Can we allow this product in cmc(ford users)

Gr8-96GT

• Members

I'm certainly open to learning more about this particular kit. Not having the right year mustang in my garage it's hard to see just how far this deviates from the current rule that allows you to reinforce the OE sheet metal. Bottom line is we started seeing pretty bad failures, the racers submitted some recommended parts to help, they were allowed, and now were seeing perhaps that wasn't enough. Ok, so back to the proverbial drawing board right? I'm all for keeping tubs alive. The time involved in building out a new tub is huge.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MHISSTC

• Glenn

• 37Stang

• D Algozine

I'm certainly open to learning more about this particular kit. Not having the right year mustang in my garage it's hard to see just how far this deviates from the current rule that allows you to reinforce the OE sheet metal.

I'll get some pics posted up in the next day or so of some really good installation documentation some other folks have done.

Apparently, in January, Wild Rides has released a version 2.0 of their upper and lower "S-box" torque box replacement kits. They are listed on their website together as a kit for $649.49. The pictures and description on their website are of the original version, while the pictures they have on their Facebook page are of the version 2.0. The difference is the Version 2.0 has more adjustment holes available than the original. So now instead of picking the middle of three holes as the OEM location, I'm not sure which hole to use as I haven't been able to find any documentation. They still indicate one of the holes in the lower box is in the OEM location, but I haven't been able to verify which one. They still don't mention which upper box hole is the OEM location. I think the email contact feature on their website is jacked up. I (or someone else if they have time right now because I don't) will have to call them and ask about this.

Wild Rides Race Cars

(732)751-1113

The new version:

184431_472040559526270_277644679_n.jpg

This is my favorite upper S-box install documentation. It's in a fox and there are lots of pictures and a good write-up:

http://www.mikemartinelli.com/index.php?p=news&title=wild-rides-s-box-installation

If you want even more pictures, he has 124 pictures available in his gallery here:

http://www.mikemartinelli.com/index.php?album=My-Car-Pics/Tech/S-boxInstall/

I couldn't find anything of a similar magnitude that covers the lower S-box installation, but this one will get the idea across pretty well:

http://www.stangtv.com/project-cars/project-666/wild-rides-s-box-torque-box-on-project-666-fox-body-mustang/

I'm very interested in getting further discussion going on this and am really hoping for some kind of indication on the likelihood of these parts getting approved or not by the time Nationals this year rolls around. Multiregional face-to-face discussion about this AT Nationals would be great too. The reason I'd like to get this going is because I have a fox that I have scheduled for a cage installation at my fabricator right after Nationals. That would be the perfect time to also install these pieces if they are allowed in the rules.

The car I'm planning on building this off-season currently has zero problems with the torque boxes that I can see. But I know the previous owner ran nitrous and did occasionally drag race this car. That throws up a red flag for me.

As a result of that knowledge, I already purchased the Wild Rides Battle Boxes torque box reinforcement kit for my car when they became legal with the last CMC rules modification. My plan was for my fabricator to weld them in for me this fall. But honestly, after looking at several different installation threads showing the installation of the reinforcement kits and and comparing it to the installation of the S-boxes that replace the entire torque box structures, it seems to me that the difference in labor between the two, if there is any, is going to be minimal. So either way, labor costs are likely to be similar. The real difference is in the initial cash outlay for the parts. The S-box is about $500 more than a complete Battle Box reinforcement kit. But I figure if that $500 up front now keeps me from the hassle of having to go back and eventually fix things later at some unknown time when things eventually break, that's well worth the piece of mind it will bring.

Scott, I just sent an e-mail to Wild Rides asking them which mounting points will provide the stock geometry. If I don't have a response from them by tomorrow afternoon I will give them a call...

If I do have a response I will post a copy of their response in this thread.

I spoke with the folks at Wild Rides today regarding the geometry provided by the upper and lower "S-Box". Very, very nice people, by the way...

With the "three hole" upper "S-Box" the center hole provides the stock geometry for the UCA. I didn't ask about the "five hole" since there is no need as we are interested in maintaining stock geometry.

With the lower "S-Box" the second hole from the bottom will provide the stock geometry for the LCA.

Cool. So the 3-hole units are still available. Did they happen to mention any price difference between the 3-hole and the 5-hole units? If these are approved, I wonder if we can get a discount with a group buy?

Cool. So the 3-hole units are still available. Did they happen to mention any price difference between the 3-hole and the 5-hole units? If these are approved, I wonder if we can get a discount with a group buy?

When I spoke to the fella he ask me if I had the 3 hole upper or the 5 hole... I told him the three hole as that is what I had seen in the past. I didn't even think to ask whether, or not, the 3 hole uppers are still available. I can't imagine there would be much of a cost difference, if any, between the 3 hole and the 5 hole...

I did not catch the fella's name that I spoke to on the phone as I had some static on my cell at the beginning of the call. However, he was very polite and told me to just give them a call anytime if I needed any help with suspension.

When I spoke to the fella he ask me if I had the 3 hole upper or the 5 hole... I told him the three hole as that is what I had seen in the past. I didn't even think to ask whether, or not, the 3 hole uppers are still available. I can't imagine there would be much of a cost difference, if any, between the 3 hole and the 5 hole...

I did not catch the fella's name that I spoke to on the phone as I had some static on my cell at the beginning of the call. However, he was very polite and told me to just give them a call anytime if I needed any help with suspension.