What's being done to promote CMC?

Steve91T

How does one build a CMC car? The answer is, get the rules out and start reading. That doesn't help anybody. There are so many people on this forum who have tons of experience. Why can't some of you grab a beer and start typing. Give the basics of what it takes. Remove this, don't touch this, buy this, not that. That's why I think spec E30 is attractive to some people. They tell you exactly how to build the car. I know our series isn't a spec series, but there's only a few platforms. How to build a CMC 4th gen. How to build a CMC 3rd gen. How to build a CMC fox body....etc. Why hasn't this been done yet? Not everybody knows how to build a race car. I sure as hell don't!

I ***REALLY**** like this idea. I tried to keep track of my own build on my personal website (see sig), but was unable to continue it due to time constraints. I think the issue with this is the amount of information and organizing all of it. I honestly don't know 1/10th of what some of the other guys on here do. Unfortunately, THAT info is no where to be found easily. A lot of it is personal experience which is difficult to translate into a web thread.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve91T

• cozog1548534733

• wastntim

• Glenn

BTW the secret to EASY advertising is Facebook. posting vids and racing sories/writups, then having all your racing fb friends share them. Easiest way to get the CMC name out to many people.

• Members
Don't bring the broken car argument in here, that shit is lame.

I'm sorry I thought the topic was about what could draw in additional members. If having rules that allow for reliable cars is lame, then CMC is clearly on the path to a short life span.

Or not, because it's thrived now for how long? I don't suck at wrenching, plain and simple. NOBODY in my region has these reliability issues and I don't anticipate I ever will (as persistently as you have). I could go on, but I won't.

Furthermore, why type here what's already typed in the rules? Read them 1000x like I have! Then read them again! Then ask a question when you don't understand the rules. Nobody should have to spoon feed anybody, we're all grown-ups and I suspect the guys with the experience to answer questions off the top of their head have already read the rules 1000x, so why should you be spared that? In my line of work, if I don't know the answer to something, I look it up. Why? Because if I don't, I look like an asshole who doesn't know his job. I've decided that it's prudent to bring that train of thought here as well.

Don't bring the broken car argument in here, that shit is lame.

I'm sorry I thought the topic was about what could draw in additional members. If having rules that allow for reliable cars is lame, then CMC is clearly on the path to a short life span.

Or not, because it's thrived now for how long? I don't suck at wrenching, plain and simple. NOBODY in my region has these reliability issues and I don't anticipate I ever will (as persistently as you have). I could go on, but I won't.

Furthermore, why type here what's already typed in the rules? Read them 1000x like I have! Then read them again! Then ask a question when you don't understand the rules. Nobody should have to spoon feed anybody, we're all grown-ups and I suspect the guys with the experience to answer questions off the top of their head have already read the rules 1000x, so why should you be spared that? In my line of work, if I don't know the answer to something, I look it up. Why? Because if I don't, I look like an asshole who doesn't know his job. I've decided that it's prudent to bring that train of thought here as well.

Are you saying why have a "how to" section because everything you need is in the rules?

If you are, my comment is that the rules say "you can remove the dash and gut everything inside". It doesn't tell you how to do it. Repair books help, but they are written with a different goal in mind.

A lot of the stuff we are doing is very differnt. What's the best way to mount trunk pins? How many hood pins and where do they go? That's all stuff that would be great to have on this site.

That is what platform specific sites are for.

www.frrax.com is great one for f-bodies.

I'm there all the time. You have to be careful because it's not CMC specific. Again, all this information needs to be on this site, not hunting for it elsewhere.

If we tell you here the stuff behind the dash can be removed then go to an f-body site and find out how.

That is the best method. I come here for CMC info. Not info on how to remove a dash in a Fox mustang. That has been covered to death. No reason to rehash it here.

If we tell you here the stuff behind the dash can be removed then go to an f-body site and find out how.

That is the best method. I come here for CMC info. Not info on how to remove a dash in a Fox mustang. That has been covered to death. No reason to rehash it here.

If not a dedicated "how to" section, how about a sticky post of links to build sites, vendors, etc.?

You need to look at it from the lowest level of knowledge. A guy who loves his Mustang/Camaro/Firebird and wants to get into racing. He knows little to nothing about engine repair, body work or rear ends, let alone building an entire race car.

