys chime in. They all had wings in 09 and took them off towards the end of the season. They ran all of 2010 without wings or dams. Not sure you guys want to run against Denton with any "cheater" wing!

Ok I will chime in...Believe it or not I voted NO. And I was the guy who stirred up the rules at the 08 nationals regarding wings. I agree with you Kent and I feel that CMC / CMC2 cars should keep the stock apearing silhoutte and we can leave the wings to the AI guys. Just my opinion.

I had a CMC wing from Fulcrumaeroworks a few years back and thought it looked completely silly. The purpose of CMC is for a stock appearing car, wings are for AI.

I vote no aftermarket wings too...but get rid of the cheater Mustang wings also. No Saleen, Roush, Steeda, crap. If it didn't come on a Mustang GT then it's not legal. You can get rid of the Mecham Trans Am wing too...no ones ever seen one of those things in real life!

Sidney Franklin

CMC2 #64

I vote no aftermarket wings too...but get rid of the cheater Mustang wings also. No Saleen, Roush, Steeda, crap. If it didn't come on a Mustang GT then it's not legal. You can get rid of the Mecham Trans Am wing too...no ones ever seen one of those things in real life!

Sidney Franklin

CMC2 #64

I have seen one. Not in CMC, but a good friend owned a Mechan T/A new form Mecham. Wrecked it.

If we are suppose to keep the cars looking stock (which is great) down to the dashboard, I don't know why we allow non-OEM spoilers.

Wings are for fairies and AI magic-fairy.gif

I have seen one. Not in CMC, but a good friend owned a Mechan T/A new form Mecham. Wrecked it.

I didn't realize Kadin had any friends ... much less "good" ones.

And I knew that how ever I voted, every one would vote counter to that.

So all of you are OWNED ...

Sidney Franklin

CMC2 #64

I agree and I already have a wing in the works. I still say the rule was put into effect just so Tony G's mustang would be legal with its wing. Sorry Jerry. But I say get rid of all the Saleen, Roush, Ricer junk.

I voted to get rid of the wings. But I feel the need to further clarify my position from a generally Mustang perspective.

Get rid of the aftermarket modern style end capped, adjustable airfoil, mounted up high on a pedistal type wings and keep the factory wings, and the "factory approved" tuner wings.

Keep the Steeda, Roush, and Saleen wings that currently meet the wing rule. They are minimally effective, are still available, and they still provide a "period correct" look for the cars. On the newer cars that would include the Steeda end capped airfoil street wing on the short pedistals, but not the race wing which is basically the same thing mounted up high in the cleaner air. Also included in my list would be the Shinoda whale tail looking thing and the Saleen S351 biplane wing, although I don't know of anyone who could in all seriousness mount one of those to their car. Given it's height, that could be easliy omitted. I'm not as falimiliar with the GM tuner wings that were avialable back in the day, so I can't comment on them.

I also wouldn't mind having the rule rewritten to get rid of all the little plexiglas/aluminum/composite extension things I see folks bolting/screwing/riveting onto the factory style wings. But, I could take it or leave it on that part.

I still say the rule was put into effect just so Tony G's mustang would be legal with its wing.

Bingo! Never made "sense" for any other reason, especially trying to explain why the 2000 Cobra R wing was legal but the front splitter wasn't.

I still say the rule was put into effect just so Tony G's mustang would be legal with its wing.

Bingo! Never made "sense" for any other reason, especially trying to explain why the 2000 Cobra R wing was legal but the front splitter wasn't.

Thats is another topic I plan to raise very soon. Body parts that are specific to modles of cars that are not CMC legal should also not be legal. Roush, Saleen, and whoever else is on that list as well.

Can anyone name the parts from a Cobra R (that make it a Cobra R and not just a GT) that are not currently legal in CMC other than the engine?

Can anyone name the parts from a Cobra R (that make it a Cobra R and not just a GT) that are not currently legal in CMC other than the engine?

Is that a rhetorical question?

Sidney Franklin

CMC2 #64

I can top that. I found a Mechan T/A at the local junk yard. It was used up, but I harvested the spoiler. I traded it it to former CMC driver John Barker. John's CMC T/A already had a Mechan spoiler and he was just buying up the rare piece. They are a bit more common out west given Mechan was out of Pheonix.

To the question at hand; I'm against wings, but support non-OEM spoilers.

Sidney Franklin

CMC2 #64

I agree and I already have a wing in the works. I still say the rule was put into effect just so Tony G's mustang would be legal with its wing. Sorry Jerry. But I say get rid of all the Saleen, Roush, Ricer junk.

I hate wings also but my former Tony G car looks like $hit without it. I ran it last your at one event without the wing and I could not tell any difference. Prior to getting the 55 I was against wings and I have no problem if we are forced to take them off. The only reason the wing is still on the 55 is because it makes the car look good. To me most cars with a wing look like crap. I think the Cobra R wing looks the best of all of them and I don't think it does anything for you.

JJ

How can you call a Cobra R wing a spoiler? Isn't the Cobra R wing what was used to determine the current rules dimensions for allowable wings?

I think it falls into the same category as any other aftermarket raised bLiNGy wing.

• Members

Guys, big wings were always allowed in CMC.

From the 2003 rules (just to pick a suitably old rule set):

Any rear spoiler (rear wing) may be used. The rear spoiler shall not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from above perpendicular to the ground. The spoiler must fit securely with minimum modifications to the body and not significantly obstruct the driver's vision.

In 2007 this rule was modified to establish some limit of what you could do. We made it very limiting in CMC1 and made CMC2 effectively what the original rule was but with some limits on size and expense.

I'll admit the vast majority of drivers didnt take advantage of that almost limitless wing rule back in the day. Eventually a few did, and that's when this rule began getting attention.

Now that the facts are a little more straight...excellent discussion guys.

Since you can not run any of the front spoilers (splitters) from the cobra, steeda and rousch (aftermarket tuners), the easy thing is you can not run the rear spoilers. Just follow the KISS principle.

Allowing the cobra motor and parts is quite a bit different than allowing the body panels. We know why we allow those, lets all of us have an "easy" and "cheap" way to make numbers. I think the cars should appear showroom looking for the basic performance variant...GT and Z28.

What would be nice is to see photos of all of these tuners wings, spoilers, etc.