Break package #'s

ColtSmoke

Late Model Resto. has this break package

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M2300X/1996-04-Mustang-2000-Cobra-R-Front-Brake-Rotor-Kit

it is over $1,200.00 ($600.00 ea. Caliper) But includes other items, rotors/hardware & such. I look for the caliper itself to verify but could not confirm a price. If you look @ what the rotors and other pieces are worth it pans out to less than $1,200.00 (600.00 ea. caliper).

Can I run this package?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TurboShortBus

• HMark

• ShadowBolt

• ColtSmoke

Shop around, as Summit and Jeg's sell that M-2300-X brake kit for $1200.

It is CMC2 legal. I use it on my TTD car, and am very happy with it.

Mark

Shop around, as Summit and Jeg's sell that M-2300-X brake kit for $1200.

It is CMC2 legal. I use it on my TTD car, and am very happy with it.

Mark

Right On, thanks for the #'s...

FWIW, since you are just getting started down the path of CMC racing, my suggestion (designed to help you save a few sheckles now, with the goal of getting you on track sooner), is to put together a standard SN95 13" Cobra/PBR setup.

Once you've really gotten to the point of out driving the Cobra/PBR configuration, spend the $$ wisely on a serious brake setup. While there is nothing wrong with the M-2300-X kit (both from a functionality and rules perspective), you would be miles ahead in both driving skill, and being able to afford a more race-oriented setup that is 100% CMC legal.

You could likely put together the SN95 13" Cobra/PBR components for ~$300-$400, probably even less if you knew all the right places to look.

I completely agree w/ Adam on this. The 4-piston calipers are nice but are down at the end of the list of things to do to the car. I just got a set after 5 years of racing.

I switched to the StopTechs 2 events ago and they are super-sweet but definitely not needed for a new racer / build.

If you are interested I have a set of caliper brackets, Cobra calipers (plus an extra set of brand new spare calipers), SS lines, and a few sets of PFC01 pads (with different pad life left). I also have rotors I can throw in but it might be more beneficial to get new ones instead of shipping these.

Let me know if you are interested in the brake package and I'll put a price together and get pictures for you.

I completely agree w/ Adam on this. The 4-piston calipers are nice but are down at the end of the list of things to do to the car. I just got a set after 5 years of racing.

I switched to the StopTechs 2 events ago and they are super-sweet but definitely not needed for a new racer / build.

If you are interested I have a set of caliper brackets, Cobra calipers (plus an extra set of brand new spare calipers), SS lines, and a few sets of PFC01 pads (with different pad life left). I also have rotors I can throw in but it might be more beneficial to get new ones instead of shipping these.

Let me know if you are interested in the brake package and I'll put a price together and get pictures for you.

I need SN95 Spindles to put that stuff on my '88 fox right?

Michael don't sell those pads and rotors!!

you need cobra brackets for 13in rotors and calipers, I don't believe you need the spindles but I could be wrong.

Correct. For a Fox3, find a set of 1994/1995 spindles. 1996-2004 spindles will work, too.

You should be able to search around and find a set, or you can check on ebay - a 10 second search netted this set, with a BIN price of $190, and it includes hubs. Not a bad deal, IMO.

You could also search for a complete SN95 brake setup like this - 2004 GT brakes. Eric Varner won a championship using that exact setup on the ol' #17.

you need cobra brackets for 13in rotors and calipers, I don't believe you need the spindles but I could be wrong.

Jeremy is correct about the brackets - sort of. If Michael has the Baer modified Cobra/PBR brackets, they will support both a 12" and 13" rotor. Simply moving the bracket to the correct bolt holes, as well as a slightly different spacer depending on what rotor he's been using (cut down Cobra, or 12" Crown Vic), allows the change in rotor.

That equipment only works on SN95 spindles.

FWIW, I will begin parting out a 2003 Mustang GT rolling chassis (no engine, trans, front fenders, or front bumper cover) in a week or two. It was hit in the side near the right rear, and it fubarred the passenger side of the axle, but the front chassis and suspension are fine (spindles, hubs, A-arms, etc.).

Mark

Edited by Guest

Correct. For a Fox3, find a set of 1994/1995 spindles. 1996-2004 spindles will work, too.

You should be able to search around and find a set, or you can check on ebay - a 10 second search netted this set, with a BIN price of $190, and it includes hubs. Not a bad deal, IMO.

You could also search for a complete SN95 brake setup like this - 2004 GT brakes. Eric Varner won a championship using that exact setup on the ol' #17.

Jeremy is correct about the brackets - sort of. If Michael has the Baer modified Cobra/PBR brackets, they will support both a 12" and 13" rotor. Simply moving the bracket to the correct bolt holes, as well as a slightly different spacer depending on what rotor he's been using (cut down Cobra, or 12" Crown Vic), allows the change in rotor.

