CAD drawings for LT1 restrictor plates?

AllZWay

Jerry.... It is probably too late, but I think we may need more than those starting at 42mm. I had to use a 40mm plate on the dyno this weekend. Mitch has loaned me a set to get dynoed with.

Jerry.... It is probably too late, but I think we may need more than those starting at 42mm. I had to use a 40mm plate on the dyno this weekend. Mitch has loaned me a set to get dynoed with.

What size plate were you running last year? Is my bullet I sold you makign too much power?

What size plate were you running last year? Is my bullet I sold you makign too much power?

It made about 4-5 more than last year. They always say an engine is it's fastest right before it blows up.

So if a 40 worked for you what range do we need? I got sick at work Thrusday so I will run them Wed.

JJ

Jerry...... Just a guess at this point, but I know of some using a 39mm, so maybe 38-47mm.

So if a 40 worked for you what range do we need? I got sick at work Thrusday so I will run them Wed.

JJ

Jerry...... Just a guess at this point, but I know of some using a 39mm, so maybe 38-47mm.

Can we really need that large a range? That's ten sizes!

JJ

Jerry... Good question and I honestly don't know the answer.

I really thought a 47mm plate would do it for me, but we changed plates by 2mm increments until we got down to the 40mm.

Most folks are not going to really need but two or three plates, but knowing what it is going to take is just a guess.

In my case.... I would be happy with a 39mm - 44mm set, just to keep it to only five plates.... but I think some will need 42-47mm plates depending on our fresh their engine is and how much hp they are making.

I really thought a 47mm plate would do it for me, but we changed plates by 2mm increments until we got down to the 40mm.

Most folks are not going to really need but two or three plates, but knowing what it is going to take is just a guess.

In my case.... I would be happy with a 39mm - 44mm set, just to keep it to only five plates.... but I think some will need 42-47mm plates depending on our fresh their engine is and how much hp they are making.

I will make five sets of 39 to 47.

JJ

JJ,

Not sure if you missed my PM to you earlier, but I am bringing a new LT1 build to the MSRH dyno next Friday and am dire need of plates. I know you're doing this for "fun" but let me know if I can do anything to help?

Thanks,

Pranav.

I will make five sets of 39 to 47.

JJ

Definately count me in for a set.

JJ,

Not sure if you missed my PM to you earlier, but I am bringing a new LT1 build to the MSRH dyno next Friday and am dire need of plates. I know you're doing this for "fun" but let me know if I can do anything to help?

Thanks,

Pranav.

If all else fails you can use mine

• 2 months later...

I just made five sets of 39 to 47 MM. If I have it right James wanted a set, Robert, Kent and maybe Pravav. I can deliver James and Pranav this weekend but I need address for Kent and Robert.

Please e-mail me at [email protected]

JJ

Instead of dealing with resteictor plates, why not simply restrict the exhaust? Doesn't that create more low end torque? A restrictive muffler and smaller diameter pipe would probably do it, right?

Instead of dealing with resteictor plates, why not simply restrict the exhaust? Doesn't that create more low end torque? A restrictive muffler and smaller diameter pipe would probably do it, right?

I don't know if you are right or not but how are you going to change mufflers and different size pipe during a dyno session?

JJ

I'm thinking you could just clamp on a smaller diameter turn down. They make them in different flavors and are dirt cheap. You could have it band clamped on.

My exhaust will be welded from Y pipe back, but leaving the turn down clamped with a SS band clamp would work. Secure, but easy to change.

I can't be the first one to think of this, just wondering why nobody does it. Seems better than dealing with restristor plates. Plus, isn't there a throttle response issue with restrictor plates?

I'm thinking you could just clamp on a smaller diameter turn down. They make them in different flavors and are dirt cheap. You could have it band clamped on.

My exhaust will be welded from Y pipe back, but leaving the turn down clamped with a SS band clamp would work. Secure, but easy to change.

I can't be the first one to think of this, just wondering why nobody does it. Seems better than dealing with restristor plates. Plus, isn't there a throttle response issue with restrictor plates?

There used to be a requirement for where the restrictor had to be located. May not be that way now.

I have some 4th gen Borla exhaust plates modified to install in my 3 bolt flange that is at the end of my Y pipe. I have never installed them.

14464.jpg

The last thing you want is more low end tq. My car w/ a 37mm plate in the intake just made a 3 pull average of 311tq at 2400 RPM's. The graph slopes downhill from there on. I have about 250lb of tq in the usable RPM range. The ticket is to have an LT1 peak at about 4000-4500. Dropping the comp ratio would be a good thing for the LT1. It would also be nice to have a 112-110 LSA cam w/ stock dur and lift.

Ditto here. I have to plate for torque, not HP. And the max Tq is so low in the rpm range it's useless. The only bright spot is it stays reasonably flat to around 4k. Took a while to learn to drive to the curve.

• 2 weeks later...