Break package #'s

ColtSmoke

In many cases, "release" is a functionality of the pad compound being used. Some compounds "release" better than others, so before swapping calipers, it might be worthwhile changing compounds.

Just a thought.

FWIW - I love my StopTech's. Don's equipment is outstanding, and the much lower initial cost is a huge help for many on a tighter budget than StopTech's. But, if you have the ability, there is no doubt....they work incredible.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TurboShortBus

• HMark

• ShadowBolt

• ColtSmoke

They may work incredible, but of course you shouldn't feel the need to get the big brakes/4 pots to be competitive since the factory stuff should lock up the wheels just as good, since the goal of the rule was soley a cost saving benefit of pads, right? Or has the concensus changed now that we've had a season or so with them that the big brakes/4 pots are really that good? Just trying to see what I need to save for next.

I just prefer the reliability of aftermarket calipers to OEM calipers. Also, pad pricing is a lot cheaper, if you get the right calipers. Wilwoods = cheap, Brembos = not cheap.

Mark

In many cases, "release" is a functionality of the pad compound being used. Some compounds "release" better than others, so before swapping calipers, it might be worthwhile changing compounds.

Just a thought.

FWIW - I love my StopTech's. Don's equipment is outstanding, and the much lower initial cost is a huge help for many on a tighter budget than StopTech's. But, if you have the ability, there is no doubt....they work incredible.

Good idea Adam.

When I purchased the 55 car from Tony he was running the Carbotech XP10's and I changed to the PFC01's because they had more bite when you first apply the brakes and they take way less pedal pressure. I liked the PFC's better than the XP10's running the PBR's. With the Wilwood FSL's the XP10's could be the ticket.

JJ

Gary, I love the 4-pots (I run StopTechs) mainly b/c of the cost savings in parts and better maintenance.

With the Cobra brakes I was going through two sets of rotors / year and 2-3 sets of pads / year. I now expect to get "many" seasons out of my rotors and almost a full season out of a set of pads.

I have 7 total events on the brakes and the rotors still look great. I also got 5 events on my first set of pads and now have them as my spares (still have a little life left).

The performance modulation is better but to me the main benefit is the excellent wear, or lack of wear.