That equipment only works on SN95 spindles.

Had some free time today @ work, spent 2 hrs. @ yard pulling spindle/Hubs off a '95 GT.

What about steel braided/Kevlar Break lines to go with my new calipers?

[/url]

WOW! I just looked and noticed there is no provision for non-OEM lines. I do not know of a single CMC car w/ OEM lines.

I'll look to get the rules updated.

What about steel braided/Kevlar Break lines to go with my new calipers?

I have a brand new set, if you're interested. Send me an email. email.jpg

Yes, they are legal.

WOW! I just looked and noticed there is no provision for non-OEM lines. I do not know of a single CMC car w/ OEM lines.

What happened to if its not in the rules you can't do it? HAHA, This is why I am asking so many questions, I don't want to miss something. I almost used factory lines.

Now I have to check is slotted & drilled Rotors Okay?

CMC- 7.32.8

-2. Rotors shall be cast iron only and may be vented. No cross drilling or slotting is allowed.

CMC2- 8.7

-.1 & -.2 Make no mention of slotting/ drilling Or Brake lines. $600.00 a wheel buys some fancy shit.

Now I have to check is slotted & drilled Rotors Okay?

CMC- 7.32.8

-2. Rotors shall be cast iron only and may be vented. No cross drilling or slotting is allowed.

CMC2- 8.7

-.1 & -.2 Make no mention of slotting/ drilling.

This takes care of it:

8. CMC2 ALLOWED MODIFICATIONS

8.1 CMC2 Class Specific Modifications

In addition to section 7 above, the following rules apply to CMC2 class cars.

Mark

I got the '95 GT spindle/hub.

I am stopping @ the Autozone for '95 Cobra rotors, Fresh hardware, '95 Cobra power break booster/Master cylinder.

When I get home, I am ordering the calipers Adam recommended w/ the optional steel braided lines.

Break parts, Check!

Glen, I thought section 7.1 plumbing, would cover brake lines.

Why does it not apply to brake lines?

7.10 Plumbing

Plumbing, defined as hoses, hose ends, hard lines, associated fittings, and routing, is unrestricted provided it serves the same function. Filters for all fluids may be added or substituted.

Chuck Penney

CMC#14

7.10 Plumbing

Plumbing, defined as hoses, hose ends, hard lines, associated fittings, and routing, is unrestricted provided it serves the same function. Filters for all fluids may be added or substituted.

Chuck Penney

CMC#14

Very nice. I think it does.

I've been totally overloaded w/ work and the new car (less than 8 days to be track ready) and I have been really scatterbrained as of late.

Thanks for posting this.

7.10 Plumbing

Chuck Penney

CMC#14

Super nice chuck

I am stopping @ the Autozone for '95 Cobra rotors, Fresh hardware, '95 Cobra power break booster/Master cylinder.

The master cylinders came in different bore sizes that change the pedal feel.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but "I think" the SN95 GT cylinder has a 15/16" bore, the 93 Cobra has a 1" bore, and the SN95 Cobra has a 1 1/16" bore. The 1 1/16" bore will have the most firm pedal of the group.

I personally run the 93 Cobra cylinder and like it but it will all be personal preference.

The master cylinders came in different bore sizes that change the pedal feel.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but "I think" the SN95 GT cylinder has a 15/16" bore, the 93 Cobra has a 1" bore, and the SN95 Cobra has a 1 1/16" bore. The 1 1/16" bore will have the most firm pedal of the group.

I personally run the 93 Cobra cylinder and like it but it will all be personal preference.

C/P, From http://www.autozone.com

93' Cobra

Bore Size: 1 in.

Primary - Hole Size and Location: M10 x 1.0 engine side

Secondary - Hole Size and Location: M12 x 1.0 engine side

95' Cobra

Master Cylinder Bore Size (In): 0.937

Master Cylinder Port Diameter: Primary M12x1.0 , Secondary M10x1.0

We are looking @ .073 on bore and a shift in primary/ Secondary hole size.

Anyone wanna field that one?

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine...

BRAKES are what you need to safely convert your race car's kinetic energy into heat.

BREAKS is what your car does when it hits a concrete barrier.

So StopTech talks about a 4 piston brake package for CMC2 for $2,195 in the current edition of Grassroots Motorsports.....I'm seeing cars listed for that price! Did they mean to say AI?

David DeJarnette #678 Mid-Atlantic

So StopTech talks about a 4 piston brake package for CMC2 for $2,195 in the current edition of Grassroots Motorsports.....I'm seeing cars listed for that price! Did they mean to say AI?

David DeJarnette #678 Mid-Atlantic

People bitch about wings in CMC but $2000.00 brake systems are good for the series.

If I was in charge neither would be allowed (and my car has a wing).

JJ