• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TurboShortBus

• HMark

• ShadowBolt

• ColtSmoke

Speedlines. They are just a crack over 19lbs. Haven't weighed the salad shooters....

Maybe I better double check mine. I weighed Speedline 17x9.5s at less than 19 and Alcoas just over 19. Shipping weight was 20 with a heavy corrugated box. No that it matters since I can't run W2W yet. Working on it, though.

FWIW:

Generic chrome 17x9 1995 Cobra R look-alike is 20 lbs.

Mark

Wow, my brother's Cobra R's are 24-25 lbs.

My MB Competitions are 21 lbs (though some claim 20 lbs) and my buddies Konig's are 20 lbs.

I even have a set of 16x8 Cobras that are 23 lbs.

FWIW:

Mark

My MB Competitions are 21 lbs (though some claim 20 lbs) and my buddies Konig's are 20 lbs.

My Cobra R's are also 24-25 lbs.

JJ

FWIW:

Mark

My Cobra R's are also 24-25 lbs.

JJ

My bathroom scale was inexpensive, so there could be a slight margin of error there. But, it is usually accurate to within less than 1 pound when I ship stuff via FedEx and compare the box's bathroom scale weight to their digital shipping scales.

Weight may vary based on the Chinese sweatshop that produced the wheels as well.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
SN95 Wilwood brackets:

SN95WIL.jpg

Just to let everyone interested know, I ran these brakes at Buttonwillow this weekend and they performed flawlessly. With stock cobra rotors there was no discernible pad knock back effects and the braking force and modulation were lightyears better than the Cobra calipers.

I'm going to inspect the brackets this week for cracks, after that they will be for sale on my website.

Boudy in Texas is also in possession of a set to try, so there will be an unbiased datapoint after he runs them.

Oh, and you must have good brake ducts....

-Don

SN95 Wilwood brackets:

SN95WIL.jpg

Just to let everyone interested know, I ran these brakes at Buttonwillow this weekend and they performed flawlessly. With stock cobra rotors there was no discernible pad knock back effects and the braking force and modulation were lightyears better than the Cobra calipers.

I'm going to inspect the brackets this week for cracks, after that they will be for sale on my website.

Boudy in Texas is also in possession of a set to try, so there will be an unbiased datapoint after he runs them.

Oh, and you must have good brake ducts....

-Don

How much for the kit Mark?

JJ

It looks like the brackets with fasteners and brake lines will be around $280. The calipers and pads are available from several vendors from $450 and up depending on your brake pad choice. We may have a deal on them as well. The rotors are stock 13" cobra rotors and are not included.

-Don

Robert has only been on track once or twice in the last two years.

I'm just saying.

JJ

I'm just saying.

JJ

I ran 3 events last season, Biatch!!! Always hatin'!!!

Yes I have a set of Don's brackets, 3 pairs of Wilwood 120-11136 calipers, 3 sets of PFC 01's, and 1 set of new '04 Cobra rotors. As promised, I am planning on installing it all on Sunday and documenting the installation here on the forum.

The only thing I'm concerned about at this time is knock-back. Don hasn't experienced it on his car but if we do see it, I guess floated rotors are in the future.

The remaining 2 sets of calipers with PFC 01 pads will be sold for $435 shipped to your door. I can sell more at the same pricing, I just made an initial order of 3 sets. For any who want to pick-up at a Texas event, it's $420 plus a 6-pack of amber or brown ale.

Anyway, it breaks down to:

Wilwood 120-11136 calipers - $130 each

PFC 01 pads - $160 set

Shipping - $15

Boudy

I am familiar with knock-back occurring with rear calipers (non-floating calipers combined with axles with endplay), but what would cause it on the front? It seems to me that it would be time for a hub replacement if you are having knock-back up front. I am running 2000 Cobra R Brembo calipers up front (non-floating) with OEM-style 13" rotors, and I haven't had this problem. Maybe I'm doing it wrong again...

Mark

I'm just saying.

JJ

I ran 3 events last season, Biatch!!! Always hatin'!!!

Yes I have a set of Don's brackets, 3 pairs of Wilwood 120-11136 calipers, 3 sets of PFC 01's, and 1 set of new '04 Cobra rotors. As promised, I am planning on installing it all on Sunday and documenting the installation here on the forum.

The only thing I'm concerned about at this time is knock-back. Don hasn't experienced it on his car but if we do see it, I guess floated rotors are in the future.

The remaining 2 sets of calipers with PFC 01 pads will be sold for $435 shipped to your door. I can sell more at the same pricing, I just made an initial order of 3 sets. For any who want to pick-up at a Texas event, it's $420 plus a 6-pack of amber or brown ale.

