NEW maxi-sized cheap Mustang wheels?

MHISSTC

My racing partner and I were browsing Discount Tire Direct and found MB Wheels has a couple 17" x 9.5" wheels available with a Mustang bolt pattern. Discount Tire Direct also has free shipping!!! The MB wheels also come with center caps. I'm not sure what the weights of the wheels are, but will try and get an answer from the on-line tech.

EDIT #1: I chatted with the customer service rep at Discount Tire. He wasn't able to give me the actual wheel weights, but he did give me the shipping weights of each of the wheels in the size listed above. "The MB Old School shows 22 lbs., Battle shows to be 28 lbs. and the Gasser shows 23 lbs.."

EDIT #2: Further web research shows the Old School and Gasser are both made by Voxx. Voxx has individual wheel weights for each size listed. The Old School is listed as 21 lbs and the Gasser is listed as 22.4 lbs.

The MB Battle is available in bronze and gray, has a 15mm offset, and is currently $169 each.

mbmbat.mbr.large.jpg

The MB Old School is available in gray or chrome, has a 6mm offset, and is currently only $135 each.

mbmos.glm.large.jpg

The BG Rod Works Gasser wheel is also a 17x9.5 wheel with a 6mm offset and is currently $149 each.

bgwgas.gmf.large.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MHISSTC

• suck fumes1548534743

• Dillon

• BADVENM

Great, the cats out of the bag on our super secret maxi-cheap wheels.

How long til an image of a cat out of a bag appears in this thread?

No, no, no. This thread is merely intended to give the impression that instead of concentrating on setup and seat time, big wheels and tires are the hot ticket to winning. All the fox and SN95 drivers are now encouraged to spend, spend, spend their money on new wheels and tires and the bodywork needed to accommodate them and then sell me their old tires, 16" wheels and narrower 17" wheels for pennies on the dollar, thereby keeping me in tires and wheels for the foreseeable future.

Unless I'm missing something, these aren't really new? Drifters have been running MB Battles and Weapons as a cheap, wide wheel for years 17x9 battles are around 25 lbs. if I remember right. They're high quality for the price. You might also check out Varrstoen wheels...not sure how much they weigh, but that's another relatively low-priced, wide wheel with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

You hit on the key differences right there... ...17x9 vs. 17x9.5, and affordable vs. non-affordable.

Maximizing wheel width within the CMC rules has historically been easier for the GM crowd than the Ford crowd as GM has always had wider OEM wheels than Ford, and that has been what the rules have been written to. And finding any affordable aftermarket 17x9.5 wheels that fit the 5x4.5" bolt pattern in the correct offset has, as far as I know, been impossible until very recently. And I'm not even sure the offset is right, either with or without spacers, since I haven't actually fit one of them on a car yet.

I checked on the VarrsToen Wheels website (nice picture ). The only wheel they have in a 17x9.5 is the ES220. They don't list any U.S. dealers and they don't list any wheel weights, but I did manage to find them on the ASpec Wheels site, in stock, for $200 each. They appear to be very similar to the MB Weapon except in a 6 spoke vs. a 7 spoke... ...which also looked somewhat similar to the discontinued MB Competition wheel that was a 5-spoke design.

VARRSTOEN_ES220_HYPER_BLACK1-228x228.jpg

Edited by Guest

^

You hit on the key differences right there... ...17x9 vs. 17x9.5, and affordable vs. non-affordable.

Maximizing wheel width within the CMC rules has historically been easier for the GM crowd than the Ford crowd as GM has always had wider OEM wheels than Ford, and that has been what the rules have been written to. And finding any affordable aftermarket 17x9.5 wheels that fit the 5x4.5" bolt pattern in the correct offset has, as far as I know, been impossible until very recently. And I'm not even sure the offset is right, either with or without spacers, since I haven't actually fit one of them on a car yet.

I checked on the VarrsToen Wheels website (nice picture ). The only wheel they have in a 17x9.5 is the ES220. They don't list any U.S. dealers and they don't list any wheel weights, but I did manage to find them on the ASpec Wheels site, in stock, for $200 each. They appear to be very similar to the MB Weapon except in a 6 spoke vs. a 7 spoke... ...which also looked somewhat similar to the discontinued MB Competition wheel that was a 5-spoke design.

Ah, I didn't realize VarrsToens are so hard to find. That's pretty expensive too. Out of curiosity what benefit does running a 1/2" wider wheel have if tire sizes and track width are regulated? (They are, aren't they?) I mean, a 275 fits on a 9" wheel fine, right? And if it's about track width lower offset wheels ought to be available for a decent price...but maybe not.

