Just want to make sure...

37Stang

I am about to start "plugging" the holes in the firewall of my SN95 and just want to double check to make sure my method is legal... Under the following rule:

7.25.4 The heater core may be bypassed and/or the entire heater box assembly may be removed. This

includes all hoses, lines, ducts, coils, and controls. Any resulting holes in the firewall must be plugged or

covered adequately to maintain the integrity of the firewall. Tape is not an acceptable covering.

Is it permitted to "plug" the holes in the firewall by cutting sheet metal the size of the hole and butt welding into the holes?

Also, I would like to run a "generic" Griffin circle track radiator. In order to do so I would have to cut the "factory" SN95 radiator mounts off of the bottom of the core support and fabricate mounts for the "generic" radiator. According to the following rule this may not be permitted:

7.8.9 Any unused under-hood brackets and plastic components that can be unbolted (not cut) may be

removed.

The "factory" radiator brackets would no longer be used...

However, under the following rule it appears doing such modification may be permitted as it would certainly not be a "major" modification... There is no modification to the core support other than removing the welded "factory" brackets.

7.25.1 Any radiator may be used provided it fits in the stock location and requires no major body or structure

modifications to install.

I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything during the build outside of the rules...

Sounds fine. To help be more positive, post a pic of the bracket in question.

Glenn... I am going out to the shop in a bit and will get a few pics. However, I may need some help posting them as that exceeds my level of technical ability. LOL!!!

Ok... I hope this works. These are the two lower radiator brackets that are spot welded to the lower core support. What I would like to do is to remove these brackets and fabricate brackets that will "cradle" the bottom of the radiator that would allow the use of a Griffin "generic" circle track radiator...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201259471082737&set=a.10201259471042736.1073741825.1650656423&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201259474242816&set=a.10201259471042736.1073741825.1650656423&type=3&theater

Pull up the pic ypu want to use in facebook. Right click on that pic and sele t properties. That is the link youn want to use.

Glenn... I can not get the Facebook download to work so did it with Photobucket.

Here are the brackets I was talking about:

DSCF0593.jpg

DSCF0592.jpg

I say your ok to remove those as long it is because they will be in the way of the rad you plan to use and not removed for weight reduction reasons. I would also keep them on a shelf or something in case you want to put them back on.

I say your ok to remove those as long it is because they will be in the way of the rad you plan to use and not removed for weight reduction reasons. I would also keep them on a shelf or something in case you want to put them back on.

Cool deal Glenn... Thanks!!!

Last fall I bought a SN95 CMC car that had a history of overheating.....bought a much bigger radiator and a buddy made brackets that hold the radiator in place USING those 2 brackets your contemplating cutting off. Basically the radiator sits on those with additional brackets holding the radiator in place.

Last fall I bought a SN95 CMC car that had a history of overheating.....bought a much bigger radiator and a buddy made brackets that hold the radiator in place USING those 2 brackets your contemplating cutting off. Basically the radiator sits on those with additional brackets holding the radiator in place.

What size radiator did you end up using?

I am considering the 31x19...

After looking at the pictures I was thinking sort of the same thing. To be honest, I never really paid that much attention to the brackets I had just assumed I would be cutting them off. But before I remove anything from the car that requires cutting I go over the rules to make sure none are being violated.

That's what I used........ griffen 31 x 19 x 3

I think that is a similar one to what I run. Summitt sells one for about $190 that fits just inside the stock area.

I took out one that barely fit in the stock area that the previous owner said over heated the car (competitors confirmed the car often overheated)......the new one doesn't come close to fitting in the stock location. (griffen 56272 I think)

I took out one that barely fit in the stock area that the previous owner said over heated the car (competitors confirmed the car often overheated)......the new one doesn't come close to fitting in the stock location. (griffen 56272 I think)

Are you saying the 31x19 will not fit at all?

Or, just that it will not fit in the "stock" locations with the "stock" brackets?

Or, just that it will not fit in the "stock" locations with the "stock" brackets?

My 31 x 19 x 3 is sitting ON those 2 brackets pictured above (that were being considered for cutting off). Additional brackets were made to hold the radiator in place ON them. The radiator is too big to fit IN the stock location.

My 31 x 19 x 3 is sitting ON those 2 brackets pictured above (that were being considered for cutting off). Additional brackets were made to hold the radiator in place ON them. The radiator is too big to fit IN the stock location.

Gotcha... Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it...

While on the topic of "just making sure"...

I ran across a thread from a while back regarding Steeda X2 ball joints. The thread mentioned that the Steeda X2's are NOT legal replacements.

I could not find anything in the rules that specifically addressed ball joints. So, before placing an order I just want to make sure, has there been a rule change that now permits the use of the Steeda ball joints?

I ran across a thread from a while back regarding Steeda X2 ball joints. The thread mentioned that the Steeda X2's are NOT legal replacements.

I could not find anything in the rules that specifically addressed ball joints. So, before placing an order I just want to make sure, has there been a rule change that now permits the use of the Steeda ball joints?

Not legal.

Not legal.

Thanks Glenn...