• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roadracerwhite

• wastntim

• D Algozine

• Al F.

Yeah, the more I take off of it the more holes I find I have to fix.

under the drivers seat is all wrinkled from what, I have no idea, going to have to move where the sub belts bolt on, becasue it seems to flimsy where they are at now.

There is about a 4 in just in front of the drivers seat on the left where either the chassis is wearing out or the line worker "forgot to weld it" and filled it with seam sealer instead. Now the seam sealing is falling out and revealing the hole.

There is also another place in the back seat area where the seam sealer has fallen out and revealed a small rust hole as well.

There is a small rust hole right in front of the left front down tube base in the floor.

Another rust hole in the right rear quarter.

I am disassembling this car to fix some of the little issues which have been bothering me for a while and fix the others as they are uncovered. Also I am going to be doing some cleaning and painting while I am at it. I am hoping to be able to keep it cleaner when I am finished putting it back together.

Going to pressure wash it this weekend and scrub the grime off of it.

What color should I paint the interior and bottom of the car? Grey or White?

Medium to dark Grey for the interior is my opinion.

white always looks dirty. Plus the sun bouncing around can be distracting, especially when your checking mirrors.

Black typically shows dirt,and gets pretty hot during those August sunny days.

Medium to dark Grey for the interior is my opinion.

white always looks dirty. Plus the sun bouncing around can be distracting, especially when your checking mirrors.

Black typically shows dirt,and gets pretty hot during those August sunny days.

I agree with Dave. Definately not white. Looks great when new but that will be the last time.

Ford Engine Gray

Seriously, it's like a light Dove Grey that is light enough so small parts dropped on the floor don't disappear in the darkness and any fluid leaks show up well, but it's subdued enough to not blind you in direct sunlight.

m88973352.jpg

Grey it is, just have to get it pressure washed and fix the floor. Hoping to get to it today, but there is a bunch of work to do before I get there and it is Elaine's birthday today.

Bryan

Here is how far I got today

Carefully getting it bolted up;

20121201_1614290.jpg

Something wrong here.

20121201_174734.jpg

I have half a dozen things left to unbolt after I right the car tomorrow.

My mother in law was over today, took one look at the car and asked "why?". After she left I thought about it a little bit...I did DRIVE the car in the garage.

Bryan

Do you plan on having that back together by spring? And I was thinking all you wanted to do was to replace the Clutch. This is going at it a little odd. That said I own a Ford.

Oh, that thing is going to be GORGEOUS when you're done!

I hope so.

Bryan, keep up the good work.

As a show of solidarity, mine looks about the same - I just didn't put it on a rotisserie.

You should it is an interesting perspective of the car for sure, and you don't have to weld upside down either. I hate it when the weld berries burn off whats left of my hair when I weld upside down.

You have way too much free time.

About 2 hours every night.

I was going to suggest the Rustoleum brand since you can find it just about anywhere or some other single stage implement paint since it doesn't have to have a mirror gloss, but it needs to be durable.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully I can get back to working on the race car after Christmas. Other projects keep getting in the way.

Rear wheel bearing went out in the 04 GTO and it took way longer than expected to fix.

Put an optispark in the Firehawk. It has had some issues for a little while now, I think this is going to finally fix it. The air inlet to the optispark had a hole down low so it sucked in some moisture in it and corroded everything.

Bryan

Hopefully I can get back to working on the race car after Christmas. Other projects keep getting in the way.

Rear wheel bearing went out in the 04 GTO and it took way longer than expected to fix.

Put an optispark in the Firehawk. It has had some issues for a little while now, I think this is going to finally fix it. The air inlet to the optispark had a hole down low so it sucked in some moisture in it and corroded everything.

Bryan

How many cars do you have?? Are you the "Jay Leno" of the midwest ?

Bryan

More like the Jay Leno of Pontiac

Bryan

I have enough that when I get down to 2, I am pretty stressed out. Usually, I only have one apart at a time, this year it has been a little different because I took the 70 Firebird down earlier in the year and haven't been able to get back to it yet. Next summer I plan to get moving on it.

I plan on thinning the herd next year by 2, maybe 3. That will make things a little less complicated.

• 1 month later...

Still working at it. It is taking forever to get where I want to be. I will get some more pictures maybe tomorrow, for now I just have this one.

20130124_213004_zpsb4be24df.jpg

Hopefully it will be the only time I can do this.

So I fixed the Fuel cell area which I didn't like, so I made it better.

I cut the illegal tube on the passenger side which passed through the firewall from when it was an AI car. Still have to do the drivers side.

fixed some holes in the floor.

dug out a bunch of seam sealer.

I still need to patch some rust holes in the bottom.

I need to install the subframe connectors/jacking rails.

Then I want to paint the interior and bottom grey

Then I can start reassembling.

This makes me happy. I'm not the only one with nothing but a tub at this time of year.

Yeah, but all of the parts I took off are in front of it ready to go back on. With the exception of wiring it will go together really quick.

Bryan