I was that guy just a few years ago and I made a lot of dumb mistakes and wasted a lot of time and money doing things the wrong way because it IS hard to find info.

Let's make things as easy as we can for all the new guys in that situation.

Why? Because if I don't, I look like an asshole

Uh oh, too late.

Seems like you run in a magical region in which no one has car problems. It's a utopia for racers. If only I could live in this magical land.

Quite frankly, I think this forum has lost a lot and I'm just about done participating in it as I am tired of reading people who make ignorant and degrading posts when I am trying suggest things which would make the class more appealing to prospective racers.

• Members
Why? Because if I don't, I look like an asshole

Uh oh, too late.

Seems like you run in a magical region in which no one has car problems. It's a utopia for racers. If only I could live in this magical land.

Quite frankly, I think this forum has lost a lot and I'm just about done participating in it as I am tired of reading people who make ignorant and degrading posts when I am trying suggest things which would make the class more appealing to prospective racers.

Never said that. What you're implying is that we spoon-feed the non-car guys and the guys whose engine swaps didn't turn out right. That's not quite what this forum is as Glenn has indicated, but that doesn't mean we can't do that nonetheless. I just don't do it here. All your whiny ass bitching is bringing out the fuck you side of me. Despite that, I'd still be inclined to helping you with your car were I local to you. I don't keep my abilities to myself. I wouldn't hesitate to help someone change an engine out overnight if they produced one in the pits.

Dont worry about Supercharged, he's got all of one points race under his belt. He'll go through what we've all gone through with our cars at some point.

Because I've never turned a wrench in my life Dave? It's a car, like all the others I've kept alive. Just like the way Scott keeps the pumpkin alive for you. Sure, shit happens but there's no reason this car should be any less dependable than the Z06 once all the bugs are out. At this point, I'm a solid 90% there.

• Members

Back on the subject of CMC promotion though, are we attempting to promote CMC within NASA or CMC to people who've never heard of NASA? Because aside from google and common sense, I don't know how word is getting out about NASA locally myself. I've yet to see an ad, I just did my research on how to go about racing/tracking and chose NASA over SCCA. As far as winning over people who want to go racing, IMO you're not likely to win a guy over who's HPDE'd a Mini Cooper or a Hyundai Genesis. To me it seems most just find their way on their own, what say you who've joined CMC yourselves? My Corvette (the car I HPDE'd) purchase was a borderline fluke, it was the wife's futile attempt to keep me out of the garage by getting a car that was strong out of the box. It was my realistic dream car, but even more realistically I would have bought a pony car over the vette. I kind of feel I was destined for this all along.

....You need to look at it from the lowest level of knowledge. A guy who loves his Mustang/Camaro/Firebird and wants to get into racing. He knows little to nothing about engine repair, body work or rear ends, let alone building an entire race car.

I was that guy just a few years ago and I made a lot of dumb mistakes and wasted a lot of time and money doing things the wrong way because it IS hard to find info.

Let's make things as easy as we can for all the new guys in that situation.

Concur, coming from someone that's interested in jumping in but lacks any significant mechanical knowledge.

I don't need to be carried but a spoon full or two to get started will help out quite a bit. And if it keeps me from spending money fixing my mistakes, I'm more apt to promote my positive experiences with CMC to other like-minded suckers.

Concur, coming from someone that's interested in jumping in but lacks any significant mechanical knowledge.

I don't need to be carried but a spoon full or two to get started will help out quite a bit. And if it keeps me from spending money fixing my mistakes, I'm more apt to promote my positive experiences with CMC to other like-minded suckers.

For now, I would strongly encourage you to reach out the RM region guys and ask for help. Despite the bickering and bad attitudes on the forum, the CMC racers are THE BEST at helping fellow racers. We ALL want more cars on track to race against. It's no fun doing laps by yourself.

Start with your regional director (Brad Densmore, cobrad5757 AT gmail.com, phone in back of rule book). Call or email Brad and I bet he can get you pointed in the right direction.

Welcome to the CMC family! You're life will be changed forever.

