EricMeyer

NASA MIDWEST ENDURO IDEAS FOR 2006

EricMeyer

Please post your ideas, thoughts, concerns and such regarding enduros during our 2006 season.

Interested in running 1 enduro? (yes/no):

An entire series of Enduros?:

For racers---what time of the day/when do we run this event so it does not conflict with racing/points?:

What track/tracks (if only running 1 Enduro):

What day of the weekend and/or time should we run it (Sat/Sun, AM/PM)?:

How long (miles/time):

Who else/what other drivers/clubs, etc. might be interested in an Enduro:?

Championship end of year event?:

Wacky alternative ideas/other:

D Algozine

An Enduro always sounds like a great idea, but for me, there never is a good weekend or time of day that works. Having it before our sprint race is no good, and usually at the end of the day I'm pretty beat or making changes or adjustments for Sudnays race. Most people load up and hit the road as early as possible on Sunday. The chance of wrecking, breaking something, or blowing an engine during a Saturday enduro, which would knock me out of Sundays race, is always a major consern. I would run an enduro if is was seperate from the regular race weekend, ideally after the points race season. I believe Midwest council does thier "Long race" at the end of the season. A 4-10 hour race with manditory mulitple driver changes may be interesting. The idea of teaming up with fellow racers and competing would be fun.

Dave

Cobra-R

Having at least one enduro would be a blast. Dean Smeltzer and I ran the one at Road America last April and had a blast.

How about we work a 1 hr enduro into the ai/aix championship?

Brian

EricMeyer
Having at least one enduro would be a blast. Dean Smeltzer and I ran the one at Road America last April and had a blast.

How about we work a 1 hr enduro into the ai/aix championship?

Brian

Like a 1 hour Sprint race during Championship weekend at RA in Oct?

Rustic

I would enjoy running one or two just for the experience.

roadracerwhite

Interested in running 1 enduro? (yes/no): YES

An entire series of Enduros?: sounds interesting if I could get the car to stay together,second thought no

For racers---what time of the day/when do we run this event so it does not conflict with racing/points?: End of day on SAT?? maybe...I am up for suggestions

What track/tracks (if only running 1 Enduro): Road America, Putnam,

What day of the weekend and/or time should we run it (Sat/Sun, AM/PM)?: pm last event on Sat???

How long (miles/time): 1.5 to 3 hrs

Who else/what other drivers/clubs, etc. might be interested in an Enduro:?

Championship end of year event?: maybe best

Wacky alternative ideas/other:

m glassburner

Come on guys a "real enduro" is at least 3+ hrs long IMHO ...At least long enough to refuel 2 times,change drivers and maybe run into the darkness ??

nape
Come on guys a "real enduro" is at least 3+ hrs long IMHO ...At least long enough to refuel 2 times,change drivers and maybe run into the darkness ??

Just a comment about running in darkness, quite a few of the big bore race cars don't have headlights or the wiring to put them back on anymore so that would probably lower the participation. I doubt people would want to spend the money on a light setup for one enduro if that's what ends up happening, but I could be wrong.

I'd do like the enduro idea though, I'd love to crew for it.

RichardC

Just a comment about running in darkness, quite a few of the big bore race cars don't have headlights or the wiring to put them back on anymore so that would probably lower the participation. I doubt people would want to spend the money on a light setup for one enduro if that's what ends up happening, but I could be wrong.

I'd do like the enduro idea though, I'd love to crew for it.

2 refuels isn't an issue for the big bore cars, some might be refueling twice an hour.

I haven't driven the long course at Autobahn, would that make a good enduro course?

TJ, if I ever did an Enduro I might take you up on the offer to crew, that's if you don't mind working on a Ford.

Richard.

D Algozine

Richard brings up a good idea. How about an enduro on the Monday after the Autobahn event? Mondays are the only days to get the full track at AB. The full track is very cool at AB. Having a Monday enduro after the sprint races takes the pressure off of the points races. There could be HPDE's, practice, and qualifying just like a typical race day, except run the enduro right after lunch.

Dave

D Algozine

All right you got my mind completely off of work.

What about a mulit-regional enduro?

Teams from each region compete against each other within thier respective classes, ie AI, AIX, GTS, Honda Challenge etc..... One day event at a centrally located track with various regions, anywhere from 2-? regions at one time. If it catches on, we could have our own version of the 25 hour race on the west coast. Make it 3,6 or 12 hours long.

EricMeyer
All right you got my mind completely off of work.

What about a mulit-regional enduro?

Teams from each region compete against each other within thier respective classes, ie AI, AIX, GTS, Honda Challenge etc..... One day event at a centrally located track with various regions, anywhere from 2-? regions at one time. If it catches on, we could have our own version of the 25 hour race on the west coast. Make it 3,6 or 12 hours long.

Autobahn. July. Midwest vs. OH/IN. Monday after our event. Full track. ?

loudes13

I've done the MC enduro at Gman every year since it started in 2000 (6hrs the 1st couple years, then 10hrs).

