New car in the works

K Shaw

Well boys and girls its time to get back into the game.

Brought home a 84 mustang and the deconstruction has begun.

Going to run the carbed 302 so I may be asking some of you carbed guys a few questions.

The goal is to finish in front of #71 every june and then start chasing the Texas boys.

Pics to come later.

later

kyle

Use the stock, Duraspark ignition - it's cheap, plentiful, and easy to wire. Ask for a distributor for a 1985 Mustang GT 5-speed (it's got the correct gear for a roller cam). Use the stock Duraspark box, and keep a spare of each. Total cost for all four pieces - 2 distributors @ $70 each, and 2 boxes @ $34 each. If you can find a core(s) for the distributor(s), you can knock off another $40 ($20 per core).

Also, try to locate an original 85 GT aircleaner assembly, with the factory snorkels. They are the most effective unit to use, and not overly expensive (depending on where you find them). Use stock, replacement Fram air filters ($5-$7 a piece...CHEAP!!!), change at the start of every season.

You'll likely find, after completing the engine and dyno'ing it, that you may be a bit down on torque. Don't fret - gear up a tad (3.73's are an excellent gear for ALL the TX tracks), drive it's strengths, protect where it's weak.

Look into a set of GT40P heads (instead of the regular GT40's), as they are more plentiful, less expensive, and from what I'm reading, will EASILY make the HP numbers.

FWIW, I'll know what a fully completed CMC2 Ford 302 carbed engine (GT40 heads, B-cam, roller rockers, 7521 manifold, headers, etc) makes in another month or so. I'll post up numbers when it's finished.

If you have any questions, ask away. There aren't many Ford carbed cars in CMC/CMC2.

BTW - congrats.

Brakes, dont forget how to treat the brakes.

Will it be overweight and way underpowered...like 5000 pounds and 123hp?

If I didnt say it Rich would.

Brakes, dont forget how to treat the brakes.

Will it be overweight and way underpowered...like 5000 pounds and 123hp?

If I didnt say it Rich would.

You two are still mad that I NEVER made contact with anyone and STILL spanked both of ya in a COMPLETELY stock 91 TBI camaro RS.

Oh wait it did have a really cool chrome HOLLEY air cleaner on it and cut factory Z28 srpings.

kyle

Thanks Adam.

The car is/was a EFI 4cyl (turbo gt) so I will need to do some wiring and fuel system work.

kyle

I need a motor and a bellhousing. Anyone got one they want to let go for cheap?

Actually I need every thing.

kyle

Uh Oh. There's gonna be a poop-storm over at FEP if they find out you're transplanting a V8 and turning it into a race car.

Yeah well I think that most of the guys at FEP would just give up on this car. The subframe is bent, the radiator core support is bent and someone cut the mounting holes for the seats out of it not including the title issue's and all of the missing parts and the locked up rusted short block.

kyle

Hey Kyle glad to hear you picked CMC. The best racing in NASA.

Thanks dude. I am returning to CMC. Raced CMC a few years back in the RM region.

kyle

The subframe is bent, the radiator core support is bent and someone cut the mounting holes for the seats out of it not including the title issue's and all of the missing parts and the locked up rusted short block.

Holy Crap.

Already found a K member and the radiator support is only 140.00 from 5.0resto. I have the spot weld cutters just need to find someone with a spot welder.

Not that big of a deal.

kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you pick up extra spots at the store when you're ready to weld.

Nothing's worse than at 2 am realizing you've run out of spots, and still have more welding to do.

That TurdboGT is totaly restorable you hack. I can't beleive you're gonna hack up a piece of Fox history. Well, it's a piece of something anyway.

Oh, and infront of #71... yea, bring it. I just gotta tweak a couple of things, like the frame, and I'm back out!

• 4 weeks later...

You are sooo going down. Missed you at Hallett punk. You could have came out and had a few drinks with the dudes.

kyle

No doubt Rich will. That dude has a money tree in the back yard and he desnt like to share.

Dave you rock. Good job driving the wheels off that basicly stock 86 mustang.

kyle

Well boys and girls its time to get back into the game.

Brought home a 84 mustang and the deconstruction has begun.

If you're near Austin and want some help, I'm happy to volunteer.

I am in round rock. Just up the street from you.

kyle

OK. Let me know when.

Also, have you done a racing budget? I wanted to put that together so I know what I'm up against. Things like tires (how many races do they last, brakes (same), entry fees, reserve for rebuilds/repairs. That kind of thing.

As far as budget is concerned yes and no. It depends on chassis, brakes, driver and how fast/competitive you are.

I had purchased used worn out tires in the past and ran them to the cords. Brake pads will depend on brakes and driver. Fuel will depend on car/driver and how many races that weekend. Fuel to the track depends on your tow pig and diesel or gas. I usually slpet at the track in my buds enclosed trailer.

Swing on by and we can discuss.

Oh and I am a cheap bastard so my racing budget and car building budget may be lower than most.

kyle

I am in round rock. Just up the street from you.

kyle

OK. Let me know when.

Also, have you done a racing budget? I wanted to put that together so I know what I'm up against. Things like tires (how many races do they last, brakes (same), entry fees, reserve for rebuilds/repairs. That kind of thing.

I can go a season (6 weekends) on 6 tires. Of course, you can flat spot one or cut one hitting a curb. I'm not counting damaged tires. But rotating and flipping the RA1s make them last a long time.

I use 1 set of rear brake pads (Carbotech XP8) a season and two sets of fronts (Carbotech XP10).

I replace the rotors once a year. I bought lifetime waranty rotors from O'Reilly's, but I stopped taking advantage of that. Guilty, I guess.

I'll use about 20-25 gallons of fuel in a weekend.

I use AmsOil and change it once a year. I change the filter twice a year.

I replaced an alternator and a radiator. Alternator was because I burned up the voltage regulator with a cold solder joint and the radiator because I mounted the fan right against the radiator cooling fins and the fan loosened and wore a hole in a tube.

I replaced the front hub assemblies twice as a PM, not because of anything performance wise.

And that's about it, actually.

I budget $5K a year to cover consumeables, travel and registration. I usually have some left for upgrades or changes.

How do you change the filter without changing the oil?

How do you change the filter without changing the oil?

Unscrew it, fill a new one with oil and screw it back on.