Just want to make sure...

37Stang

You guys do know that the steeda units are identical to the 89-93 fox joints and also the later crown Victoria's also. They just put a fancy boot on them and made them shiny. The sn95 body style was when they shortened the stem.

You guys do know that the steeda units are identical to the 89-93 fox joints and also the later crown Victoria's also. They just put a fancy boot on them and made them shiny. The sn95 body style was when they shortened the stem.

Mmmmm... ...almost, sorta, maybe. I haven't been convinced yet.

The following are pictures comparing the SN95 ball joint to the Steeda X2 and the SN95 to the Fox. What I don't have is a picture or the actual dimensions (that is going to be the key here) that compares the X2 to the Fox unit. From the pictures about all you can tell is that the threads are different.

Consider the following...

Replacement parts must be original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or others of equivalent OEM specifications. (i.e. – OEM replacement parts from any retailer are allowed provided they meet OEM specifications and do not offer a performance improvement over the OEM part they replace.)

From Steeda:

Steeda X2 and X5 Balljoint kits for 1994-2009 Mustangs that provide an easy fix to correct the problem that every lowered Mustang will experience. Our X2 / X5 Balljoints improve your vehicle’s suspension geometry on by raising the spindle relative to the balljoint pivot-point. This in turn raises the vehicle’s roll center back into the correct range for optimum handling, resulting in reduced body roll, quicker steering response and improved front tire grip – all key components for maximum vehicle performance.

Ooo... that doesn't look too promising. If you need a more extensive description, click HERE to go to the Steeda site.

So then the next questions are:

- Are the Fox, Crown Vic, and Steeda X2 ball joints all dimensionally identical, can they therefore be used interchangeably and qualify as OEM replacement, and/or can they be used as an update/backdate part?

Partial Answer: Looking it up in the vehicle fitment guide found on Autozone online, the '79-'93 Fox ball joint is identical to and is an OEM replacment for the '87-'94 Crown Vic ball joint, and the '94-'04 SN95 ball joint is identical to and is an OEM replacement for the '95-'02 Crown Vic. So that much I can verify.

A common fox Mustang brake/suspension upgrade is to utilize the '94-'95 spindles on the OEM fox control arms and ball joints, but to do so you have to put a stack of washers in there that amounts to a 0.330" spacer in order to get the castle nut to tighten down on the spindle because the stud is longer. However, you can't make a fox spindle fit on an SN95 ball joint because the stud is too short. So the potential up update to the SN95 spindle on a fox ball joint has been demonstrated.

Only two questions left.

1. Is the Steeda X2 dimensionally identical to the fox ball joint?

I have no idea. I don't have a list of dimensions and haven't measured them myself.

2. Can a fox ball joint be pressed into an SN95 control arm?

Again, I have no idea. I've never tried it and I don't have a list of dimensions to see if they would fit. I have a pair of loose fox ball joints in their boxes and a pair of '04 Cobra lower front control arms that currently have their OEM ball joints residing in them (not going to remove them at this point) that I can take some rough measurements from.

So, IF the Steeda X2 ball joint is dimensionally identical to the '79-'93 Mustang ('87-'94 Crown Vic) ball joint, AND the fox ball joints could physically replace the SN95 ('95-'02 Crown Vic) ball joint in a pair of OEM '04 Cobra control arms, then the Steeda X2 ball joint could be used. Correct? If it fails either of those tests, then it could not be used. Correct?

x2-balljoint-md.jpg

........Steeda X2.........................SN95

balljoints.jpg

I honestly think they are interchangeable but I'm sticking with the oem factory units until all that mess is sorted out with rcr's etc

Right click on that pic and sele t properties.

Why?

Being a newbie with only 3 posts, can you please add at least your name and location so we can all determine if you're a real person or a spambot?

Introducing yourself in your first post to the forum would have been even better.