2012 RCR #15 Allow drain/fill plugs on diff cover

MHISSTC

...but nearly everyone of those TYPES of new recruits, have an existing car, and I would bet that in most cases, those cars are already built beyond the CMC rules.

While I agree with most of your thoughts and threads Dave, this statement is not true. Most of the people who ask about CMC racing are looking to either build from scratch or buy a current CMC car. I'm not saying the SCCA or AI cross overs don't exists, but I haven't seen anyone dumb down a race car to CMC specs, except maybe Jon Cece's 4th gen. I don't think his car needed any change but power restriction and minor suspension mods anyway. No seem welding, etc, that I know of.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• D Algozine

• MHISSTC

• cozog1548534733

• Members
We as a group are just trying to add a simple cover that will decrease maint cost in the long run but yet it feels like our input and very good suggestions are just shut out and not even considered!

As I've said before, dont make the mistake of assuming everyone in the series has the same opinion you do. Some do, some dont. Although I personally like these forums and hang out here often there are plenty of drivers that never come here. Their opinion also matters.

I think you're equating "listening to" and "agreeing with". They are very different. The fact that the RCR is on the list, was published on the forum, has comments here and there from officials, and will eventually be discussed at length by the officials then the decision summaries posted are all evidence of CMC officials listening. Whether or not they (myself included) agree with you is not the same thing.

Listen, everyone has opinions, and some are good and some...well, not so much. Thats great! Voicing those is how we all understand better. Dont get frustrated if everything you think is right doesnt end up being accepted as such.

The bottom line is any time a line is drawn in the sand we can argue about why the line was drawn "here" and not "there". If we move the line, we can still argue about why it is in the new "here" and not a different "there".

Just an FYI.

I just purchased a new T2R for my CMC car. I read that Ford says you need to change the fluid in the Boss 302R with the T2R every four hours of track time! Sounds excessive.

JJ

I'm one of those guys coming from HPDE's with an already built street/track car. The cool thing was I was able to sell $4500 worth of parts that I couldn't use in CMC. I thought it was great though. That's a lot of money to put towards safety gear, tires, and a cage.

I'm really surprised at the number of people on this forum who have very strong opinions. Who the hell cares? Yeah, it's odd that we can swap read ends, but not allowed to have an aftermarket cover. We can run coil overs, but must use stock sway bars. The list goes on. But it's not worth getting your panties in bunch over. It just seems a waste of effort. Put your request in for a rule change and move on. It's not worth the arguement.

Another thing to consider is the length of the rule book. It's kind of nice knowing that so much of the car is stock. It makes building a car so much easier.

I'm a new guy coming in, so take it for what it's worth.

Just an FYI.

I just purchased a new T2R for my CMC car. I read that Ford says you need to change the fluid in the Boss 302R with the T2R every four hours of track time! Sounds excessive.

JJ

CMC Texas runs about 11hrs per season of track time. 2 times a season for a factory warranty/recommendation seems about right.

...but nearly everyone of those TYPES of new recruits, have an existing car, and I would bet that in most cases, those cars are already built beyond the CMC rules.

While I agree with most of your thoughts and threads Dave, this statement is not true. Most of the people who ask about CMC racing are looking to either build from scratch or buy a current CMC car. I'm not saying the SCCA or AI cross overs don't exists, but I haven't seen anyone dumb down a race car to CMC specs, except maybe Jon Cece's 4th gen. I don't think his car needed any change but power restriction and minor suspension mods anyway. No seem welding, etc, that I know of.

Todd,

Um...you're mistaken. Bob, Bryan, Kent, and my former Firebird were all AI cars before being "dumbed down" to run CMC.

Sidney

Todd,

Um...you're mistaken. Bob, Bryan, Kent, and my former Firebird were all AI cars before being "dumbed down" to run CMC.

Sidney

I was referring to new CMC racers, not current/past.

Somewhat related. I've seen some engines with aftermarket valve covers, mostly the older cars. I didn't see anything in the rules. Are these legal? Are the ones listed below?

555-50110.jpg

778-141-907.jpg

510-241-82K.jpg

510-241-91.jpg

Ohhh whole new can of night crawlers..

Try to find an aftermarket set of valve covers that fit a mustang without running an intake spacer.

Do they have drain plugs?

And BANG goes another can of coke spewed into a keyboard... Hey, warn me before you do that, will ya?!?!?!

Somewhat related. I've seen some engines with aftermarket valve covers, mostly the older cars. I didn't see anything in the rules. Are these legal? Are the ones listed below?

All racers should balance the rules with some common sense.

OEM means actual OEM and OEM type replacement. OEM type replacement can be equated to aftermarket as long as the aftermarket piece serves an identical purpose as the OEM piece with no benefit or differing purpose over the actual OEM piece. Any non-OEM piece allowed that provides some type of benefit, either monetarily because the OEM pieces are rare and expensive, or in longevity because the aftermarket piece is a better design, or because it accomplishes a specific purpose beyond the OEM piece should be accounted for in the rules.

You could show similar pictures of a variety of shift knobs from an OEM rubber or leather piece, to a classic white/black ball, to a billet piece, or a hand carved resin skull. It's not specifically in the rules that you can change the shift knob, but you can because they all accomplish the same thing, and you know it without the need to define it.

Do they have drain plugs?

Good stuff Bob..............and ............Exactly my point !! How many fill holes or breather holes are legal ? Material type, fins, strength

Kind of makes 5 pages of a diff cover discussion look strange. Its a cover? Not a whiz bang, go fast part.

You could show similar pictures of a variety of shift knobs from an OEM rubber or leather piece, to a classic white/black ball, to a billet piece, or a hand carved resin skull. It's not specifically in the rules that you can change the shift knob, but you can because they all accomplish the same thing, and you know it without the need to define it.

Exactly, same thought process applies to a "cover".

FYI, I really don't care about something as trivial as a cover. I am just astonished that it is/has been such a huge deal. All anyone really cares about is simply being able to replace the fluid easily. This can easily been accomplished with a cheap and readily available aftermarket cover. Thats, the whole point, or try to weld bungs in very thin stamped steel.

The rest of this is boarderline insane.

Edit in Bold

Edited by Guest

Shifters are open. How does that not include shift knobs?

I thought shifters were the things that actually provided the mechanical ability to select gears and did not specifically include the shift levers or the knobs. Many retailers sell their wares with the lever included, but not necessarily the knobs. Therefore you either have to reuse your OEM knob, or select an aftermarket knob to go with it.

aftermarket shift knobs and drain plugs on valve covers are not defined in the rule book. It is a gray area... This means they are illegal.

Also.. I have light weight valve covers.. The rust ate at some of the steel material. I guess These must be illegal now too