"You don't get it"

mitchntx1548534714

How many times did I hear that in 2005.

And it was a true statement. I didn't understand what the intent behind CMC was.

I still don't understand how certain rules changes are shuffled through and others are sumarily dismissed. The logic behind the decision is baffling at times.

$2000 brakes are okee-dokee but $20 blowers for the brakes are denied, even though I can spend $100 on NACA ducts and hose. I stopped trying to make sense out of the mentality of the directors a long time ago.

It was frustrating and even maddening sometimes. Friendships were ruined because of it.

I don't get it ... but what I do get is the series is a mere shell of what it was when I first arrived. Looking back it was something very special and I wish many of you could have experienced that.

It wasn't nirvana, but it was stable, competitive and growing.

It's now a refugee camp and the influx of castaways is causing even more change. I don't blame them ... its the world they left.

While it troubles me that their "mentality" is infiltrating what I once enjoyed so much, I realize its the new CMC and again, I don't get it. I realize, I'm in the minority ... I'm the old school.

I honestly wish you new folks could have experienced the old CMC.

There is a book out there by Ayrton Senna called Principles of Speed or something like that where he describes the time in his career where he enjoyed racing the most. He explains it was when he was a young teen and racing locally in carts. He described it as "pure".

How poignant. I view my time in CMC much the same way ... pure fun, pure racing and pure firendships.

But all this posturing and politicing has soiled what I recall as CMC. It's just not the same any more. I've talked with several and I'm not alone in feeling that something wonderful is lost and is now rather ugly. Its politics and not racing ...

There were many talented drivers, builders and fabricators that have filtered through CMC. I've had the pleasure of meeting many of them. "They got it" and for 10 years CMC was brilliant.

I sincerely hope it returns to that brilliance.

I'll cite Tragedy of the Commons here.

We have a shared resource of what modifications we can do (susp, brakes, trans, motor...). And in the interest of winning and "have the edge" to our competition we have depleted the intent by maximizing all the "allowables"; even though we know that its driving the "spec" intent of the class out of the water. Creating an arms race and money (modification) wins class.

Hey, I am just the new guy here with a CMC1 car. Only have gotten the power up to CMC2 limits. Relearning how to race moderate power RWD after years of AWD and FWD. The initial draw to CMC was that it was great racing at a great price. Not how other classes have become a spend to the limit to win racing.

I don't know the history of the class. Only see where it is now and where it appears to be going. I can't make it easier to service my rear diff fluid. But I have to get a $2000 big brake kit and $4000 custom geared transmission?

Do we need to define our scope and intent again? What is our mission statement now? Has it changed? Has it been explicitly defined (not just talking the rule book here -- talking as a cultural statement)?

Please don;t misunderstand ... I think new blood and new eyes are VITAL in order to keep things REAL.

What I'm seeing though is a group entering wanting to make changes based upon perception.

Perception is not uniform. What I see and understand is as inique as a fingerprint. Therefore its differnt than yours. Not worse, not better ... different.

Trying to force a perception forward, especially without having never experienced what CMC was and had, is headed down a path of self-destruction.

Over-reacting? What's the car count in California? Coincedence or not, a cancer has developed and its eroding the fabric.

If its the economy, make it more affordable, not more expensive.

If its CMC2 then surgically cut it out.

If its corporate, stop passing the buck and submit your own RCR to them and MAKE them understand its fucked up.

The example you cite SMike is a good one. While on the surface, its really not that big of a deal, right? But it opens a door and starts down a pathway of "might-as-wells". And we've all been there.

I honestly don't see a significant "ease of maintenance" by allowing a drain plug. It certainly does thoroughly drain the diff and any metal finlings will remain in a pool in the bottom any way. Best course of action is gain access, clean it all thoroughly and reseal it. It's 10 bolts and tube of gasket seat sealer.

But that's your perception vs mine.

In the grand scheme what does it hurt? not much ...

In the grand scheme, what does it help? not much ...