Out of curiosity what benefit does running a 1/2" wider wheel have if tire sizes and track width are regulated? (They are, aren't they?) I mean, a 275 fits on a 9" wheel fine, right? And if it's about track width lower offset wheels ought to be available for a decent price...but maybe not.

Yes, there are maximum allowed track widths, but it's not totally about that. Track width can be more effectively managed with wheel offset and spacers, but also depends in part on the overall width of the tire and wheel combination.

Visualize the extreme opposite condition of putting a 275 wide tire on a 6 inch wide wheel. The sidewalls are pinched in which effectively makes the tire narrower, causes the tread surface to become convex...which decreases the size of the contact patch and causes poor wear across the tread, and the sidewalls tend to flex back and forth more during cornering. All of that is bad. By maximizing the wheel size within the manufacturers stated limits, the width of the tire is maximized, the tread stays flatter, and the sidewalls stay more vertical. This reduces sidewall flex and maximizes the contact patch which should produce an increase in overall grip along with responsiveness and predictability in the tire.

However, that concept can be taken too far the other direction too:

normal_golf-5-tuning_282929.jpg

I've never heard of the product called Rim Ringz until I found them looking for example diagrams 5 minutes ago. I will say they have a good explanation of too wide vs. too narrow wheels along with cross sectional diagrams of the differences. Click the hyper-linked text to check it out.

How long til an image of a cat out of a bag appears in this thread?

Thanks for the hard work, suckers. I just ordered 12 of those wheels.

I'm comin for ya this weekend.

Signed.. Yer Nemesis

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming the front wheel pictured is the one you are referring to. How much would it cost and how much is it going to weigh? Just by looking at it I'm going to say it's too light and too expensive, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

559226_10151326494721258_1656174449_n.jpg

Did you hit something or go off to cause the wheel to break? Does the tire bulge enough to hurt performance on those 5zigen wheels since they only come in a 17x9in. ?

Did you hit something or go off to cause the wheel to break? Does the tire bulge enough to hurt performance on those 5zigen wheels since they only come in a 17x9in. ?

To be clear, I bought those rims, used, from an AI racer. We've all had offs from time to time, but I don't think he had been in an incident with them. And, they were on a heavy S197 chassis prior to my purchase.

While I had them, they had never been in an incident, didn't hit anything, but did have one or two offs. They had just been inspected a few days prior (something I ALWAYS do before each event), and there was nothing obvious. My inspection consists of washing the wheel, front and back, thoroughly, removing all rubber and dirt, and examining with a flashlight.

No bulging problems using a 275 and 17x9 rims.

FWIW, I raced on the same two sets of 16x8 MB Comps for ~5 years, had a few incidents, plenty of offs, and NEVER broke one. Ever.

As such, I'll stand by my comment - cheap, light, strong. Pick any two.

Got my 17x9.5 old school wheel a few days ago. Weighed it

today...20 pounds exactly, without center cap. Toyo 275 tire with

Some life still in it, 23.5 pounds.

Hope to test fit it within the next week.

To bad the MB's are no longer in production. They are a lot cheaper than the 5zigen's. Maybe it was a fluke that just one of yours broke? Who knows what kind of abuse the previous owner put them through. No one will ever remember or tell you everything or every incident involved with the products they are trying to sell.

How much do those weigh?

How much do those weigh?

I did more digging and the best I can find is 23lbs. I sent a couple of emails to different places to see if I can nail it down a little bit better.

Also in my search for more information on the ES220, I found ROTA makes a 17 x 9.5 with 12mm offset and 5x114.3 lug pattern

ROTA GRID-R

The American Racing Shelby Cobra wheels also comes in a 0mm and 12mm offset.

EDIT: Those Shelby Cobra wheels also come in a -6, -12, -32, 6, and 19mm offset, but are $350/each without tax or shipping.

A set of the ROTAs are about $940 without shipping.

Edited by Guest

This is something I found out on that thing they call the internet, not sure if the data is correct but I have used it a number of time when Shopping for rims.

Sorry I cannot take credit for the data but I hope you find it useful when it comes to Mustang wheels.

If you know a value is not correct please let me know and I will update the post.

Wheels and weight

95 COBRA R Replica

95 Cobra R (Black) 17x9 - 28lbs (22.3)

AFS 95 Cobra R (Chrome) 17x9 - 24lbs

-----------------------------------------------------------

03 COBRA Replica

AFS 03 Cobras (Chrome) 17x9 - 29lbs

BULLITTS Replica

Bullitt satin 17x8 - 28lbs

FR500 Replica

FR500 (Chrome) 17x9 - 27lbs

STEEDA

Steeda Ultralights (Satin) 17x9 - 21.5lbs (23.

