The #18

roadracerwhite

Got some more work done this last couple weeks;

Redid the fuel cell area, this wasn't necessary but it has been something I wanted to do for a long time. I just was never happy with how the cover was attached.

20130121_161909.jpg

Finally completely removed the bars protruding from the firewall.

20130127_191228.jpg

20130127_191207.jpg

They have been cut for a while now, I just had not had the motor out to get at the areas.

Next up was fixing the crushed area next to the frame rail on the drivers side. Some of the spot welds have failed and it was crushed pretty bad.

20121203_142524.jpg

I cut off the piece along the line and pounded and bent it back to close to what it should be and re welded the spot welds on the inside which were broken.

20121203_142715.jpg

Ready to weld back on;

20130127_210024.jpg

After this is welded back on then I have to fix the rust issues in the same area on both sides. After that I can finally put on the subframe connectors/jacking rails. I bought the ones from JEGS FYI.

Bryan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roadracerwhite

• wastntim

• D Algozine

• Al F.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought some subframe connectors to use mostly as jacking rails, but also as subframe connectors. These are made to be bolted on, but I am going to weld them on as well.

20130207_202414_zps94d201f9.jpg

20130207_202448_zpsc2530e2c.jpg

20130207_202425_zps2507d1ae.jpg

20130207_202456_zps40c68611.jpg

The problem with welding them on is that I am going to have to add more material to them to connect them to anything substantial, and add more material on the passenger side to make it a complete jacking rail

So it isn't really close enough to the body seam in most spots to be able to weld it there. Looks like I am going to be able to weld them to the floor in the front and weld them to the body seam and the suspension pick up point/subframe in the rear.

Just dont stich them along the length. Front and back only

What is the reasoning behind not allowing them to be stitched the entire length?

Wouldn't that help the longevity of the chassis, which would significantly lower long term cost for a very inexpensive and simple item ?

What is the reasoning behind not allowing them to be stitched the entire length?

Wouldn't that help the longevity of the chassis, which would significantly lower long term cost for a very inexpensive and simple item ?

Its that line in the sand thing again. Been that way forever. Wanna change it? Please submit an RCR.

Its that line in the sand thing again. Been that way forever. Wanna change it? Please submit an RCR.

I did back in Oct. One of the Director replys was that the chassis is a wear item and we should plan to replace it when its needed. Doesn't seem like a very cost effective method to me. But what do I know, I'm just an AI light wanabe.

I did back in Oct. One of the Director replys was that the chassis is a wear item and we should plan to replace it when its needed. Doesn't seem like a very cost effective method to me. But what do I know, I'm just an AI light wanabe.

I agree w/ what you want. I even took it one step further and asked to be allowed to attach the main hoop and forward down bars to the chassis a set length of linear inches per bar to aid in chassis longevity. I got shot down as well.

I agree w/ what you want. I even took it one step further and asked to be allowed to attach the main hoop and forward down bars to the chassis a set length of linear inches per bar to aid in chassis longevity. I got shot down as well.

I'm going to argue the other way and say while maybe it is not what we'd all ideally like to have, the line drawn in the sand is OK where it is right now for the average CMC racers with average skills and average wallet depth. Because if you allow the above, then why not allow through-the-floor bracing between the front subframe and the rear subframe, or across-the-tunnel bracing? And then if you allow that, why not allow cage bars extending forward to the shock towers, and so on, and so on... ...all in the name of increasing chassis longevity of course?

I'm going to argue the other way and say while maybe it is not what we'd all ideally like to have, the line drawn in the sand is OK where it is right now for the average CMC racers with average skills and average wallet depth. Because if you allow the above, then why not allow through-the-floor bracing between the front subframe and the rear subframe, or across-the-tunnel bracing? And then if you allow that, why not allow cage bars extending forward to the shock towers, and so on, and so on... ...all in the name of increasing chassis longevity of course?

