• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• CMC#11

• MHISSTC

• wheelhopper

I'm just looking at the data on the graph tab.

Not sure why you think I'm focused on either. I've made no comment other than posting the data here.

Should have added Al's explanation of "how to read the data".

The spreadsheet contains data from all of our straight up races (not the inverts) this year. Instead of lap time, there is a calculated % of best lap time in that session. So, for example, if the best lap time in that session was 2:00.00 and on lap 1 the time was 2:01.20 the calculated number is 101%. The thought being that if a car is losing performance over the course of the session, then this % would increase (more or less) each lap. By doing it using % we can more easily look at all sessions at the same time. Also, I dropped anything over 103 since that is too big a gain in time to be attributable to tires going away. Thats more like going off! lol Anyway, have a look and see what you think. I'll save my conclusions for a bit...

• 1 month later...

Here's what I said about my Fox earlier this Summer.

The car had been understeering, plowing into turns this first season. The front had very little grip..............The car's handling became extreme the opposite way. Oversteer. The car was doing 360s in a flash. Basically undriveable.

And....here's a video from this past weekend at Mid-Ohio. Not a great lap but shows the car has really improved from my comments in earlier posts. At the start of the season it would have plowed off the track and by July it would be spinning in circles with oversteer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQzGCqqmXE

Now it should be at a good starting point for next season. Among a million other things it needs, first it's going to get a 3.73 gear and new diff.

Tom P , can you sum up all your changes and what was your final set up that worked?

I am in the same process looking for the best set up but have had motor issues that has took most of my time. Once I get past that I will get back on the set-up.

Tom P , can you sum up all your changes and what was your final set up that worked?

Front:

SN95 spindles/control arms.

Adjustable camber/castor plates.

Camber @ 3 degrees.

900 pound springs

Track width @ 71 1/4".

OEM 1990 GT sway bar.

Tokico Illunias, firm setting.

Rear:

Maximum Motorsports lower control arms.

FRPP upper control arms.

Maximum Motorsports Panhard bar.

200 pound springs

No sway bar.

Track width @ 69 1/2".

Tokico Illuminas, soft setting.

Tire Pressures:

32 /29 (front / rear.

For me, the above settings make the car feel more neutral and lessened the extreme handling characteristics it was exhibiting before. It's a lot of fun to drive.

I thought we weren't allowed to change rear upper Control arms?

If they are the Ford Racing M-5500-A, then they are an OEM replacement part that has the higher durometer (stiffer) rubber bushings. Officially they are no longer available from even places like Summit Racing, but you may still be able to find them some places.

Steeda formerly sold what I think was a rebranded Ford Racing product, but they no longer list it since the Ford Racing product has been discontinued.

MM has identical units that replace the obsolete Ford Racing units HERE.

What you can't use are fabricated adjustable or non-adjustable units like THESE or THESE.

IMO, "no" because they are not an OEM or OEM equivalent due to the welded element and also not being a fully stamped steel piece with a rubber bushing contained within a metal shell that is pressed into the arm like the OEM, Ford Racing, MM equivalent to the Ford Racing unit, or the former Steeda branded unit. But I am also not a Regional or National Director and can't make the final call on legality in the series.

Legality aside, you don't want upper control arms with poly bushings anyway. They will bind and overstress the mounting locations on the body. I also noticed the item is an upper control arm, but the description is for the lower control arms. I tend to not buy items or items from vendors who can't exercise enough care to get the description correct.

If torque arms were permitted on the Fords equipped with the quadrabind suspensions no one would have to worry about finding obsolete UCA's...

Sorry... couldn't resist.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to go back a ways to find my last post.

I figured I would give an update, since I started the thread. My goal at last post was to run in the 1.27 range at Summit. I am doing this pretty cosistently now, and dipping into the 1.26s. Doing this on tires that are over a year old and have lots of heat cycles. I am sliding around pretty bad in turns 6 and 7. I am going to make a few changes for next year.

remove rear sway bar and go to a softer, tubular, front sway bar. I need to get rid of some weight. I have been keeping the Konis on full stiff for rebound and compression is nearly full stiff. I doubt I'll ever buy a set of adjustable struts/shocks again. I'll just get some race valve Bilsteins and eliminate all the adjustment hassle.

Over all I am very happy with the way the car handles. The last couple events I felt like my oversteer was coming back, that I had previously eliminated. I am contributing that to having old tires. I was also running 2 different brands in the rear since I flat spotted one of the 4 matching tires I had. Next year shooting for 1.25s.