Thanks. I'll be chatting with Brad and other RM members as I get more serious about pulling the trigger. And despite Supercharged rugged online persona, he's warm and snuggly in person

Having a forum should be a huge boost to the series but over the past couple years this forum has done really nothing but hurt the series IMO. Every time I look over the forum all I see are the same four or five people beating the same dead horse for months on end (looking directly at you wheel thread) and doing nothing but seemingly b*tch and moan all day because they can't get their way. A little open discussion is always good, but certain people have to put their stamp on every little thing and it just brings this whole forum and series down. New people should look at this forum and see good things about the series, like the help competitors give each other or the camaraderie, but in reality all they see are people complaining and yelling at each other.

I agree. But the video section is a start, and a good one.

I still feel we need to get a FAQ section that's front a center. I can't figure out why we aren't bragging about how this is the cheapest way to race.

And a "tips and tricks" or "how to" would be great. The simple fact is the more we have on this forum the better.

• 1 month later...

Start with your regional director (Brad Densmore, cobrad5757 AT gmail.com, phone in back of rule book). Call or email Brad and I bet he can get you pointed in the right direction.

Welcome to the CMC family! You're life will be changed forever.

Thanks, Todd.

JP please call me when you get a chance. 719-499-4321

As to the first question, how to promote CMC. It's grass roots level promotion, word of mouth. That's how I got here, from HPDE talking to a guy who directed me to a CMC guy...and I think it's still the same here now. As to how to build a car if you don't know how, ask. Find a couple guys in your region or in a different region that have the same car as you. I know all of our CMC guys here in the Rocky Mountain Region are ready to help someone with questions as to how to get started.

Brad Densmore

• 2 months later...

I haven't been on this forum for over a year. I was interested in getting into CMC and then the Army moved me to Fort Lewis, WA where it rains 300 days out of the year. Then they moved me to Germany. Kinda hard to get into CMC here.

Its a little funny. Nov 2012 when I was first interested in getting into CMC I posted this asking for advice on how to setup and build a 4th Gen. I was extremely motivated then, and I am still very interested in getting into it when I finally move back to Fort Hood, TX.

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4300&highlight=

Reading your thread made me read through this one. Not to dig up old dirt but I see a lot of people suggested having a tech section, and there was no response except what amounts to a simple "no". Why?

This is a really bizarre line of thinking to me. It might be natural for folks who have been racing / working on a Camaro or Mustang for a long while feel this way, but consider this: I just bought my first Mustang and will be building it with the idea of potentially racing CMC in the future. I've never laid a wrench on one before. I feel I'm capable of doing my own research, and I'm sure I'll be getting some good help from local racers (already reached out to Brad), but to see a regional director say "this has been covered to death" and tell me to go elsewhere for advice is extremely disheartening. Those forums aren't CMC specific---they aren't going to know the answer to questions like "what kind of intake can I upgrade to on (insert car here) without going over the power limit?" or "is anyone racing CMC with (insert part here) and how has it held up?"

It's natural for certain tech questions to get asked over and over again. What's wrong with the idea of a tech section with pinned posts to answer some of those questions? Even if the posts just contain links to threads on other forums. If the vets don't have time then it could be as easy as newbies like me posting everything I've found useful.

Reading your thread made me read through this one. Not to dig up old dirt but I see a lot of people suggested having a tech section, and there was no response except what amounts to a simple "no". Why?

This is a really bizarre line of thinking to me. It might be natural for folks who have been racing / working on a Camaro or Mustang for a long while feel this way, but consider this: I just bought my first Mustang and will be building it with the idea of potentially racing CMC in the future. I've never laid a wrench on one before. I feel I'm capable of doing my own research, and I'm sure I'll be getting some good help from local racers (already reached out to Brad), but to see a regional director say "this has been covered to death" and tell me to go elsewhere for advice is extremely disheartening. Those forums aren't CMC specific---they aren't going to know the answer to questions like "what kind of intake can I upgrade to on (insert car here) without going over the power limit?" or "is anyone racing CMC with (insert part here) and how has it held up?"

It's natural for certain tech questions to get asked over and over again. What's wrong with the idea of a tech section with pinned posts to answer some of those questions? Even if the posts just contain links to threads on other forums. If the vets don't have time then it could be as easy as newbies like me posting everything I've found useful.

You read a lot into my post.

If it is a rules related question, this is the place to ask.

As I said before, if your looking for info on how a dash comes out of a car, go to a forum about that car and search or ask. If you need to know how much of the stock dash must remain, ask here.

Clear??