CMC Wing Development - Am I Nuts? (likely)

Smike

Wow......

Your just too smart for me.

And this is where it's supposed to turn ugly, stupid and personnel

"Punch me out goose"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• D Algozine

• Smike

• MHISSTC

So you guys bitch this much at the track? I hope not.

In my opinion the wings themselves aren't expensive, it's the testing that goes into them that runs the price up.

Whatever, I have a Blainfab spoiler in my 4th gen. It's simple, it's expensive, and it looks awesome. Everyone who wants rear downforce should get one and be done with it.

Very far from it. In Texas the CMC group is really tight like it is elsewhere with alot of fun off track. Much more fun to discuss rules issues late into the night.

Don't worry about people posting issues with the rules-that is always going to happen. It's like laws and our govt.-I don't like all of them but I have to follow them and there is always going to be people upset. Stay here long enough and you will get to see the recurring theme about issues with rules from certain individuals which is what we have here.

Back on topic-the Blainefab spoiler is an excellent example of something that meets ALL the rules. The problem is people come in here with all sorts of different backgrounds and skillsets. Contrary to what was said in an earlier post this isn't a homebrew/builders class (go to AI for that). So for someone like myself who has zero fabricating skills the rules have made it so that the only wing allowed is one that even myself can install for under $700. I can't go buy a used wing for $699 that retails for $1,600. Nor can I go hire someone to lay down some carbon fiber to copy one of the hundreds in the paddock and claim I did it myself for under $700 in materials and any dimwit racing CMC should be able to make it themselves. The rules are also there to make sure I don't (or have a friend) go into business and sell something like maybe an Alcon caliper or wing for under the threshold but only sell 10 sets of them to people that are slower than me then stop selling them. Believe me-it can be done with suppliers who are happy to build you a part and give an invoice showing that you paid under the threshold.

Wow......

"Punch me out goose"

Long answer then.

I know you’re not building a sailboat, powered aircraft, or a wind turbine, but thanks for clearing that up in case I was confused.

The point of that chart was to show the significant number of airfoil shapes there are, contrary to your opinion that there is only a few (or one). This was a simple picture that popped up on Google Image. Even in those industries, there is no "basic and similar design". Why would motorsports be any different? In case you’re not smarter than me - it isn't. So if there is no significant difference (very subjective), then why all the different shapes? It must mean that each shape provides a pro and con when used. A balance between downforce needed and drag created.

But back on you being offended.

It wasn't enough for you that I provide a pic, a link, and some universal tech. Since it wasn't 100% related to this wing debate, you felt it was invald for the topic at hand. I didn't spoon feed you answers, so therefore nothing I provided was relevant. How about you contribute something to this topic other than you not understanding? You have made claims that the wing design is very limited in motorsports.... prove it. Forgive me if I don't just take your word for it.

At this point I'll back any wing you want to run. I'll also pay the protest fee for anyone who thinks your wing is not legal.

The rule is pretty clear. Its pretty simple. Wade into the deep end of the pool as much as you dare.

Sailplanes are gliders (airplanes without engines), not sailboats.

Just sayin'

I don't know... those new America's Cup boats have great big wings, er, sails.

Trust me, those are glider airfoils. I fly the things. Those sailboats do have airfoils for sails though. Look how similar the shapes are to the powered aircraft airfoils. Just thinner.

Race car wings would use an airplane airfoil, just turned upside down. Spoilers are simple. Just look at the top of the wings of airliners on landing. Big pieces of metal that stick up. Very simple and very effective.

Aviation lecture over...

Wow......

"Punch me out goose"

Ugly

I didn't spoon feed you answers, so therefore nothing I provided was relevant

Stupid

Stay here long enough and you will get to see the recurring theme about issues with rules from certain individuals which is what we have here.

Personnel:

I'll also pay the protest fee for anyone who thinks your wing is not legal. Wade into the deep end of the pool as much as you dare.

Three for three, I knew it was coming.