TT 2006 Rules Re: Displacement

marty f

Current rules add 7 points for increased displacement - regardless of the actual amount that displacement is increased. For example, a small block Ford with 318 CID gets the same 7 points that a 331 or 347 would receive. This seems unfair and could be replaced with a simple easily applied rule that adds 1 point for each 2% that the displacement is increased over the stock block dosplacement. Using the above example a Ford 302 engine taken to 318 would receive 3-pts, a 331 4-pts, and a 347 7-pts. Similarly (if my calcs are right) a Ford 351 taken to 396 would receive 6 pts, a Chevy 350 taken to 383 would receive 4 pts, a Honda B16A 1600cc engine taken to 1797cc would receive 6 pts, a Honda B18 1834 cc engine taken to 2L would receive 4 pts, and so on.

Since there is no feasible way to verify the honesty of internal engine mods, aftermarket diffs, etc. (tear downs are definitely not feasible for TT participants) having us list the actual displacement vs. checking off "increased displacement" would not seem to be a change to the overall TT approach - and a 2% rule is easily applied. What do you think?

In the spirit of full disclosure by Mustang has a 318 cid engine.

Marty Fabrick (TTB #107)

• National Staff

I think that your scheme doesn't have enough points for any of those engines listed.

However, you'll be pleased to hear that the first rough draft of the 2006 rules does differentiate increased displacement by % increase. I don't know if it will make it to the final version or not, though.

Greg - I'll agree that there are a variety of ways to determine a point score for various degrees of increased displacement. I used a benchmark of a Ford small block 302 taken out to a realistic maximum of 347 - and put forth a formula that would equate this to the current 7 point score for increased displacement. Interestingly, 7 points is the same as would be given for an engine swap to a 351 which is essentially the same result although I think the 351 block is about 75 lbs heavier than the 302. The same type of system could be used with a base of 1 or 2 points for any increased displacement plus additional points as the displacement increases - the same 2% rule. However in this case a 302 built out to a 347 would get more points than the 7 currently assigned.

I recognize that you and the other TT directors have the tough task of sorting though a wide range of mods - personally, I think the turbo guys don't get enough points for tweaking their systems to run higher boost!

Thanks for the endless time you spend on ideas like these and organizing a 'diverse' group of TT nuts! See you on the track in '06

• Members
what about a destroked motor... can we get points back for that?

Dude, you are ON the ball man!!!

I was gonna ask that because I know someone who is destroking his 2.0L to a 1.9L. Errr, he already did actually. (no, its not me.)

Also, you might want to clarify the rules to include standard overbores such as a 302 going to a 306 due to a standard .030" overbore in case it hasn't been mentioned yet. Personally, we just ignore motors that are built to their factory spec limits. 4ci is hardly work 7 points.

• National Staff
Also, you might want to clarify the rules to include standard overbores such as a 302 going to a 306 due to a standard .030" overbore in case it hasn't been mentioned yet.

I had already added that to the draft rules--we're on the same page on this one.

Also, you might want to clarify the rules to include standard overbores such as a 302 going to a 306 due to a standard .030" overbore in case it hasn't been mentioned yet.

I had already added that to the draft rules--we're on the same page on this one.

WERD!