Anyway, it breaks down to:

Wilwood 120-11136 calipers - $130 each

PFC 01 pads - $160 set

Shipping - $15

Boudy

You only have one set left. I want one. Bring it to TWS.

Don,

How much are the brackets? I wish I could make these for you but all we do is sheet metal www.picofab.com. Let me know if I can help on your other products.

JJ

I am familiar with knock-back occurring with rear calipers (non-floating calipers combined with axles with endplay), but what would cause it on the front? It seems to me that it would be time for a hub replacement if you are having knock-back up front. I am running 2000 Cobra R Brembo calipers up front (non-floating) with OEM-style 13" rotors, and I haven't had this problem. Maybe I'm doing it wrong again...

Mark

With the fixed 4 piston calipers, fixed rotors and the not so stiff Mustang spindles, it is possible to get knock back due to the bending of the spindle in cornering.

I tried to take all this into account when I designed the bracket. I ran my stress analysis with the entire spindle in the loop and saw only 0.018" of differential movement between the rotor and caliper worst case (1.5G braking and 3G bump) The stress in the ford spindle was at it's absolute material limits, so I think it was a good overkill analysis. (the spindle would fail if you could achieve these loadings...) The brake bracket actually reinforced the stock spindle over the cobra bracket design.

0.018" would be a small amount of discernible knock back, but the spindle should never see that kind of loading.

I'll have pricing and availability of the bracket kits up on my website by the end of the weekend.

-Don

With the fixed 4 piston calipers, fixed rotors and the not so stiff Mustang spindles, it is possible to get knock back due to the bending of the spindle in cornering.

Everything deflects somewhat, of course. But, I guess I'm not driving my car hard enough to worry about it!

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Just spoke to wilwood today. Some of you may have noticed Willwoods "deal" on page 143 of 5.0mustang July issue. That add is for the 6 piston 13 inch set up but he said the same deal applies to the 4 piston superlight. The kit (brakets,lines,calipers and illegal 2 piece rotors-sell on ebay) will be available for purchase beginning of June. Not sure whats cheaper- Wilwoods kit or piecing it together using Dons parts?!!

• 4 months later...

Boudy and HMark

Bringing this back up as I interested in the parts (calipers, and brackets) to get this setup going on a couple of my cars.

Thanks,

Matt

Boudy and HMark

Bringing this back up as I interested in the parts (calipers, and brackets) to get this setup going on a couple of my cars.

Thanks,

Matt

I have a few of the bracket/fastener/plumbing kits left. They are $280ea. You would have to source the wilwood calipers, pads, and cobra rotors from standard sources. I'm not sure if Boudy has any of the caliper sets he bought left.

You can PM me your email addy and I can send you a paypal invoice if you want a set.

-Don

Boudy and HMark

Thanks,

Matt

I have a few of the bracket/fastener/plumbing kits left. They are $280ea. You would have to source the wilwood calipers, pads, and cobra rotors from standard sources. I'm not sure if Boudy has any of the caliper sets he bought left.

You can PM me your email addy and I can send you a paypal invoice if you want a set.

-Don

Don, I sent you a PM from C-C.com yesterday (jkcobra98)

• 3 months later...

Has there been any further testing with the Wilwood "Forged Superlite Internal" 4-piston calipers on SN95 spindles with Don's brackets? If so, how are they holding up?

Mark

Has there been any further testing with the Wilwood "Forged Superlite Internal" 4-piston calipers on SN95 spindles with Don's brackets? If so, how are they holding up?

Mark

We are having a little trouble with lock-up (you have to be really easy when you first hit the pedal) and as the brakes releases (they are slow to release). I talked to Todd at TCE and he said there are several differential bore FSL's that would work better than the one's we are using that have the same size pistons. I'm going to try later in the year going to one of the part numbers he suggested. The brackets Don made are plenty strong and we have not had any pad knock-back issues at all. I wish I had talked to Todd prior to getting the calipers. He is a believer in Wilwood and he says the correct FSL will work fine on our cars.

Jerry

That's good to hear. I'm strongly considering switching to the Wilwood setup (if Don is still in the bracket-making business, anyway) and relegating the Brembos to the street Mustang so I can reduce my annual cost of brake pads.

Mark

That's good to hear. I'm strongly considering switching to the Wilwood setup (if Don is still in the bracket-making business, anyway) and relegating the Brembos to the street Mustang so I can reduce my annual cost of brake pads.

Mark

The pad for the FSL has more than double the pad material than the Cobra PBR brakes have. I pay $160.00 for PFC01's that last at least double what I was paying $220.00 for. If you make spacers to go behinbd the pads (like I did) you can run the pad almost all the way down to the metal and keep the piston in the caliper body.

JJ