My Rocky Mountain Rookie Videos

Dustin M.

• Members

Finally threw down on a Gopro, here's 2 of the 4 from last weekend. They take FOREVER to convert, edit, export, and upload with GoPro's software (I'm open to suggestions).

Race #1: started 4th, traded positions back and forth with Brad, finished 4th.

Race #2: started 4th, somehow got freight trained on the infield, never recovered, finished 5th.

Now that the official results are out, I won $150 in Toyo Bucks over the weekend!

So I just now noticed that we can't embed the videos in here?

• Members

I'm having an insane amount of trouble getting Sunday's race 1 to convert properly, so if anyone has any suggestions that'd be great. Here's Sunday's race 2. Started 4th, finished 3rd, lost my ass on the standing start!

• Members

Go on. . . by the way did you watch Saturday or Sunday? The car turned in much better on Sunday, that's the 3rd video.

I don't know what to tell him cause I haven't seen the car. Just from the video it seems it could benefit from some spring/shock testing and tuning.

• Members

I've done 2 things in my life to a car's setup in an attempt to make it go around corners faster. 1st was adding 2 degrees of negative camber to my supercharged Trueno (Corolla) coupe in Japan, 2nd was last weekend with the toe out. I was hoping for a little direction, like "try a softer spring" or "try less damping on the compression stroke". I don't know if I should start with corner entry or mid corner, the former being a transient and having different requirements than the latter. As is, the car is competitive, but there's always more. I'm hoping for that "aha!" moment when suddenly the car is just faster than everyone else's.

I've done 2 things in my life to a car's setup in an attempt to make it go around corners faster. 1st was adding 2 degrees of negative camber to my supercharged Trueno (Corolla) coupe in Japan, 2nd was last weekend with the toe out. I was hoping for a little direction, like "try a softer spring" or "try less damping on the compression stroke". I don't know if I should start with corner entry or mid corner, the former being a transient and having different requirements than the latter. As is, the car is competitive, but there's always more. I'm hoping for that "aha!" moment when suddenly the car is just faster than everyone else's.

Post your set-up.

• Members

Let my ignorance shine! I'm only just now getting to the point of paying close attention to this. I'll need to verify part numbers on the springs to know the rates for sure, but I'm told they're 1100-1150 up front and 250-275 out back, Unbalanced Engineering shocks, rear end supposed to be just under .5* camber, front alignment is 1/8" toe out, 2.25-2.5* camber, caster is what it is. I was thinking of going after the UCA mounts to shoot for 7* caster and see how that feels since that should give me even better turn in and ought to marginally decrease scrub (which I also want to calculate). Unless eccentrics exist for the UCAs? Then I could get my caster with the turn of a wrench and not have to cut anything.

Too much spring rate on the front. Too much camber for any spring rate, much less for what you have. Caster should not exceed 5 at most. More with lower camber numbers, higher w/ less camber.

Your front and rear rates are too far apart.

Wanna chat more, call me. Number is listed in the rulebook.

Holy crap! You run 1100 pd front! There's your problem right there. You might as well remove the shock cause the car won't even flex with those springs.

• Members

I get plenty of body roll, that was the first thing I noticed when I took the car on track. Thinking back, the front had a lot of movement which I figured was due to the car being so low with no roll center correction. It wasn't as flat and confidence inspiring as the Corvette. Now that I'm used to it, it's no big deal and when things get loose, I find it relatively easy to deal with. Haven't spun it yet! *knocks on wood* I checked the front springs, they're Eibach 45038 which doesn't exist. The other number I found is 0800.250 which is an 8" long spring that's 2.5" in diameter but the rest of the number seems to be absent which is the rate. FML. Same story out back, they're blue Hyperco springs but I don't see anything else on them. How does one determine spring rate? I know my local machine shop can put valve springs on a machine to tell me the rate, what do I do for suspension springs? Aside from email Eibach.

If the fronts are eibachs there should have been another three digit number on the end which is your rate. Ex: 800.250.xxx

Leary's has worked with our CMC group in the past. Can you contact them to see if they can provide you with any insight on what you have or what you should be running? They would likely also be able to check your spring rates for you and be able to provide anything you might need.

• Members

Scott Leary's had crossed my mind, but they are Denver. I got smart and asked the roundy round crowd about this and apparently there's a guy 15 minutes from my house who can check my spring rates as they're unfortunately not etched into the ends of the spring either.

Thanks Randy. The race director of the day will demand/collect the forms. Used to be Dave Balingit, but lately it's been Dave Dirks. Don't worry, they'll hunt you down at tech. We used to race in thunder with AI and SU (roundy round cars mostly), but the last 2 events we haven't quite had enough of everyone to have our own group. AI was dead last year, and this year there are 3 AI cars running (though 1 is working through HPDE ranks at the moment in a fully prepped car). I think turnout will be higher for Pueblo so we may be back to running in the Thunder group again. If there is a silver lining to running with Lightning, it's that we got an extra race out of the weekend by having 2 groups as opposed to 3.

Scott Leary's had crossed my mind, but they are Denver. I got smart and asked the roundy round crowd about this and apparently there's a guy 15 minutes from my house who can check my spring rates as they're unfortunately not etched into the ends of the spring either.

Good plan. Etching the spring rate into the end of the springs is a really good idea!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Totally different level of confidence with this track, totally different flow too. I also wasn't as strong at the end here as I was at the last one. I did make my first man pass instead of waiting for something to be handed to me.

• 4 months later...