In the OLD CMC, that is an immediate "not gonna happen". In today's world, in order to squelch "perception" I can see directors rolling over and allowing these kinds of things that in years past would have been laughed at.

While maddening, it maintained the integrity of the series.

But allowing things like this, xhange is the now the new norm and stability is a distant memory.

How does that entice the new crop of newbs next year? or the year after? Now THEIR perception is constant change, turmoil and a moving target.

I believe that is referred to as a slippery slope.

Edited by Guest

But I have to get a $2000 big brake kit and $4000 custom geared transmission?
That's the point.. you don't. And part of the verbal history from the Old Folks, is that once the front runners havet the bling, everybody else thinks they need it.

Do we need to define our scope and intent again? What is our mission statement now? Has it changed? Has it been explicitly defined (not just talking the rule book here -- talking as a cultural statement)?
No, I don't think we do.

I was thinking about some of this Wednesday night as I was working on the car. It's down to the tub for the winter to clean up some stuff I didn't do as well as I should/could have when I built the thing in 2009. I had an easy question, that I was pretty sure I knew the answer to, but I just called a Director to talk about it.

And it dawned on me that although the CMC rules have an avenue for change - there is no expectation for a change. I went through the big stack of "whys/why nots" when I started but fundamentally I was decided that this was the class I was going to race in. Period.

From my perspective as a 4th gen guy - the LS1 brakes are enough and the couple sets of 16" wheels are enough. For now. I've got enough work to do on the driver - but I have "set it and forget it!" and run pretty well as it is.

Given a choice - I would be running in a class with the last set of CMC1 rules in an instant.

No misunderstandings. I am apart of CMC.

From my line of work; perception is often reality. Whether true, false, or crazy. Structures of misconceptions or poor foundations of knowledge.

Look at TX and GL/MW though -- we have 10+ cars. One of the big draws to CMC over PT_.

I am ALL for more affordable over more expensive.

I see some modifications as more than "might-as-wells". Hey, I race to first off have a good time and secondly to win (OK my goals are simpler -- just run midpack...).

Drain plug was just the this-or-that example.

And I am part of the new crop. For the most part, I am waiting for all to settle the 2013 rules before I modify my car.

Certainly no offense intended by anything I said; and apologies if there was any.

Generally it's been a good set of discussion across the whole group.

Too bad this greatest country in the world is so big, or we could all just meet up at the track and hash it out in person over grilled meat(s) and fermented beverage.

Certainly no offense intended by anything I said; and apologies if there was any.

Generally it's been a good set of discussion across the whole group.

Too bad this greatest country in the world is so big, or we could all just meet up at the track and hash it out in person over grilled meat(s) and fermented beverage.

Oh, none taken. Just saying I am with you all here.

I like the way you think. Hallett Shootout? All in favor?

How many times did I hear that in 2005.

And it was a true statement. I didn't understand what the intent behind CMC was.

I still don't understand how certain rules changes are shuffled through and others are sumarily dismissed. The logic behind the decision is baffling at times.

$2000 brakes are okee-dokee but $20 blowers for the brakes are denied, even though I can spend $100 on NACA ducts and hose. I stopped trying to make sense out of the mentality of the directors a long time ago.

It was frustrating and even maddening sometimes. Friendships were ruined because of it.

I don't get it ... but what I do get is the series is a mere shell of what it was when I first arrived. Looking back it was something very special and I wish many of you could have experienced that.

It wasn't nirvana, but it was stable, competitive and growing.

It's now a refugee camp and the influx of castaways is causing even more change. I don't blame them ... its the world they left.

While it troubles me that their "mentality" is infiltrating what I once enjoyed so much, I realize its the new CMC and again, I don't get it. I realize, I'm in the minority ... I'm the old school.

I honestly wish you new folks could have experienced the old CMC.

There is a book out there by Ayrton Senna called Principles of Speed or something like that where he describes the time in his career where he enjoyed racing the most. He explains it was when he was a young teen and racing locally in carts. He described it as "pure".

