2014 rules RCR #1

Al F.

Two comments:

Regarding cost of a CMC car, compare costs to other "spec type" (or cost containment) series cars. I repeatedly see CMC cars listed for sale for $5,000 to $8,000 with others being higher, but most fall in that range. This seems very reasonable in my mind, and yes it can cost more then that to build, but those are options.

I think its safe to assume that cost containment is one of main reasons we are in CMC, but is definitely is not the only reason. Consider maintenance, close racing, great racers, equal cars, ease to build, ease to get parts, fun per dollar, etc....And lets not confuse initial cost with overall/projected costs. Many items cost a few dollars upfront, but save more money and time (repairing, replacing, fabricating) over a longer period of time. Keep in mind not all CMC racers are bona-fide mechanics, so off the shelf solutions shouldn't be throw out automatically because of initial costs.

Brake blowers:

Don't do it. They don't work as cooling components for front brake rotors. Someone (cough...Carriage House Custom) installed brake blowers on my AI car. First couple hard laps at Road America, and I had brake fade going into Canada corner. Pulled the blowers and ran straight thru ducts and no problems ever since. As TJ mentioned blowers simply don't move enough air to be effective as front brake coolers.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boudy1548534717

• suck fumes1548534743

• MHISSTC

• FBody383

Your car has absolutely nothing to do with a single point I've made.

Boudy

Edit: In fact it's the S-197 that has caused the majority of cost escalation to everyone else. Including this brake issue.

I think its hard for Aaron to believe that there are discussions about CMC that don't pertain to him.

No I believe it haha. It just seems like some of this got stirred up after nationals but hey I've been wrong before.

No I believe it haha. It just seems like some of this got stirred up after nationals but hey I've been wrong before.

Nope, happens nearly every year about his time.