Toyo the official tire through 2015!!

Al F.

• Members

This morning NASA announded Toyo will be the official tire for NASA classes with a spec tire (including CMC and AI) through 2015. Full details here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/2011/12/toyo-tires-will-continue-as-th.html

I am psyched to see the payout schedule has been changed to recognize classes with more entries, rewarding fewer bigger classes. For classes with 19+ cars (very realistic for CMC!) the winner gets $300 and drivers through 14th place get something! Awesome stuff.

Al -

The way I read it, with at least 9 entrants, the following positions are paid:

1st through 5th

10th through 14th

6th through 9th do not receive anything.

Toyo's support of the deeper fields is something we all asked for, and it's great to see it come to fruition.

-chris

Al -

1st through 5th

10th through 14th

Toyo's support of the deeper fields is something we all asked for, and it's great to see it come to fruition.

-chris

im going to have to agree with that. But at least it is a little better.

Al -

1st through 5th

10th through 14th

-chris

Actually you're right, but it applies to any field size. The columns are:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 10th-14th

LOL

The gap was by design. The thought is that in that large of a field the cars running 6th - 9th have a decent shot at placing "in the $$" on occasion.

We've been asking for a long time that Toyo support the mid-pack racers that buy a lot of tires, finish mid-pack/back end to receive nothing but a tire bill. Now those racers are effectively receiving rebates just by participating - good stuff!

The gap was by design. The thought is that in that large of a field the cars running 6th - 9th have a decent shot at placing "in the $$" on occasion.

We've been asking for a long time that Toyo support the mid-pack racers that buy a lot of tires, finish mid-pack/back end to receive nothing but a tire bill. Now those racers are effectively receiving rebates just by participating - good stuff!

Wow. I was sure that the original post was a misprint. As Bob Denton suggested, I guess TOYO has adopted the government's approach to things. Welcome to the Doughnut.

Wow. I was sure that the original post was a misprint. As Bob Denton suggested, I guess TOYO has adopted the government's approach to things. Welcome to the Doughnut.

Sorry, but that's just silly. I think this approach to contingencies is fantastic. Rewarding the mid-packers is a really smart thing to do in a series like CMC.

-chris

I agree. Must have been set-up by a Democrat.

I don't like it at all. I only want what I earned and I don't want what I earned to go to someone else. What's next, we don't keep score. Give everyone a medal? In Texas it's really hard to get into the top five when all the fast guys show up. Like at Hallett (lots of fast guys) I come in sixth in the first race. I should get nothing for that but the guy that finishes four and eight places behind me gets tire money?

I can see guys fighting to get back to the back of the pack (if they are not in the top five) trying to get to the tire money.

JJ

I'm scratching my heads on this one. I mean, really? I guess we can see how it pans out, but honestly, I think this is pretty goofy. I'd think it'd be better to do like Spec944 and combine all the Toyo bucks and split them between all drivers(in each race) if you wanted to make sure everyone got help with tires.

I guess I know what I will do If I am in 5th place on the last lap.

Me to. As a guy with no chance at winning the championship if I'm behind 5th I'm dropping back into the money.

This is really dumb. I can see guys fighting to get back to where the money is.

JJ

Throwing away your position just to get $50 in Toyo money, and thereby throwing points for the season championship down the toilet, is, IMO, not just a poor idea, but is unsportsmanlike. It's sandbagging, any way you look at it.

The new Toyo contingency is significantly better than it was before, paying deeper into the field, and higher payouts for larger fields.

Throwing away your position just to get $50 in Toyo money, and thereby throwing points for the season championship down the toilet, is, IMO, not just a poor idea, but is unsportsmanlike. It's sandbagging, any way you look at it.

Agreed, but considering that most of the field have no chance at the championship (mathmatically, since most people will miss more races than drops allowed), isn't going to be a big factor.

I know I've had suspicion before of a driver (who only showed up for one race weekend that year, so points didn't matter) pitting early after he lost touch with the leaders due to an off. So on the next invert, he was on pole, instead of behind us slow guys. Gapped the usual faster guys and mid pack guys. He got the win for a non Toyo bucks race.

While I'd love to see us really slow guys get toyo money just for participating, I'd rather earn it.

Regardless, I'm still stoked about Toyo paying deeper into the field.

But it will still happen....

It's going to happen. Most of us have no chance of winning a championship. I don't even think about points. I never even looked at the points post Glenn made this year. I know Michael won the title but I have no idea who is below second or what place my team finished. It's not important to me and I'm guessing it's not to most of the mid to back markers.

JJ

I agree. Must have been set-up by a Democrat.

I don't like it at all. I only want what I earned and I don't want what I earned to go to someone else. What's next, we don't keep score. Give everyone a medal? In Texas it's really hard to get into the top five when all the fast guys show up. Like at Hallett (lots of fast guys) I come in sixth in the first race. I should get nothing for that but the guy that finishes four and eight places behind me gets tire money?

I can see guys fighting to get back to the back of the pack (if they are not in the top five) trying to get to the tire money.

JJ

Obama determined the mid pack slackers are the millionaires and billionaires. Bet they tried to force NASA to charge the slackers more for entry fees, too! Why don't we just give the last three finishers free entry to the next race or make the rest of the field buy them a set of tires?

Seriously though I get what they are trying to do and its a nice gesture. But people are going to be diving into the pits on the last lap or giving point by's because they would like to get a little money instead of finish in 7th. That lower finish then helps them out on the invert like Gary said-great advice as usual.

"I'll take 12th place for $50 dollars Alex"

Another point, to enforce something Adam said ... most people don't want to sandbag and be unsportmanlike. I repsect how my fellow racers view me. Consider now if a driver feels the need to end his/her race early due to a mechanical or 'something ain't quite right' issue, or give point bys because their tires are shot or brakes are gone near the end of the race. It's going to raise some eyebrows.

Nice gesture for sure, but I didn't get to the top of the pyramid of speed to expect handouts for doing poorly.

• Members

Guys, lets not take things down the wrong path. No matter what, the Toyo contingency has increased by quite a bit. To use Texas as an example, in 2011 Texas CMC was elligible for $4,800. Using the new formula Texas CMC would've been elligible for $8,550 with 17% of the races in the 19+ category and 67% of the races in the 9-18 category. Thats twice as much money going to (likely) twice as many drivers.

Not only that...our previous program encouraged many small classes. This program rewards fewer big classes (lets hear it for one CMC!)

You dont have to be a fan of the fact that the guys in 6th-9th get nothing but the guys in 10th-14th do. Thats the program, and even if you dont like this you have to like the top five getting two to three times as much as they did this year if you have 19+ cars right?

As for sandbagging in order to get those toyo bucks...I think that goes against the whole mentality of ammateur racing. We're here to race. If $50 in toyo bucks makes a difference just think how much money not running the race would save. That said, I would encourage you to offer your feedback directly to Jeremy Croisset, as he's the lead on the Toyo program for NASA.

Thats twice as much money going to (likely) twice as many drivers.
Which IS good.

As for sandbagging in order to get those toyo bucks...I think that goes against the whole mentality of ammateur racing. We're here to race.
Why is fully leveraging every other rule 'good sportsmanship' but not this one? Everybody is here to 'race' on their terms; I have a cheap car with almost no development and very little experience compared to a lot of guys; so you're telling me that even though I'll not even make enough races to win the Big Enchilada, it's sandbagging to walk away with a little contingency?

That said, I would encourage you to offer your feedback directly to Jeremy Croisset, as he's the lead on the Toyo program for NASA.
OK