How poignant. I view my time in CMC much the same way ... pure fun, pure racing and pure firendships.

But all this posturing and politicing has soiled what I recall as CMC. It's just not the same any more. I've talked with several and I'm not alone in feeling that something wonderful is lost and is now rather ugly. Its politics and not racing ...

There were many talented drivers, builders and fabricators that have filtered through CMC. I've had the pleasure of meeting many of them. "They got it" and for 10 years CMC was brilliant.

I sincerely hope it returns to that brilliance.

What you are describing is nothing new. It happens to every class in every form of motorsports. It is nothing unique to CMC...

What you are describing is nothing new. It happens to every class in every form of motorsports. It is nothing unique to CMC...

I too have felt that sting ... it does happen.

But CMC was the exception for far too long. And the reason for the utter disappointment that the custodians of the series has allowed the series to be pillaged and raped from what it once was.

So while it may be "the norm" it doesn't mean it HAS to be the norm. I've seen it and experienced the ab-norm while many here who are adamant about changes have not.

I acknowledge that the "norm" is what any series is about. And I'm telling each of you it wasn't always like that. And its never too late to make it whole again.

As racers we can chose to bicker, argue, fight, alienate and finger-point or not. It boils down to what each racer wants and is willing to do and the legacy they leave in their wake.

Just curious...why is hallet such a big deal to everyone? Is there a higher turnout even though it's 7hrs away??

This would be about the only thing that could bait me into commenting in this thread.

The "Hallett Effect".

Hallett is a great old track that is very "unflat", blind this and blind that, narrow and bumpy. Very low average speed compaired to most other tracks in TX.

Hallett is the northern most NASA TX event.

The track is out in BFE - 30 miles from the nearest town worthy of being named. The only parking there is inside the middle of the track. When the track is hot, your a hostage. Most everyone camps at the track due to the great weather 99% of the time. This results in some epic BBQ's and partys that rival ones I've been involved in at Nationals. Box wine in the magarita machine at 3am comes to mind.

Halletts location places it very close to the RM and GL regions. Since TX has (in the past for sure) had a much larger car count that the other 2 closest regions, those guys came to race w/ big CMC car count. If I recall, Hallett CMC has had a higher car count than any National event ever has. I'm pretty sure each year the CMC car count at Hallett has been greater than the same year National CMC car count. The corner workers are crazy, the safety crew is crazy, the food in the cafe is very good and the family who owns the track treats everyone like family. This track has alot of history in this area.

This track is the comfort food of race tracks. Greasy and bad for you and you love it cause you have never felt so at home while at the track.

If you have never been, your missing out. I've missed the last two years due to family life issues. I don't plan on missing the next one.

I've raced there before but I was just wondering why everyone likes it. I personally don't like it cause there is little room to pass and I almost always ended up doing body work at the end of the weekend cause people get impatient. I would think in a bigger V8 car it would be even worse?

• Members

Racing CMC at Hallett is as good as it gets. This year was the exception, but normally were talking 24 plus cars, and the fastest from RMR MW/GL and Tx. The racing is tight, close, and furious. We do a nationals style format except there's three qualifying races, two of which are inverted starts and the main is still 40 minutes. I don't know how many times I've been stumbling around that paddock past 3am. It's my favorite race weekend of the year hands down.

Now back to Mitch waxing poetic about how life would be so much better if we just had 30 less hp.

Alright that's it, I'm coming making the trip to Hallett someday, I don't care how far away it is. Now if I can only figure out how to make my homebrew kegs portable....

Cool. I'll try to make it then. If I remember correctly that track is really hard on tires and bearings. Guess I'll need a bunch of spares.

This year at Hallett we had 15 CMC cars and "I think" only 1 small point of contact all event. IIRC, both RM and MW/GL had events very close to Hallett so the turnout was a little light.

In 2011 there were 25 total cars (CMC+CMC2)

In 2010 there were 20 total cars (CMC+CMC2)

We need to make 2013 the biggest ever!!!