vinman

Yok Advan A048??

vinman

OK, I've already gathered this is a decent tire. It's also the only 12in tire I can find for the wheels on my mini - and I'm having to have them shipped from the UK. My real question is who shaves them. I'll be using them in NASA-X events and the odd SOLO II. They will be race day tires, so wet traction for everyday driving is not a concern. I want to know who is doing it and whether it is actually beneficial.

Thanks,

Vince

RussTypeS

I've never head of any of the elise guys shaving the A048, why do you think they need it? I would leave them unshaved.

jwalter

I've never heard of them being shaved either.

They are molded at 6/32 and are single block.

I don't think it's necessary. Unless you just want to cord them faster.

I would also consider the legality of the tire. Those tires are not DOT approved, so whatever you run, check with the regulations about what tire you can run.

vinman

Jeffery,

What makes you think they are not DOT rated? The Advan A048 is readily available here, just not this particular size. It is an R compound, so I know I'll get points for it, but I'm curious about the DOT thing...

Thanks,

Vince

Thanks for the thoughts regarding shaving! So far it's unanimous...

jwalter

Although theoretically the tire is the same except for size, unless the tire has a little dot stamp on the side of the tire it is not approved.

The exact tire (size, compound, etc) has to be approved by the DOT.

I don't think it would be a big deal, especially of you just want to run regionally, but there may be some class specific rules that prohibit it.

The prepared classes usually allow any kind of tire, slick, treaded, etc...but stock and street classes require dot certification.

vinman

Jeffery,

Ok, there is a similar topic being discussed on one of the mini forums regarding a Falken street tire. The main concern there being the potential for an accident involving a fatality and the legal nightmare that could result. Fortunately it is all hypothetical, but nonetheless...

As far as the mini in SCCA, as of 2006, all the classic minis will be lumped in G Prepared. My car isn't stock anyway, so it looks like I would skirt that potential tech issue. I can't find anything in NASA regarding this sort of technicality, so hopefully a tech inspector would judge on the side of what would seem common sense. If it were some exotic, unheard of tire - or something baked in my oven in the basement, I would see cause for concern. Here's to hoping it'll never be an issue...

Thanks for the ideas!

Vince

vinman

Ok - you guys are pretty sharp! I called Yokohama today and their official stance is these tires DO NOT need shaving. After asking specifically, I was also told that as long as the tires are being used EXCLUSIVELY in the dry that they could be flipped on the rims as they wear. All good news as far as I'm concerned...

Thanks for all the input!

Vince