Nothing personal Scott, but it's statements like this that make me question the duration that I will want to stay in CMC as opposed to another racing series. When someone suggests a simple and easy fix like stitching subframe connectors, when the subframe connectors are already allowed and someone starts one of these arguements like "Where will it ever end", I become more than frustrated. In your argument, why didn't you just keep going to suggest that a full tubular frame? It's no different from the ridiculous four page thread arguing back and forth about having adjustable spring perches but making them be nonadjustable. Someone automatically brings up the "Slippery Slope" argument again and in their example they usually end up referencing some extreme like IRS.

Can't we use some rational thought in deciding what is "too much" rather than arguing that EVERY SINGLE CHANGE is going to send the series to AI proportions? I understand the idea behind the series. We all do. That is why we picked it but when the series directors make decisions that will increase the cost for the racers by disallowing a simple thing like stiching in subframe connectors simply because it is a change, I begin to question if this is the right series for me.

Sorry for the rant, but I really get tired of the slippery slope argument that immediately shows up anytime any change to the rules is suggested.

Can't we use some rational thought in deciding what is "too much" rather than arguing that EVERY SINGLE CHANGE is going to send the series to AI proportions? I understand the idea behind the series. We all do. That is why we picked it but when the series directors make decisions that will increase the cost for the racers by disallowing a simple thing like stiching in subframe connectors simply because it is a change, I begin to question if this is the right series for me.

Sorry for the rant, but I really get tired of the slippery slope argument that immediately shows up anytime any change to the rules is suggested.

Nothing personal taken, good feedback. While I'd personally like to see more strategic stitch welding of spot welded joints in every chassis, I still think we are pretty OK where we are right now with the allowances that were made for 2013.

I think we're dangerously close to taking over a thread with semi-related discussion that really wasn't the intent of the original post.

I want to see more inspirational build pictures of a 3rd gen F-body!

I think we're dangerously close to taking over a thread with semi-related discussion that really wasn't the intent of the original post.

Agreed!

Bryan, get it in gear! 65 Days to Autobahn!

Agreed!

Had a couple distractions the last couple weeks, hope to get back out there every night again shortly. I don't want to say I am not going to make Autobahn, but it is going to be close for sure.

I also have a tire and wheel situation/debate going on right now as well.

Bryan

Agreed!

Had a couple distractions the last couple weeks, hope to get back out there every night again shortly. I don't want to say I am not going to make Autobahn, but it is going to be close for sure.

I also have a tire and wheel situation/debate going on right now as well.

Bryan

Distractions.............I think I win that category

Here..... does this make you feel any better ? Photo taken two nights ago.

photo-M.jpg

Nothing personal Scott, but it's statements like this that make me question the duration that I will want to stay in CMC as opposed to another racing series. When someone suggests a simple and easy fix like stitching subframe connectors, when the subframe connectors are already allowed and someone starts one of these arguements like "Where will it ever end", I become more than frustrated. In your argument, why didn't you just keep going to suggest that a full tubular frame? It's no different from the ridiculous four page thread arguing back and forth about having adjustable spring perches but making them be nonadjustable. Someone automatically brings up the "Slippery Slope" argument again and in their example they usually end up referencing some extreme like IRS.

Can I get an amen from someone in the congregation ??? AMEN

I always ask the same question..........These are race cars...........right ?

Bravo my friend, bravo!

Distractions.............I think I win that category

Here..... does this make you feel any better ? Photo taken two nights ago.

photo-M.jpg

You're gonna need a bigger trash can...

Well the first event is 7 weeks away and I keep chipping away at it. The good news is that I am almost done with all the repairs/things which should have been done when the car was first built. Yes I am adding a bunch of weight with the subframe connectors, however it is going to make life at the track so much easier.

One of the repairs I am working on now is the shifter plate area.

20130219_195038_zps15ffeb55.jpg

So in the picture here is the replacement panel over the top of my floor. Amazing the difference, the black piece is from a 1992 car while my car is a 1984. I wonder when they started putting the ribs in the floor.

After the shifter plate, I have some block off plates in the interior on the drivers side to put in to control engine fumes/heat from the engine compartment. Then I will start painting the inside and the bottom.

Bryan