Mustang tranny 5th gear upgrade

redsnake08

Hey does anyone no if there is a company making a non overdrive 5th gear for the t-45? something like a .82

I have been looking but havent been able to find one for my t45. If you locate a place please post as I would be interested as well.

All Trans Parts Might have what your looking for. They have made new gears for me for a toploader. About 300 each. 1-800-237-8601 or 1-503-286-2200. Good luck.

Tony, at Astro Performance is THE guy to call. Great to work with, very supportive of NASA drivers.

He set me up with a real racing 5th for my Tremec.

(866) 253-0019

He's in Florida.

http://www.astroperformance.com

-chris

They don't (or didn't) do any work on the T-45 or TR-3650.

But I did dig up the info in an old email:

Liberty's High Performance

Taylor Michigan

Brad

313-278-4040

[email protected]

For a 3650 or T45 cost would be around $675.

Do they do a rebuild when they go in or is that just for the 5th gear?

Thanks for looking up the info. I am trying to decide whether or not to go to a TKO or not when my tranny finally lets go or stick with the t45.

John, my guess is that price is just for the 5th gear.

This is one of the reasons Jeremy and Jerry both did the T5 conversion.

I'd do alot of research before you decide to stick w/ the T45, go T5, TKO, or whatever. Eash trans has its strength and weakensses regarding build cost, durability, weight, etc.

I have a Tremec 3550. A racing 5th gear is NOT just a gear; you have to pull / break down the entire transmission. I'm sure I won't be saying this correctly, but the 5th gear is part of the shaft.

Michael is correct about most folks going with the T5. My 3550 weighs probably 30 pounds more than a T5, but on the other hand, I have beat the crap out of my 3550 for 6 years, and it does not break. There are always tradeoffs.

-chris

I am just curious how many guys actually use 5th? I know that none of the GM guys I know ever use it, so why go to all that trouble?

Is this just a Ford deal or am I doing it wrong?

At TWS the guys use fifth gear and I believe at ECR as well. I had to hang fourth all the way down the main straight at TWS and modulate my RPMs since my fifth gear drops the engine way out of the power band. With as close as the racing is you cant really afford not to have it. I dont have the money to do anything about it now but I want to be well informed when I have to do transmission work in the future.

The difference between the GM 3.42 rear gear and the Ford 3.55 rear gear is the reason Fords must use 5th at TWS and GMs can get away w/ not doing it. Now that I'm at CMC 2 power, I hitting the limiter before the braking zone of T1 in 4th. I need to use 5th, but I'm not used to making the 5th-4th downshift.

TWS is the only track I've needed to use 5th at. I don't at Mid Ohio and I don't at Miller.

Glenn, what is your rev limit? Don't mod motors rev quite a bit higher than an lt1? Your point about tws is a good one as the op will prolly never run there.

I thought it was at 62XX, but after watching it like a hawk this past Sunday, it appears to be closer to 6000. It is whatever a stock LT1 is set at. LS1's are 6250 and that is fact.

We had some conversation about the stock rev limiter this past weekend.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564855

The stock rev limiter settings depends on your tranny type (which we don't know because you haven't set up a "signature"). For the M6' date=' the stock settings are 5,886 rpm in 1st gear, and 5,808 rpm in 2nd-6th.[/quote']

I have a 3.73 rear gear and I'm on the rev limiter in 4th at S/F at TWS.

At stock power levels, 5th gear with a 3.42 can't accelerate much more. With a 3.73 in 5th, I gain 5-600 RPMs

We had some conversation about the stock rev limiter this past weekend.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564855

The stock rev limiter settings depends on your tranny type (which we don't know because you haven't set up a "signature"). For the M6' date=' the stock settings are 5,886 rpm in 1st gear, and 5,808 rpm in 2nd-6th.[/quote']

I have a 3.73 rear gear and I'm on the rev limiter in 4th at S/F at TWS.

At stock power levels, 5th gear with a 3.42 can't accelerate much more. With a 3.73 in 5th, I gain 5-600 RPMs

I disagree w/ the different rpm limits in 1st vs. 2nd - 6th. How does any T-56 report the gear its in to the PCM?

I disagree w/ the different rpm limits in 1st vs. 2nd - 6th. How does any T-56 report the gear its in to the PCM?

No idea, but it'd be easy to do with the VSS. I can't see why they would limit it only 80 RPM vs. other gears though.

I have a Tremec 3550. A racing 5th gear is NOT just a gear; you have to pull / break down the entire transmission. I'm sure I won't be saying this correctly, but the 5th gear is part of the shaft.

Michael is correct about most folks going with the T5. My 3550 weighs probably 30 pounds more than a T5, but on the other hand, I have beat the crap out of my 3550 for 6 years, and it does not break. There are always tradeoffs.

-chris

I'm with ya Chris, I've run my 3550 for 5.5 years and I bet I would have gone through 3 T5's by now with the way I shift. The 5th gear conversion (with new shaft) was about $500.

I'm pulling the trans before Hallett to freshen it up and put in new blocker rings but all in all it has been amazing.

TWS is the only track I've needed to use 5th at. I don't at Mid Ohio and I don't at Miller.

Vs the Mustangs with 3.73 rears. 5th at MidO and Miller are a nice option. Or you float the rev limiter at 6250ish in 4th for about 100 yards.

Vs the Mustangs with 3.73 rears. 5th at MidO and Miller are a nice option. Or you float the rev limiter at 6250ish in 4th for about 100 yards.

Mid Ohio: or Mustangs with 3.55. I absolutely needed the racing 5th at that track, on the "back" straight.

-chris

• 3 weeks later...
My 3550 weighs probably 30 pounds more than a T5

Per an old brochure from Tremec that I keep around for some reason:

T-45 - 109 lbs integral bellhousing, info from website

TR-3550 - 100 lbs separate bellhousing, info from website

T-5 (Mustang, Camaro V6, and aftermarket) - 75 lbs separate bellhousing

TKO (500 and 600) - 99 lbs brochure, 105 lbs website separate bellhousing

TR-3650 (2004 Mustang) - 120 lbs integral bellhousing

TR-3650 (2005 Mustang) - 123 lbs integral bellhousing

T-56 (Mustang, F-body, and aftermarket) - 122 lbs integral bellhousing

T-56 (C5 Corvette) - 119 lbs hell if I know what the bellhousing looks like

They might have more information on their website.

Mark

Edited by Guest