98-04 Mustang guys - inside please!

Glenn

I'll keep to meyself for a bit longer so as to not influence the general population.

There may be a simple fix for the 1-2 folks who may be having a problem. Time will tell.

Lots of internet forums say it started in late 98.

No facts.

I can't give you any Ford documents that show the exact date, or MY where they went to the returnless fuel system. That's nearly impossible.

Due to that, I went to the best source possible - a former engineer that actually worked on the Mustang during that time frame. The choice of credibility is yours to decide.

Remember - the '99 MY Mustang was released late in the '98 calendar year, which is when most manufacturers release new MY vehicles. So, a 1998 MY Mustang would have been released in late 1997.

• 4 months later...

I've got a 01 GT that was a Bondurant car. I drive it in HPDE, and maybe in a couple of years I will enter it in CMC. The car was a returnless car converted to return style with oem fuel rails because of the fuel cell. Would that disqualify it?

The a/f fuel on mine is a problem. Very lean. 14:1. With stock headers, k&n intake, steeda pullys, accufab upper plenum I am 232 rwhp. No way to adjust the fuel pressure. Everyone tells me to tune it to increase the injector pulse width so I can get to a reasonable a/f ratio. I'm afraid I'm going to crack a piston in my current trim.

I'm thinking coilovers and a 4v motor, or a kenne bell supercharger on my current setup. If the car could run in CMC, I may do longtubes and a spring upgrade instead. Any thoughts?

profilepic35237_1.gif

I think a closer reading of the rule book might be in order.

No super charger

No tuning

No coil overs

No long tubes

I dont think that upper plenum is legal.

Fuel lines are open.

Spring upgrade is ok

Check your o2s to make sure they are working. There should be other reasons why you are lean. I just dont understand why they made it a return system just because of the fuel cell.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Also check for exaust leaks before the O2 sensors. Any extra oxygen introduced into the exhaust system can fool the sensors and change the fuel curve.

I know CMC doesn't allow supercharger/tuning/coilovers. That's why I don't want to go down that road now.

I didn't even mention my custom Bondurant torque arm

Shouldn't be hard to find a couple of stock UCA's from a junk yard.

My understanding is that O2's are only for open loop and they are fine. The computer just barely able to compensate and keep it a 14.7:1 The problem is that I'm lean closed loop at WOT.

I still have the stock plenum and can switch that out, probably doesn't do much anyway. 2V motors can use long tubes, correct? Probably the only way I will get close to 260 rwhp...

I guess the big thing is I can keep my return style system for better or worse?

I think a closer reading of the rule book might be in order.

No long tubes

Agreed. A closer reading of the rule book is definitely in order:

7.24 Exhaust

7.24.1 All cars must use OEM stock exhaust manifolds with the following exceptions:

1. Early GM 305 and Early Ford 5.0 cars may use shorty style headers

2. Ford 4.6 2V cars may use long tube headers.

I'm thinking coilovers and a 4v motor, or a kenne bell supercharger on my current setup. If the car could run in CMC, I may do longtubes and a spring upgrade instead. Any thoughts?

profilepic35237_1.gif

Thought he ment long tube headers on the 4v.