Toyo RR tire life? Set-up changes?

Glenn

So what type of tire life are you guys seeing?

Texas will be on the RR for CMC for the first time at the end of April at TWS. So we will know more then as a collective group.

Some guys here have been running them already at non-CMC events. AI and SI have been using them at NASA events already, so there is some data to be passed around.

So would anyone be willing to post what set-up changes they had to make to use the tire? Camber, caster, cold PSI, hot PSI?

For RA1's, I always seemed to be on the low side. 23-26 cold depending on ambient air temps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

This post reminded me of how awesome it would be to get a good discussion and knowledge sharing about these new RRs. Every region has had these available for a while now I know there are plenty of drivers that have learned what these RRs like and what they dont. So, how about sharing what you know; pressures, alignment settings, rotating, heat cycling, total cycles before they drop off...what do you know or think you know?

Hey Guys:

Got Married and have moved to Houston (Actually Sugarland)--Just drove by TWS last weekend for my first A&M game. That was fun. If someone has a car they want to rent.....

• Members

Holy shit, really Brady? Wow...never would've thought

Give me a call man

Now, about those tires...come on guys, help out your buds. I spent some time talking to the miata guys last time out (they've been running them for a lot longer than we have) and all the fast guys are firm believers in doing a good heat cycle on them. They also seem to not be as crazy about rotating them as it was originally thought to be necessary.

What have you guys experienced?

I've only been racing 18 months and still have plenty to learn regarding car setup.......I'm competitive but bought a great car and haven't changed anything yet!

Anyway, I needed tires early this season so I was the first one in MA on RR's.....no setup changes. Initially the car hooked up great til I finally pushed too hard and promptly left the track. Learned they don't slide like RA1s.........well, they do, but only after a couple weekends. As for tire Iife, I never had a clue how many heat cycles my RA1s had but kept count for the RRs. After a dozen heat cycles they seemed to slow some.......currently at 22 cycles and not sure they have another weekend left in them. Planning on a mustang club track day this weekend to recruit drivers and play with the car......we'll see if the tires are gone after then.

BTW: ran them 12 cycles then rotated on the rims and swapped around. Wear is not that even so I'll put tires where the rubber is needed most.

Got Married and have moved to Houston
Congrats
for my first A&M game.
Congrats
... if someone has a car they want to rent.....
You know we don't joke about that and the first '15 event is mid Jan.

Now back on topic...

What have you guys experienced?
I've been waiting too... But, with the rain and cooler ambient at TWS and the cool weather at ECR, I believe (ok, I know 'cause I was there) there was a certain Mustang that set a couple of track records on not necessarily new RRs.

My takeaway is that they are going to be very fast once you/we/I find a setup that keeps them in their effective temperature range.

I'm curious to see how the tires stand up throughout 2015 when I have a chance to compare lap times with new and old RR's. I have run 1 set of RR's for the last 3 1/2 events of 2014 and have both hated them and loved them.

TWS in April - brand new, I ran them in practice, qual, and then blew the motor in lap 1 of the race. I couldn't get a good grasp on them in qual b/c the motor was so down on power and my times were off pace.

Hallett in June - Heat cycle #3 - 8. It was crazy hot at 95 degrees, high humidity, and an almost new track surface. The car felt terrible with a turn-in push that I have never experienced ever racing. I could not ever get the car to feel good and I ran b/w .5 - 1 second / lap slower than what I have run the past 4 years.

My guess is the new track surface and hot temps made it difficult.

TWS in October - Heat cycle #9 - 13. Had rain for part of the event so I didn't count those sessions as heat cycles. The rest of the event was very cool in the 60's/70's. I set the track record by about .5 seconds and beat my best time there by about 1 1/2 seconds.

ECR in November - Heat cycle #14 - 22. Super cool weather for the whole weekend in the high 40's to high 60's. I set the track record by about 3/4 of a second during the last race of the event on heat cycle #22.

I inspect the tires after each day and rotate LF/RR and RF/LR as needed. I have actually never flipped the tires but probably will need to if I want them to last another event.

I do feel the RR's wear a lot better than the RA1's as these RR's will probably make another event if I had to run them.

I am running about 3 lbs more air pressure in the RR's over the RA1's.

The only thing I can think is maybe the RR's like cooler temps and the RA1's do better in the higher temps.

At the first event next year I plan to run back-to-back sessions with new RR's and the 22HC tires to see the difference.

I'm curious to hear what others are seeing with their RR's.

I am running about 3 lbs more air pressure in the RR's over the RA1's.

GL/MW is usually running the opposite... 3-4 lbs. less than RA1 from last year. At least most everyone I talk to. Rear spring rate will factor in to your pressure setting, but in general we run lower pressures, like dropping from 27-28 starting press. to around 23-24 starting press.

Personally, I ran the same set of RR tires from May to Oct, rotating properly. Still had good grip and feel in Oct. They seem to be lasting a bit longer to me. Gonna flip em and see what happens in April 2015.