Steeda Ultralights (Chrome) 17x9 - 24lbs

FORD OEM, FORD MOTORSPORTS, OR SVT (pretty much the same)

SVT - Bullitt (Silver) 17x8 = 23lbs

SVT - Bullitt (Chrome) 17x8 = 24lbs

SVT - Bullitt (Black) 17x8 = 22lbs

SVT - Bullitt (Anthracite) 17x8 = 22lbs

SVT - 97 Cobra (Chrome) 17x8 = 22.5lbs

SVT - 98 Cobra (Silver) 17x8 = 21.5lbs

SVT - 99 Cobra (Silver) 17x8 = 22.5lbs

SVT - 99 Cobra (Polished) 17x8 = 22.5lbs

SVT - 04 Cobra 10th Anniversary (Light Grey) 17x9 = 23.8lbs

SVT - 03 Cobra (Satin) 17x9 - 25.5lbs

FORD OEM - 99 GT (Satin) 17x8 - 22lbs

FORD OEM - 03 Mach 1 - 25lbs

Shelby Wheels

Torq-Thrust M (Chrome) 17x8 = 21.5lbs

Torq-Thrust M (Chrome) 17x9 = 23.5lbs

Torq-Thrust M (Black) 17x8 = 21lbs

Torq-Thrust M (Black) 17x9 = 22.6lbs

Torq-Thrust M (Anthracite) 17x8 = 21lbs

Torq-Thrust M (Anthracite) 17x9 = 22.6lbs

OTHER

Konig Villain 17x9 - 21lbs

Motegi Track Touge (Anthracite) 17x9 = 24lbs

Motegi Track Touge (Black) 17x9 = 24lbs

Edited by Guest

I have a hardcopy version of that list also. Most of the weights are pretty close.

If you wouldn't mind, please remove all of the wheels that don't apply, like all of the ones bigger than 17" in diameter and wider than 9.5".

Some of those wheels on the list are obsolete and there are now other new ones available. I was concentrating my search efforts on the 17x9.5 wheels since that is the largest size allowed.

On a related note...

We found today the MB Old Schools will work on the Mustang with Cobra disc brakes on the rear, but will not work on the front with Cobra Calipers and 12" rotors because they interfere with the more straight "spokes" of the wheel. Using the brakes in a 13" configuration would gain us a little room because we could remove the small spacer between the caliper and the spindle mounting ears that we are currently using with the Crown Vic rotors. We could get them to just clear the caliper if we put on a 12mm (1/2") spacer on the front. Unfortunately, since the wheels are only available in a 6mm offset to begin with, it then pushes our track width out further than the maximum allowed in the rules.

So, it looks like we will be going with the MB Battles after all with a combination of different spacers.

We took lots of pictures and lots of measurements again today with the MB old school wheels that will show you what it looks like to be very close to the maximum track width in the rear. I'll get some of that posted up here a bit later.

brief update:

The MB Battle is still looking like it's going to become our wheel of choice as it offers the best set of compromises.

I haven't gotten around to posting pictures of what the max width looks like on the rear of a fox yet.

I did get a response from the VarrsToen Wheel folks in Europe. They forwarded my inquiries to the American office and I haven't heard anything since.

I have found a couple more possibilities, but before I posted them I wanted to try and verify fitment and other specs. So far, no wheel manufacturer or seller has responded to my inquiries regarding wheel weight, profile diagrams, or any other specs beyond the minimal information already published on the various web sites. I can't even get images of the back side of the wheels.

This is frustrating to say the least.

I'm beginning to think if you can find a 17x9.5 wheel in a 5x114.3 bolt pattern that weighs less than 25 lbs and actually fits around a disc brake caliper for $200 or less you qualify as a super hero. If you can find one around a $150 or less, you are a demi-god.

GM guys should thank their lucky stars the rules were written the way they are. Without a single problem a person can find a set of four 17x9.5 Corvette or Camaro replica wheels like THESE in their choice of finish, shipped to their door for between $500-$600.

oe-vette-c6-g-rt-f-2ps.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a set of MB Battles yesterday afternoon...17x9.5. Weighed one this morning...23 pounds.

Discount Tire direct has them at $169 a piece plus $3 for the valve stem. When you order 4 they subtract $50 off the price so the total price was $638. I think I also get a $30 gift card for something.