The #18

roadracerwhite

Started taking the #18 apart tonight. I am trying to figure out a new color scheme.

P8090415.jpg

20121104_210153.jpg

20121104_205947.jpg

The car is a blue/grey(original color of the car) with a black front end and a huge bird on the black hood. The Black hood with the bird is staying no matter what. What color should the rest of the car be? I do NOT want an all black car.

I was thinking of painting the sides a gunmetal color, with the hood and the headlight doors and the truck lid black. Leaving the top blue/grey.

I think I am going to go all out and paint the bottom, interior, and engine compartment as well. I want to paint them grey, so the inside will be easier to clean and wont be so dirty.

Bryan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roadracerwhite

• wastntim

• D Algozine

• Al F.

It is hard to beat the black and gold special edition for looks. I do not want an all black race car though.

Classic trans am colors would be cool, but since I am doing the painting, I need something which can be repaired quickly, so I am a little hesistant on two tone panels.

Bryan

:lol: Just noticed in the classic trans am photo there are a handful of not trans am cars.

I noticed it too. The BMW, Mecedes, and the CTSV, kind of an odd picture.

Bryan

Is that a real 3-duece GTO?

It is a tripower. It is not a gto though, it is my Tempest which I have had since I was 17. The Tempest part of the drivetrain is long gone, now it has a 400 w TH400. It has a gto hood and front end on it.

The easiest solution might be to match the top to the hood and the front fenders to the rest of the car. The only two tone would be down the B pillar and may the sides of the nose.

• Members

Definitely black and gold!! Well, unless you can get one of the electrical guys around here to set you up with a string of red leds that wave back and forth The original kitt didnt have that ridiculous splitter.

I vote Smokey and the Bandit... if this was a poll.

Yep.. I second that.. only thing is.. you have to wear a cow boy hat instead of a helmet when you drive!!!

Classic trans am colors would be cool, but since I am doing the painting, I need something which can be repaired quickly, so I am a little hesistant on two tone panels.

Vinyl is your friend. Shoot the entire car gloss black and use 1/4" gold vinyl for all the pin stripes. Rattle can to fix body panels with spare vinyl tape for the pinstripes. You could stipe each headlight cover, each nostril, wheel arches, door openings, glass surrounds, bumpers, roll cage, interior... the choices are endless!

Vinyl is your friend. Shoot the entire car gloss black and use 1/4" gold vinyl for all the pin stripes. Rattle can to fix body panels with spare vinyl tape for the pinstripes. You could stipe each headlight cover, each nostril, wheel arches, door openings, glass surrounds, bumpers, roll cage, interior... the choices are endless!

I can see it now, Don't hit the #18, I got next to him and got tangled in the pinstriping for 3 laps.

White and black isn't going to happen, I am not a cop.

Cowboy hat..funny, seems this car would belong in Texas then. How do you guys keep them on when racing. How do you operate the CB?

Is it too late to submit a rule change to mandate CB radios for all cars?

Bryan- sorry for the off topic question, but I was wondering where you got your wheel spacers?

Thanks.

In Texarkana with some Coors.

j/k

Bryan- sorry for the off topic question, but I was wondering where you got your wheel spacers?

Thanks.

I got them from TJ a long time ago.

Bryan

• 3 weeks later...

More progress;

20121126_215434.jpg

20121126_215505.jpg

I think this was a good idea to tear it down, but it sure feels like I digging a deep hole. It is going to be awesome when it is done but it is really going to suck to put back together. I have to get the rest of it apart for this weekend so I can pressure wash and scrub the underside of the car.

Looks pretty plain without all of the decals as well.