MC will not be doing an enduro in 2006. Our team would be very interested!

nape

TJ, if I ever did an Enduro I might take you up on the offer to crew, that's if you don't mind working on a Ford.

Richard.

That would depend on if Denton, Franklin, and White run. I'll go racing any way I can, but those guys are at the top of my list to crew since they've helped me so much with everything about starting out. I probably wouldn't even have my car trackable if they hadn't let me hang around them

If we do run an enduro and it's at Autobahn, I'm trying to get a bunch of my Thirdgen.org buddies to come to get a taste of road racing since it's convieniently close for them. I might be able to rustle up a few volunteers. I'm trying to pass on the go-fast crack pipe, no better way to do it then being part of the experience

RichardC

The Enduro chat has gone quiet:

How about the "6hrs of Autobahn".

Multiple classes based on NASA enduro rules with a minimum of 4 driver changes.

Keep the ideas flowing guys.

Richard.

D.I.D. Race Engineering

Richard.

I know if there was enough advertising ahead of time at the Autobahn quite a few members would participate. I'll be bringing it up to people at the Autobahn this Friday for the Christmas party. I'll let you know how many people from there would have interest in it.

D Algozine

Richard.

Sounds great. I think 6 hours is a good length, full track at Autobahn on Monday, July 24th after our regular weekend. 2-4 drivers and a total 6-8 mandatory 5 minute pit stops. The regulated number and length of stops will equalize the fuel milage, and also promote safe pit stops.

Eirewolf

Interested in running 1 enduro? (yes/no): YES, It's why i got into NASA

An entire series of Enduros?: YES

For racers---what time of the day/when do we run this event so it does not conflict with racing/points?: Day, but my car has lights so i don't care

What track/tracks (if only running 1 Enduro): don't know enough to answer.

What day of the weekend and/or time should we run it (Sat/Sun, AM/PM)?: Sunday i guess.

How long (miles/time): 3 hours at least. I'd settle for 2 if it was all i could get.

Who else/what other drivers/clubs, etc. might be interested in an Enduro:? don't know. Maybe the Spec Neon guys.

Championship end of year event?: sure, why not?

Wacky alternative ideas/other: wacky idea: let's run a few!! Try to set up 3 this year.

Den34

Here are some thoughts and math on running a 3 hr enduro on the

Autobahn South course with a American Iron car. The calculations would be entirely different for a small bore car.

3 hours =180 minutes

1:38 lap is running good fast, 1minutes 40 seconds good race pace

180minutes / 1.40(1.66 minutes) =108.43 laps

108 laps x 2 mile track = 216 miles

216 miles at 4.5 mpg =48 gallons of fuel. My car gets 4.5 - 6 mpg under raace conditions)

This is key considering most cars have a 22 gallon cell.

This means two stops or you hope to get 6mpg.

If you got 6 mpg you would need 36 gallons and you could make it on one stop. Barely. Looks like it would be a lot of fun!

Just something to get the thoughts sturring.

Bob Denton

AI #67

Pontiac Firebird.

swhiteh3

Bob- You're calculating this like a sprint driver. Let me put my crew chief hat on for a minute...

What are the chances the entire race will be under green flag conditions?

How much fuel will you save (from reduced pace, and reduced lap count) due to traffic?

How much time will you spend in the pits (when you're not burning gas)?

How much fuel will you use during recon and pace laps?

How much fuel can your car actually pick up from the 22 gallon tank?

In NASA racing, I'd much rather see a minimum number of pit stops per car, and a minimum pit stop duration. Rushing pit stops and cutting the number to maximize fuel windows are both bad ideas without teams that have experience.

EricMeyer

Sounds great. We should look to see who really has interest in this and go from there. Some of the things I heard were at the Focus Group event at AutobCC were "my car is going to be driven hard on the weekend and if we shoot for an enduro on the following Monday, she might break". I wonder how many people feel that way?

Also, I recall Bill Marquardt offering that there is NO council enduro at Gingerman this year during (Memorial day?) weekend. Might be something to think about. I'll see if Mem day at Autobahn (full track) is available.

Could be a really fun Joint venture that pulls many drivers (including NON NASA) to this event. Make a big deal out of it. Do an annual event each year on the Monday with TV coverage and the whole 9 yards.

Wadaya think guys?

Sidney

The MC Enduro at Gingerman was always on Labor Day weekend. They ran Sprint races and Enduro qualifying on Saturday and the 10 Hours Du Man on Sunday. Monday was used for Autocross.

Sidney

AI #64

EricMeyer
The MC Enduro at Gingerman was always on Labor Day weekend. They ran Sprint races and Enduro qualifying on Saturday and the 10 Hours Du Man on Sunday. Monday was used for Autocross.

Sidney

AI #64

WHOOPS....What would I do without you. Scratch Memorial, make that Labor. Good for those who want to attend Indy500 and live in Indianapolis and who drive a white 2005 Mustang. By the way, you can rent the Indy Motor Speedway: 100K a day. SUPER ENDURO AT INDY!!!

swhiteh3

For that kind of money, most people's wallet's will break long before their cars do....

loudes13

At least we could put more than 6 cars on the track