LS1 Camaro CMC Build

JJKJ

The Mt Dew can is my back-up catch can.

Thanks Bob. Engenius thought, I didn't think of using the BBQ as a tool heater, but up until now it's made a great parts shelf.

• 2 months later...

Had a few weeks that were too busy to work on the car, but work has resumed. All the wiring is complete and dash installed. Some updated pics:

First some metal art from Alan Blaine with his steering wheel quick release adapter and brake plenums. Pic also shows Delaney adapters with SKF racing hubs:

028%202_zpsiliz2wnq.jpg

030%202_zpsiksqzs3u.jpg

026%202_zps9evlzusr.jpg

A shot of underdash area. With the factory HVAC system gone, I felt I needed air flow for defog on cool humid days. I guess my history of racing in the NW gave me an appreciation for having the ability to defog on those type of days. I also retained the wiring for the factory rear defog. I used a boat bilge blower that will pull warm air from the firewall/underdash area and exit through the factory defog vent.

021_zpsjgfnvnk8.jpg

Dash reinstalled:

031_zpscisdy9tu.jpg

026_zpsfwcwtbkv.jpg

025%202_zpsatqh93a0.jpg

030_zpsmwrrdprh.jpg

Next up will be running brake lines and then the drivetrain will go in. Drivetrain installation should go pretty quick since it is completely assembled on the cradle. I've got a pretty decent list to complete if I want to participate in the Autobahn Apr event:

Brake lines

Install drivetrain

Plumb oil cooler

Plumb brake cooling

Reroute fuel tank vent line

Install ARP studs in rear axles

Hood and hatch pins

Get trailer prepared and organized

Autobahn in Apr will be an HPDE event so I won't need dyno. The list I have following Apr but before first race:

Fire system (have a legal fire extinguisher now, but would like a system in place before first race)

Driver safety equipment

Add rear diff catch can

Numbers, required decals

Purchase and install transponder (wiring already in place)

• 2 weeks later...

The car looks flawless, and how do you ever keep the garage so clean? You must have lost track of the hours invested so far. Personally, I would save the Camaro and drive the Audi on track Nice job John.

Beautiful

very nice work

Thanks Al!

The car looks flawless, and how do you ever keep the garage so clean? You must have lost track of the hours invested so far. Personally, I would save the Camaro and drive the Audi on track Nice job John.

Thanks Jim. There are flaws, I've just worked hard at hiding them. I floated the idea to the Boss of driving the Audi in HPDE at Autobahn if my Camaro isn't ready. Her reaction was, um, "less than supportive". I have no clue how many hours are invested to this point, but I am feeling like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Work is progressing nicely:

Drivetrain is back in. Harness and new gauge wiring connected. Working on oil cooler lines next. After that is installing the radiator, but I have some trimming to do on the top radiator shroud to fit the new thicker core.

Brake lines run and bled. I was very happy with how the brake lines turned out. The NiCopp lines were very easy to work with for a novice. I never flared a line previous to this project and with patience they all turned out great--no leaks. I did have one of my compression fittings leak on an SS line coming out of the MC, but I disassembled it, made sure I had together correctly and put it back together. All dry after second attempt; not sure what caused the leak to begin with.

A few other details complete like window net and harness anchors in place. I had to use Schroth bolt-in anchors which my snap-in belts will attach to. My fabricator installed 1/2" weldnuts for anchor points and Schroth sends 7/16" hardware with all their harnesses. Thankfully they sell a bolt-in anchor that accommodates a 1/2" bolt.

Electrically powered up the car and all accessories work, so that that is a nice relief. Hopefully the engine harness will have the same result. My approach to wiring was probably a little non-standard compared to how most are doing their cars. Rather than completely removing the factory harnesses, I modified the existing harnesses by disassembling them and removing all unnecessary wiring. I know I'm taking a bit of a weight penalty by following this approach, but I felt it was the best route considering I retained the lights, wipers, factory cooling fans and a couple other items.

012_zpsoric1whr.jpg

015_zpswbkupfrl.jpg

016_zpsdzrttdxx.jpg

018_zpsbsc4gr8a.jpg

023_zpsp2gi2kn6.jpg

024_zps7lkzblfd.jpg

Car looks great.

Do those Schroth lap belt anchors swivel? If no, you'll want to orient them in the direction of belt tension when you're cinching down the lap belts. You don't want to come up with extra room in a hard impact due to the anchors rotating.

Thanks TJ. Yes the anchors swivel; they are mounted on 1/2" shoulder bolts and rotate freely. Schroth also says they can be bent or twisted up to 90 degrees to optimize orientation. I think I'll end up bending them about 10-15 degrees to align them with the belt pull.